Do you think iCloud Drive will be disabled in iOS 8 GM?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TheDeviceUser, Aug 31, 2014.

1. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

A lot of people have mentioned that once people upgrade to iCloud Drive, documents on other devices are not available until they are upgraded to iOS 8/Yosemite. Since it's quite possible Yosemite won't be released until October (As per Mavericks), do you think it's possible that they'll disable iCloud Drive until then so that people don't loose access to documents on the Mac. This would be in a similar fashion to what they did with iCloud Keychain last year. It was in all the iOS 7 beta's and was then removed from the GM until iOS 7.0.3 which added it back in along with numerous other fixes.

What do you think? I personally think it would be a good idea. Many 'juggles' would simply click 'ok' to upgrading to iCloud drive and could be left in a situation where they loose access to documents for potentially over a month. Do you think Apple will do it?

2. KrisLord macrumors 65816

You make a good point but I'm hoping you're wrong! I see the iCloud Drive (and the reduced storage prices) as a bigger feature of iOS than keychain was of ios 7. Therefore I think it has to be in ios 8 from the start. Hopefully they'll make a change to Mavericks to make it all work.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Many people here (and probably elsewhere as well) have already lost access to their iCloud documents, because they either didn't read the install option correctly, got confused, or didn't pay attention to what they were doing etc.

I don't see Apple disabling iCloud Drive with the official release of Yosemite.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

They definitely won't disable it for Yosemite, but OP is talking about iOS 8. Could well happen...

5. lenard macrumors 6502

It doesn't matter, both systems will be alive for sometime, they are both working now. Who ever updates to IOS 8 will only be able to use iCloud Drive, it's a better solution anyway. Not every Mavricks user will update to 8.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Thats an extraordinarily small sample. Like 0.02% of iPhone install base use the dev beta. And of those, and even smaller percentage are those who didn't read first, and clicked blindly screwing themselves.

Im with the OP. Apple is hopefully considering this.

7. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Any chance that Apple would update iCloud Docs to iCloud Drive on Mavericks? I think it's possible, otherwise Mac users are going to be stuck!

If that's not happening, iCloud Drive will be available later in October.

OP: Very good point, never thought about this issue because Yosemite doesn't release until late October.

8. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

They may include compatibility into 10.9.5 and release it with the iOS 8 GM since everyone may not upgrade to 10.10 immediately.

9. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Yea, I agree with everyone here on their ideas. They have two options:

1. Disable iCloud drive on iOS8 and reenable it with an 8.0.X or 8.1 update when Yosemite launches in late October. (They have done this before. e.g. Game Center They announced it with the iOS 4 preview, but wasn't released until 4.1.)
    2. Issue a compatibility update for Mavericks, and release iCloud drive on launch day. Users of the public beta and the developer previews can enable it right away. I can't recall of they have had a ecosystem wide feature that they have done this for. maybe the iCloud launch in 2011?

Bottom line I will be happy with either decision, but I think it will be number 2, as it is a key selling point of Yosemite, and that will almost certainly not be a launched on the 9th.

10. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Option 2, while it makes sense, is unlikely if they want everyone to upgrade to Mavericks. Something like this happened with the Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion transition - a bunch of iCloud sync features were added, and Snow Leopard was just abandoned pretty much after that.

With the cost of the current upgrade being zero dollars, Apple will probably just ask you to upgrade instead of adding code to make things all work.

11. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

That's true. Documents & Data still works in iOS 8 provided that you don't upgrade to iCloud drive. It just won't sync back to Macs running Yosemite. (Though you can still go to iCloud.com is a work around for iWork stuff.) This and the quote above supports even more evidence that they will go with option 1 that I mentioned above.

12. alezano macrumors member

Just wondering, why are you so sure that they won't release Yosemite alongside ios8?

13. TheDeviceUser thread starter macrumors 6502a

We can't be, Apple could simply just announce that Yosemite is available 'today' next Tuesday. However, judging by last year's history, we'd expect that Yosemite would be due for release in October (Like Mavericks) along with new Mac's being available. Which is fairly likely for this fall.

Therefore, I think it's a fairly safe (but by no means certain) bet that Yosemite won't be released alongside iOS 8.

14. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I can not imagine Apple temporarily removing a feature that has been so heavily mentioned by Apple in the announcements. I suspect what will happen is it will be released and at the same time Yosemite will be also. It won't be next Tuesday, but will be the actual day when you can get your hands on a iPhone 6 and/or IOS8. Frankly, I have been using Yosemite since the public beta was released and have had absolutely no problems with it at all. Appears to me that it is ready to go now.

15. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I still have some issues with it. It randomly reboots on me, for one.

16. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

I would say its highly likely that iCloud Drive will be disabled with iOS 8, and later enabled along with Yosemite. It makes no sense updating Mavericks, as it's one of the reasons touted to upgrade to Yosemite. Users will be eased into upgrading from Documents & Data via the setup utility that now appears every time you update iOS.

17. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

This is exactly the reason why I think that.

18. alezano macrumors member

Thanks for explaining! ;)

19. Padmini macrumors 6502a

There still is no way to actually use it from iOS 8.

Unless of course you count unreleased beta versions of Pages/Numbers/Keynote....which by themselves, already use "Documents in the Cloud" to store files.

----------

No, they will not.

20. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

Maybe they will surprise us and release the ios8 GM and yosemite on 9thseptember (since is both free) and all of you will be wrong with guesses.

Just sayin'.

21. alezano macrumors member

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that this will be the case. Most people are saying that Yosemite is at a very good point in development.

22. shandyman Suspended

You do realise that apps need to be updated to use the new API's relating to iCloud Drive? So of course there will be ways to actually use it. That's why only Apple apps use it in iOS 8 Beta....

----------

How do you know? Any sources? They may do.

23. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I'm having one of those old time Apple moments when we expected a ton of stuff at an event, and Apple only delivered about half of them if we were lucky. Depending on who you believe the upcoming event is announcing:

iOS8
    New iPhones (3 screen sizes)
    Apple Wearable (watch with a ton of sensors)
    Home Kit integration on new iOS/New Phones/Watch
    Possible hardware from apple for Home Kit
    Health Kit integration on new iOS/New Phones/Watch
    Maybe Yosemite

Each of those are huge in their own right and have many aspects that could be changed or postponed. Never mind upcoming iPads and other usual fall releases.

24. Padmini macrumors 6502a

1. 3rd party Apps yes. However, there is still no way to actually access iCloud Drive itself on iOS. They've shown screen shots of iCloud Drive on iOS....it has a bit of a file manager aspect....its not just "within an App's Open/Share sheet" any longer.

2. How do I know? Really? Are you gonna play that game? They are not adding iCloud Drive to Mavericks. You know this. I know this.

25. shandyman, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

shandyman Suspended

Do you think iCloud Drive will be disabled in iOS 8 GM?

1. Why do we need a separate app to access iCloud Drive?! It's redundant. It's part of the share sheet, does not need to be anymore than that.

2. No, we don't know this. You're presenting guesses as facts. Not the same thing. iCloud is already in finder in Mavericks. iCloud Drive is just an expansion of this. I'm not saying they will bring iCloud Drive to Mavericks, I'm just pointing out that until the announcement or at launch, we don't know for certain.