Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You Think iPhone X Will Sell Out Quickly ????

• in 30 Minutes

Votes: 43 11.9%
  • in 20 Minutes

Votes: 19 5.3%
  • in 10 Minutes

Votes: 58 16.1%
  • in 5 Minutes

Votes: 107 29.7%
  • in 1 Minutes

Votes: 111 30.8%
  • Same as 8/8 Plus ( No one care )

Votes: 22 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think you mean to ask, "will the iPhone X sell out quickly?"

Having the question in past tense might make people panic and think they missed the start of pre-orders already! LOL.

But to further clarify, what constitutes being sold out? Do you mean when the expected delivery date is no longer November 3rd?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think it will see out within about 10 minutes, meaning that dates will start slipping. I think you should rephrase your question tho because it sounds like you are asking people if the iPhone X has already sold out quick, it isn't even out yet.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Last edited by a moderator:

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Once around 3-5 minutes rolls around it'll probably be around 3-4 weeks like usual, just hope it doesn't reach 6-8 too quickly. And I do honestly believe most ppl understood what he was conveying in his poll question....

Reactions: BeeGood

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
Come on, guys. I think it's fair to assume that the question is meant to be future tense.

I had two people tell me over the weekend that they weren't fast enough to order the iPhone X on Friday so not everyone knew it wasn't even available to begin with. If you weren't paying attention during the order process I wouldn't be surprised if it looked like iPhone X was sold out/unavailable on Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Once around 3-5 minutes rolls around it'll probably be around 3-4 weeks like usual, just hope it doesn't reach 6-8 too quickly. And I do honestly believe most ppl understood what he was conveying in his poll question....

3-4 weeks back order within 3-5 minutes is normal? Seriously, how do that many people order that fast?

Anyway, maybe it won't be so bad for the X. There are a few unique factors to consider.

- It's launching later so they have more time to build up an initial stock.
- A lot of people will have already decided to get an 8 or 8 Plus instead.
- The price will be a deal breaker for many.
- Things like the notch, lack of home button, and lack of TouchID will also be deal breakers for some.

I have no doubt that it will be successful, but I don't see the X being a record breaker for Apple.
[doublepost=1505741951][/doublepost]
I had two people tell me over the weekend that they weren't fast enough to order the iPhone X on Friday so not everyone knew it wasn't even available to begin with. If you weren't paying attention during the order process I wouldn't be surprised if it looked like iPhone X was sold out/unavailable on Friday.

Yeah, but people on this forum?

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I have no doubt that it will be successful, but I don't see the X being a record breaker for Apple.

I think it will be. There are a lot of people that like having the latest and greatest whether they need it or not, and this will be the current status symbol for many.

Reactions: webbuzz

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think it will be. There are a lot of people that like having the latest and greatest whether they need it or not, and this will be the current status symbol for many.

That's true, but the X is still going to lose sales because many have already bought the 8 or 8 Plus, and even with the later launch it's likely that the supply is still lower than in previous years where they only had 1 or 2 new models to produce and no bottleneck of OLED screens. So even if the X sells out instantly it might not be a record breaker simply due to the fact that they don't have as many to sell.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Anyway, maybe it won't be so bad for the X. There are a few unique factors to consider.

- It's launching later so they have more time to build up an initial stock.
- A lot of people will have already decided to get an 8 or 8 Plus instead.
- The price will be a deal breaker for many.
- Things like the notch, lack of home button, and lack of TouchID will also be deal breakers for some.

You forget that a portion of the pre-order folk are just buying this to make a quick profit on the resale.

After all, the worst that can happen is they return the phone within the return window if they don't find a quick buyer.

These things can bring out the worst in some people.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'm confident the X will sell out. Be it scalpers, legit customers or Apple holding back the supply.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
Every year, the "most desirable" iPhone - e.g. Jet Black 7+ last year, gold 5S a few years ago - has its ship date slip almost immediately to 6+ weeks out.

I remember trying for a Jet Black 7+ at exactly 3AM EST last year and getting an estimated delivery date of late October, nearly two months out.
This was for a phone they were supply-constrained enough on that it wasn't even available in the lowest storage tier.

Given the 6-8 week lead time on even normal "most desirable" iPhones in past years, the fact that they're not even taking pre-orders until the end of October makes me think that they know even the earliest preorders won't see delivery until January.
They've probably calculated that taking pre-orders at the end of October for a January ship date is a better PR story than taking pre-orders in September for a January ship date - this keeps them in the same 6-8 week window that previous high-demand iPhones have had.

Additionally, the real story will be how many iPhone X units they allocate to each region. Demand for iPhone 7 was actually up worldwide except for China, where the iPhone is a status symbol and changes in physical design are more important than anything else. That makes me think they'll allocate the bulk of first-run iPhone X units to China, leaving North American supply even more limited than it already would be.

TLDR if you pre-order at exactly the first second you're humanly capable of adding it to your cart, you probably still won't get one until January 2018.

Reactions: turbo350z

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Every year, the "most desirable" iPhone - e.g. Jet Black 7+ last year, gold 5S a few years ago - has its ship date slip almost immediately to 6+ weeks out.

I remember trying for a Jet Black 7+ at exactly 3AM EST last year and getting an estimated delivery date of late October, nearly two months out.
This was for a phone they were supply-constrained enough on that it wasn't even available in the lowest storage tier.

Given the 6-8 week lead time on even normal "most desirable" iPhones in past years, the fact that they're not even taking pre-orders until the end of October makes me think that they know even the earliest preorders won't see delivery until January.
They've probably calculated that taking pre-orders at the end of October for a January ship date is a better PR story than taking pre-orders in September for a January ship date - this keeps them in the same 6-8 week window that previous high-demand iPhones have had.

Additionally, the real story will be how many iPhone X units they allocate to each region. Demand for iPhone 7 was actually up worldwide except for China, where the iPhone is a status symbol and changes in physical design are more important than anything else. That makes me think they'll allocate the bulk of first-run iPhone X units to China, leaving North American supply even more limited than it already would be.

TLDR if you pre-order at exactly the first second you're humanly capable of adding it to your cart, you probably still won't get one until January 2018.

I think with the delayed release and with the price being $300 dollars more this year, plus the iPhone 8/8 Plus already on sale - I think it will definitely be supply constrained but not as bad as January 2018, unless you preorder a week after it goes on sale. If you are up as soon as the preorders open, you should be able to get it for November 3rd delivery, after about 5 minutes it will slip to 3-4 weeks, then after 10 minutes 4-6 weeks, then 15 minutes 6 to 8 etc. I also think Apple will estimated longer, but deliver faster.

Reactions: Newbie67

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
I expect Apple to want to sell as many phones as possible before year end and over the holidays. I do expect the date to slip With the hour for sure but also expect those preordering with the first few hours to acquire a device before the end of the year.

The interesting thing to keep in mind is in other cases with limited availability (jet black). There were other models for Apple to have customers fall back on. E.g. they were less likely to turn away customers in the first 50-100 lined up at a store / first few minutes of ordering because these customers would buy another color, capacity of the same phone. In this case, if supply is as bad as believed, they may lose customers going given how long the wait between the 8 and X is.

It’s an interesting launch. That said, launching in 30 countries simultaneously with severely constrained stock is bold. Courageous even.

GetSwole37

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I hope that by the time I can get mine, it's pushed all the way to Dec or Jan. Then that way I can skip it.

That is what will keep me from buying it. I'll buy it but before I play w it, I'll go to store and check it out in person and decide to keep or not.

Reactions: patricem
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.