Do you think the iPhone will ever get a micro SD card slot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Me-Wow, May 16, 2014.

1. Me-Wow macrumors newbie

If it did, that would be great. They could have the three variants of price based on screen size, as opposed to storage.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No.

Imagine having to teach your mother/grandmother how to point some apps to local storage, some to SD storage, etc. And you can see why Apple is not likely to go that way.

Also, they make BANK on the locked in storage upgrades they sell.

3. Kingmoak macrumors newbie

There are other issues with the file system and mounting the SD and unmounting. Some android makers are forgoing MicroSD too probably for cost as well as mounting confusion.

But sooner or later Apple has to stop making 8gb and 16gb models. As iOS gets larger it makes those models unusable.

4. Me-Wow thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, Apple could make it simple to use. In regard to Apple making money on the locked in storage upgrades, they could, as I said before, use screen upgrades as their money-maker.

----------

Yeah, surely this year Apple will make the 32GB the base model (I hope).

5. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Between various iOS devices, the major option is increased storage. Do you think Apple is interested in forgoing that extra $100 - $300 per sale to give you the option to add more storage at a fraction of the cost later?

6. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I would much rather pay a one time cost for extra storage, no matter how much it is, than to have low built in storage and get a sd card. I wouldn't mind more built in storage though. I would gladly pay for it.

7. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Nope, I can't imagine putting micro SD card in my iphone, it will slow the system etc. For me 16 gigs are more than enough :)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I'm fine with the current catalog of iPhones. I wouldn't complain if they increased base model storage and introduced a 256gb model on the high end.

But I do not want to manage data on a separate sd card. There is no way to make sd storage simple enough for people like my parents. And after spending 3 years at a Genius Bar I can state confidently that the average consumer wouldn't have a clue how to manage it either. Most can't even manage the internal storage. :p

10. zipa macrumors 65816

So... No difference, then?

I'd like it, but not holding my breath waiting for one. Time to get rid of the 16 gig models, though.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

256GB of storage for a cellphone?
    I don't see that happening any time soon.
    Even the 64GB that's available now sells very little compared to the other smaller storage options.
    Sure's there's some people who want the option but not that many actually do purchase them.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Can't ever see that happening. Apple is very particular in how data is introduced into it's devices.

It is why we are all stuck with iTunes which is my only complaint about the iOS system!

13. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

And this is the exact reason why I can't see Apple getting rid of the 16gb and making 128 the most.

I know it may have a lot to do with price, but the 64 gb sales a whole lot slower than the 16.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Of course. Right after they put the floppy disk drive back in the iMac.

15. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Because it's extremely expensive... $400 with contract is a lot of money and without contract it's about $900 almost and that's a lot for people who are in tight budget and many parents won't waste money on that size just to buy for their 10 year old kids.
    16GB is great for people who don't download game apps or store movies.

16. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

For you, but at the same time you must not listen to music, take pictures or video, use apps, or anything else besides use it as just a phone.

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

No they never will. It's just not a good business move. The user experience is better with flashed based storage too.

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

19. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I don't think that I have ever seen a thread with a stronger consensus, which I definitely agree with.

20. cube macrumors G5

The lack of a card slot is the main reason NOT to buy iPhone or Nexus.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think we'll ever see one on the iPhone, with the lack of an exposed file system, there's no functional reason to have one.

As for avoiding the Nexus or the iPhone, I have almost no need for them and I'd guess most consumers don't either.

I currently have a Lumia Icon which doesn't have a SD Card slot and I'm not missing it, even though the OS supports it.

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Since you are asking what we think Apple will do, answering requires looking at Apple's point of view.

Apple is making good money by selling phones with different amounts of memory. That's very easy for Apple to do. Why, from Apple's point of view, would they give this up?

If they sell iPhones with three different screen sizes, there is still no reason for Apple to give up making money by selling different sizes of storage.

You also seem to assume that Apple wants to charge more for a bigger screen. I don't think they will. Selling the bigger screen at the same price would make it clear that, unlike their competitors want to tell you, big screen is not something that you should pay money for. It's just a preference like what colour you buy. Getting that message out loud and clearly would really be a kick in the balls for Samsung.

All in all: Not going to happen.

23. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Never. Not needed anyway. Hopefully with the iPhone 6, 32GB will be the smallest capacity. I'm hoping a 128GB version is announced.

24. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Apple makes way too much money gouging consumers for memory upgrades, hey I know I have paid them for years usually opting for the 64gb models.

It's things like this which should be worked on, instead of faster processors, x64, and useless things like that. Figure out how to utilize a SD card that is easy on the consumer. Maybe allow it to have the same memory access as the built in memory so to the consumer it's invisible, with some kind of safe guard if they install apps onto it so they don't wonder where their app went when they pull the SD card out.

----------

Doesn't "Not needed anyway" kind of clash with "I'm hoping a 128gb version is announced"? Do you need the extra memory, or not?