Do you think there are any iOS7 surprises for Tuesday?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by spaceballl, Sep 8, 2013.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Aside from fingerprint reader integration, do you think there are some new iOS7 surprises that we can expect on Tuesday? Logic tells me that everything is already out of the bag, but my inner geek hopes that they have hid a couple cool new pieces of functionality and will reveal them on Tues!

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I doubt it. The release of iOS 7 and the new iPhones are likely less than 2 weeks away, so unveiling new features to the OS on Tuesday won't give developers enough time to properly test them with their apps.

3. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

If anything, I think it will be iPods... Apple included iPods in last year event, they might do it again. If so, new iPod Touch will have A6 processor with some improvement RAM?

I don't expect anything related with Mac...

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think they have usually had one or two features that are exclusive to the newest generation iPhone, so I'm sure there will be something. It may just have to do with the fingerprint scanner and possibly NFC so it may not be too much of a surprise though.

I also expect that the iPod classic will either be discontinued or given a sight bump to at least give it a lightning connector as it will be the only remaining iPod with the 30 pin connector and Apple seems to be trying to move the lineup away from that. Not sure if they would bother to mention that in the keynote, or if they would just update the online store though.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No. Maybe nested folders if that video is real, and maybe some new camera features for the 5S (120fps recording?).

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I think the surprises will be about the 5S not really iOS at this point.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That's assuming they are features that will be open to developers at this time. Or something so vital that developers must have it included now.

8. pmau macrumors 65816

There's no need to release iOS beta with features nobody can test because they don't have the hardware. Things like FP sensor and NFC might well be an undisclosed feature that was not part of the betas.

Also camera features need no beta.

ATV media sharing (streaming your iTunes purchases at a friends home) need no beta.

There might be a lot of things Apple can do that don't need to be tested by devs.

(NFC is dead anyways, IMO)

9. uhaas macrumors 6502

uhaas

I thought iBeacons would kill NFC as well, then front page: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/07...ngerprint-scanner-and-nfc-circuitry-surfaces/

10. iphonehype macrumors 6502

11. jredecop macrumors 6502a

12. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

I predict they'll introduce the first iOS 7 compatible game controller and demo it for a few minutes. Not really a surprise, but that will be the closest thing to an iOS surprise as we'll see. Unlock animations will be smoother and not so intrusive, but everybody is predicting this. Maybe they'll reveal new wireless payment options that they kept out of the betas.

13. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Updated sounds, more wallpapers (dynamic + stills), option to purchase additional dynamic wallpapers, faster animations (possibly).

14. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I think we'll only see more and more use for NFC in the future, as peripherals become more advanced. One such example is Sony's new QX lens camera. With an iPhone, you have to set up the connection from the phone to the camera manually. On a NFC enabled phone, all you have to do is put the phone in the grip of the camera and the connection is made instantly and automatically, making for a much faster ready-time than with an iPhone. And these cameras have already been put on huge preorders by tons of resellers - I think Apple would be wise to get on the NFC train soon.

15. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Wouldn't surprise me, Siri wasn't really known about until literally the day before and even then wildly all over the place in terms of rumors.

16. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I think Siri was leaked way before. I downloaded the app before it stopped working when I heard the rumor the new phone was getting siri.

17. pmau macrumors 65816

I'm only arguing against NFC because of this:

http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/bluetooth.html

Especially if you read the last paragraph, Bluetooth LE is already present in ATV and newer iPhones, its protocol offers way more flexibility than NFC.

The only advantage is the passive NFC tags that might be used in stores to trigger some response for advertizing etc.

I'm not saying NFC is bad, I'm saying it will be obsolete before becoming successful. You'll see much more uses for Bluetooth LE in the future than the gimmicks that NFC can do today.

18. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Nested folders may become reality, although probably only on iPhone 5 and above due to "hardware limitations" of the previous gen (4S).

*sarcasm : p

19. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Flexibility but not speed. In the case of the Sony lenscam, that insta-connect would not be possible with Bluetooth. That kind of setup speed is a necessity in the case of a camera of course, but would offer a kind of comfort over Bluetooth also in other cases. For example I can see wireless charging becoming more and more used in the future, and a NFC tag embedded in the charging mat might then be used to instantly set the phone to specific presets for that mat, like night mode w/ specific alarm times etc. for certain times of day, then another set of presets for the charging mat at work, etc.

It might be possible to use bluetooth for the same functionality, but the quicker connect puts an edge on the user experience. Exactly the kind of detail that Apple concerns themselves with. The much shorter range might also speak for NFC from a security standpoint (especially in at-work scenarios).

This is an area of use that actually could explode in the coming years. One-touch to load a discount coupon straight into your phone, then just scan it at the cashier. NFC over Bluetooth because the tag wouldn't need power, and again for the insta-connect enhancing the customer experience.

Well, we'll see. To me it seems that NFC can be useful way past the "gimmicks" mostly seen today - the Sony lenscams are a good example. And I don't think a major tech corp like that would invest in a doomed technology for such a mainstream product. That Apple patent might be quite a sign as well.

20. Markyyy macrumors regular

Here's hoping for darker UI theme which isnt so blindingly bright-looking on black iPhones/iPads! I'm hoping the garageband app will be updated with better functionality, more options for editing sound (eg. variable volume control) but maybe they'll just make a Logic Pro mobile version.

21. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

22. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

23. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The 4-inch screen was pretty much unknown until the announcement of the iPhone 5 last year.

24. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

That wasn't an surprise operating system feature though.

I guess I should clarify my statement - iOS 7, as it relates to existing hardware, is likely complete, with no new surprises. Any new features at this point would most likely be related to new hardware features in the new iPhones.

25. ds705 macrumors member

well during the keynote

there was a bunch of camera features that seem exclusive to the 5s like slow motion video 60fps etc