Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
I use mine every day to get up for school, never had a problem with the app in all 4 iPhones

So yes, I trust it and you should too, don't listen to the media

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Yes and yes. I use it daily. So far, fortunately, it hasn't failed.
I think I'm less prone to screw it up as compared with my regular old beside alarm clock.

sidefx

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2010
How come no one here was affected with the new years bug, and the new os update bug that caused the reoccurring alarms not to go off within this past year?

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
When did I ever say anything about me listening to the media about this? All I said was that it has failed, at least I think so, a few times recently.

I don't know, I just thought your distrust in the clock app might've been a result of this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/03/technology/03iphone.html

http://www.9to5mac.com/45310/new-years-2011-breaks-non-recurring-iphon e-alarm-clocks

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-03/tech/iphone.alarm_1_alarms-iphone-twitter-user?_s=PM:TECH

Liberal

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2011
Connecticut
I set my normal alarm clock and my iPhone every night for the same time and my iPhone has been 100% reliable while there has been days my normal alarm clock has not gone off for whatever reason.

The alarm on iPhones are very reliable, at least they have been in my experience.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
How come no one here was affected with the new years bug, and the new os update bug that caused the reoccurring alarms not to go off within this past year?

Well, I read about it ahead of time and did whatever was recommended. PLUS, it was a holiday and I weekend I believe, so I would not need to get up early using a recurring alarm anyway.

I use a recurring alarm at 4:15AM M-F with the only issues being user-error (i.e. turning the alarm off within the clock app when I adjust my wake-up times or have a day off and forgetting to set it back to the usual time). I have used it as my only alarm for 2-3 years now.

As for having your phone near you, is there really a text or phonecall that needs your attention so badly that you have to respond to it, right then and there? My friends and family would understand if I didn't get back to them if they called when I was sleeping...and I usually sleep with the phone on mute...alarm still goes off.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
Does anyone else have some type of problems with the alarm in the Clock app on the iPhone, or iPod touch I guess? I have always used the alarm for a long time and still use it but sometimes I think it doesn't work. Like every once in a while it won't go off, at least I think. I could just be turning it off while I'm sleeping still but I don't think so. Does this happen to anyone else?

yeah sometimes it doesn't wake me up, but that is more my fault for staying up late and possibly picking alarms that aren't very loud.

but I have never had actual problems with the stock clock app.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010

I know what you mean, Apple gets slammed enough in the mainstream media that I can live with it.

yeah sometimes it doesn't wake me up, but that is more my fault for staying up late and possibly picking alarms that aren't very loud.

The last time it happened to me I did stay up late when at an NBA game. But still if it went off then I must have turned it off while still asleep. Another thing I change the alarm sounds every so often so that I don't get too use to one. Right now I use the Digital alarm sound.

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
Since the day I bought my phone, I've been using the Alarm Clock app every weekday morning and occasionally during the weekends. So far so good.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Been using mine everyday for the past 2 years with no problems. Only during those couple of days a few months ago when everyone was having problems with the alarm not going off.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
my wife's 3gs has failed her a couple times in the past 2 weeks. It just didn't go off at all. Checked and it was set correctly.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Set two

Ive been using the alarm for years and since i have a tendency to turn my alarm off and go back to sleep, i set two alarms,sometimes three. The only time the alarm failed was on jan 3 ofthisyear.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
My 3G, and now my iPhone 4 have been my primary wake up call for over two years now. I trust it all the way. Only thing is I am kinda OCD and I check it 12 times every night to make sure I have set it to "on" but other than that it's great haha.

I also like that you can switch the phone to mute but the alarm still sounds. Not like that's super advanced or anything, but not all phones do it. I don't want little chirps from texts and emails waking me all night, I'm a light sleeper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.