Do you type in full sentences while on instant messenger?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Captain Awesome, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

I do, and I think I'm the only sixteen your old that does. Everyone I know just "types leik dis, u knoe?"
    In my opinion, it isn't worth saving two keystrokes and a couple seconds of time to make yourself look like a moron.

How do you tend to type on IM or email?

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't cut corners at all - I text exactly the same way I'd write anything else - including capitalization. I'm OCD about that. :)

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, I have gotten in the habit for some reason of typing only two or three words and then hitting enter, for no reason at all.

For example, the statement above would be like:
    No
    I have
    gotten in the habit
    for some reason
    of typing
    only two or three
    words and then
    hitting enter
    for no reason
    at all

Yes, I'm one of those morons. For the most part I spell things correctly. I do still say "iThink" and i spell guess with two "z's"... And I still use dots.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Full sentences (usually...questions that require a one word answer get a one word answer and such) and proper spelling and grammar. I hate that IM speak garbage. I'll use a lol, wtf, omg, imo, etc., but I will not use u, 4 (instead of for), bcuz, wat, dat, dis or any of that nonsense.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Full sentences, for the most part. Although, I will forgo proper grammar at times ... but I will never intentionally misspell words.

6. Captain Awesome thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's me. Even when I texted on my old Nokia, I still used full words.

What really grinds my gears is when I ask why, and they say "i dont care how i type it isnt skool"

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I do type in full sentences on instant messaging programs. Most of the people that I converse with talk in full sentences as well. I find it very short sighted of people to get into the habit of looking uneducated to save a few seconds.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Imagine what will happen when they get out into the real world, and they begin to look for a job.

Eventually, proper grammar, punctuation and spelling will be a thing of the past.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At that point it will be easier to grow up speaking is computer code.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Nobody I talk to on instant message talks 'leik dis' (kind of grew out of that sophomore year of high school), but I generally don't use perfect grammar/capitalization, though everything is always spelled right. If I'm talking to a few people on AIM at once while reading nyt.com it doesn't bother me much if I type 'wanna get something to eat?' as opposed to 'Do you want to get something to eat?'

11. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

As somebody who has looked at resumes of college graduates, it's worse than you think.

I've seen final projects for the end of a bachelor's degree in business administration that had text-messaging acronyms in it.

It's appalling, and it does set the people who take the time to communicate properly apart. Unless you've got an in, and then you'll get the job even if you forget to wear pants.

I drove my classmates nuts because all of my texts back to them were in full sentence form with proper capitalization, spelling and punctuation. They didn't respond to email, so I had to resort to texts to get them to do anything.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I do that too, and the fact that I had a BlackBerry made it even worse, because not only was everything correct - it was fast.

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You know it is getting bad if they have their own programming language.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm right there with you.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The sad thing is that at the company I work for, we have an internal IM application that everyone uses a lot since everyone is so spread out (I have coworkers in every region of the US that I work with on a daily basis so IM is huge), and people still use the IM speak crap all the time, if you read some of my IM logs, you would think I was talking with a bunch of 12 year old tweens on AIM, not corporate professionals who hold at least one college degree. I just hope when they IM their boss they don't talk like that.

Maybe their thought is they already have a job, and it's just IM and I'm not their boss so they don't need to type coherently, but it just reflects badly on them IMO.

16. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Sometimes, I do weep for the future of our language. It drives me up the wall to see text speak all over the place. I don't know, maybe I just had to type one too many 10+ page research papers in college or something. I hate to think of myself as a grammar Nazi, but I have turned into one as people have lost their ability to use grammar. I don't even have text messaging on my phone, partly because it is such a pain in the neck for me to type complete, correct sentences. It's hard enough on my work Blackberry, much less my phone that doesn't have a full keyboard.

17. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Normally, no. I find it sort of snobby when no one else I chat with is :p

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Me too. If it just stayed centralized to unprofessional IMing outside the work place, I could live with it, but it seems to be taking over. I wonder when the first novel to be written in lolspeak will be released, it can't be that far off....at least it'll save a couple trees.

19. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

My friend's cousin's five year old understands "leet" writing better than english itself.

20. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

What, may I ask, is "leet"?

21. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It's sad how far it has spread. I have friends my age, who are college educated, who send me actual emails with that stuff plastered all over. OK, I can ALMOST understand if you are texting from a tiny number pad, but I really don't understand doing this stuff when you have a normal keyboard to use. Geesh.

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

23. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I do the the exact same thing. and the iKnow, iThink, iDont:p

24. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Haha, that's exactly what I do! My friend that I talk to a lot gets fairly annoyed with me though, as by the time he clicks on the window, some of the messages are already out of the window.

Also, I never, ever, ever use "lol", "wtf", "rofl", "omg", or anything like that when I talk, whether it be on a cell phone keypad, or on my Apple Aluminum keyboard. I also strongly dislike talking to people that talk like that (I sometimes either force them to talk like a normal human being, or cease talking to them altogether.

25. cpit macrumors newbie

I'm guilty of using pointless abbreviations and shortcuts on IM and facebook, but I always use proper grammar when emailing people such as teachers (I'm 16, so I don't encounter the professional world much). I find that the grammar you use sets the tone for the conversation, and it just doesn't feel right to talk all "grammatically correct" with friends. It even feels necessary to abbreviate a lot of what I say when texting, as the part of texting is to say what ya gotta say in very few words.

However, there is a line that a lot of people cross that I hate. A few of my friends on facebook write so messed up that I gave up trying to translate their status updates. They say stuff like "omgggggg im lke s fkn brd rght now lke i tatelly dnt wnt ta do my hw lke omgggg jst kll me now i cnt hndle dis."

I find that the kind of people who write like that are also the kind of people who say stuff I really don't care about, so maybe in the end they're preventing me from wasting my time.