Do you upgrade your apple products at every cycle?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tktaylor1, Dec 13, 2011.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I have a friend who is a super apple fanboy. I was talking to him the other day and I asked if he upgrades when something new comes out. He said yes. He has had every macbook pro, iMac, iPad, and iPhone since they came out (with the exception of the macbook pro. he does upgrade those every year though). Does this not get really expensive? He is a graphic designer and makes decent money, and still lives at home.

I was wondering if anybody here does this, and how does it not break the bank?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope.

I'm sure many people could pull it off without breaking the bank, but what's the point of upgrading every device to every newer model? Still have my 2010 MBP and it's fine ...

3. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Yea, that's what I have. I thought about upgrading when the new cycle comes around but idk. I might wait until mine dies, or if something spectacular comes out.

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Still have my 2007 MacBook. Threw Lion on it though and upgraded the RAM to 4GB.

Other than it's still going strong.

I also have the iPhone 4. Waiting until next year to upgrade it although I will admit I have gotten every model of the iPhone since the original in 2007.

5. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Upgrade if you need it. No need to waste your time, money, and effort. I've upgraded mine to 8GB of RAM and bought the extended warranty. I'm keeping this sucker until 2014 unless my needs change for something with more power. But I don't see that coming any time soon. I'm very happy with my laptop! I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I was using this or a new 2011 MBP 13" laptop since this once suits my needs great.

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

You like your women like you like your Macs...?

I can't think of a good way to finish that one.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Nope. Every other year for the iPhone and have two iMac's, still in use. A 2009 24" and a 2010 27". I suppose I'll replace them someday, but I cannot imagine it will be any time soon.

I don't have the spare cash to buy a new computer every cycle refresh. Even if I did, I doubt I would do that. Just the hassle of transferring all my data and stuff every year wouldn't be entertaining.

9. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Fresh from some factory in china.

10. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

That's a big no.

As a college soon to be graduate student cash isn't exactly in abundance. My iMac is an 8,1; still going strong.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't. Still using an iMac I purchased in 2007 and a MBP that was purchased in January 2008.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Definitely not. I upgrade my iPhone once for each product form factor. I had the original, 3GS, and 4. Will be waiting for a redesign before i buy a new one. I'm not sure if i'll ever buy another iPad, i use mine mainly for note taking at school, text books, and ebooks. None of those things will be any easier to do on a future iPad and i really have no other use for it than that, so looks like my 1st generation iPad will be sticking around for a few years unless there is some major update that gives it functionality that my iPhone and Mac don't have. As for my mac, i also wait for form factor revisions. My first mac was an 05' iBook G4, then in 2008 when the Aluminum MacBooks came out, i got one of those and i'm using it until the form factor is revised again. I upgraded the hard drive, ram, and put lion on it. Although this time i will probably buy an air. Just need to wait for memory capacities to go up and a processor thats not 4 years old. Not gonna upgrade from one C2D computer to another, it's not much of an upgrade.

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Nope. I only buy new when the old wears out or I have to due to software stuff. (which is, like, never). When I do upgrade my stuff, I never buy backwards when it comes to technology. I buy from the Refurb store, but having said that I never buy the previous models. It's not worth it, the way things change so fast.

My current machine was only a few months old when I got it, refurbished, and in many respects better than brand new and the same AppleCare coverage.

14. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I'd prefer to have fewer upgrades, and not live in my Mom's basement.

Plus I have an 8 core Mac Pro (from 2008), which is still plenty fast enough.

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

iPhones and iPads yes, because I can sell them iPhones for a profit, and only lose like $50 on iPads. I don't update my Macs until they're too slow to be practical.

16. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I was thinking shiny and made of aluminum, but that will work.

17. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

iPhone: Yes.
    iPad: Yes.
    iPod: No.
    Macs: Sometimes, but not usually.

18. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Nope. I've only bought 1 iPod (nano 1st gen) and my 3GS, both of which I still use and probably won't replace for another year at least. If I had the money I'd probably replace them more often, but I can see why it's a stupid thing to do if people only do it to have the latest gear.

19. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Only really with iPhones. It's killing me they came out with the 4S; I don't think it's worth getting over my 4(I don't want to waste my update, and think the 5 is much less than a year away), but at the same time I hate having last years phone. Yay first world problems FTMFW Before my 4 I had a BlackBerry Bold 9000 that I got the month it came out; aside from the new touchscreen/physical keyboard Bold that's around the 9000 form factor, it's still the best blackberry out, the formfactor and keyboard are amazing.

With iPods, I got a 1st gen Mini right when it came out in Jan '04, then didn't get another one until the end of '05 and got a 60GB Gen5. I did get a second 60GB when I did the iMod conversion, but that's just because I wanted to start with a new one, it was the same model. I did get a 1GB shuffle, but I don't even remember when that was, it was an impulse buy at BestBuy.

I got my first Mac in April 2010, the day the "mid-2010's" came out and got a 7,1 2.4GHz C2D. I've put in a Vertex3 SSD and 8GB of RAM. Nothing I do regularly is processor intensive, and when I was studying with my friend who has a 2011 15" with a HDD it was night and day how much faster mine was opening stuff and loading, so I'm very happy with my undervolted C2D. And it has no problem pushing full HD 1080p BluRay .mkv's(8GB-12GB+) to my 50" 1080p plasma (or any other of a number of HDTVs) through MDP>HDMI with audio. I still have AppleCare until 2013 so I'm keeping it at least until then, and will probably use it until something breaks once AppleCare is done then replace it with whatever the 13" pro flavor is at the time.

20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I replace my iPhone with every release, but I have a thing for phones so I think that's allowed in my case. ;)

Nothing else, though. The rest of my Apple stuff I replace when I feel I need to.

I know quite a few people on MR replace things like their MBP with every release, or at least every year, and I suppose that may be similar to my phone thing. If they can comfortably afford to then I suppose it's no big deal. But replacing everything with every iteration is taking it a bit far IMHO... especially when you consider just how incremental most updates to Apple products are!

21. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Nope! :) I'm still rockin' my mid-2007 MacBook. He's gettin' up there in age and has early-onset Alzheimer's, but I love him. :eek:

As for my iPhone? I'll probably upgrade every two years.

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

7,6 and 4 year old iPods
    5 year old MacBook Pro
    3 year old iMac
    18 month old iPhone.

So I guess that's a no. :D

I also have a 2 month old iPad. I won't be upgrading it when the iPad 3 comes out but I will be getting the new iPhone next summer.

23. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

My MBP is a little over a year old and I'll plan on using this thing until it dies. SSD is the only upgrade my MBP is missing. For iPhone/iPad, it'll probably be every two years I'll upgrade those. iPods? Well, they're pretty cheap for the most part (nanos) so depending on what snazzy new design comes out, I might update that every two years or so.

I could easily upgrade every year without damaging the bank account too bad but it's not really worth it in my opinion since real updates to devices only come every couple years or so.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, I don't. I keep iPods until they die, or need to be replaced (as happened a few times when the HDD died and the device was still under warranty).

In general, I keep laptops for 2-3 years and then buy a new one.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

About the only thing that I can afford to upgrade yearly is my iPhone. Computers can last for several years and since I am the only one who sees those computers, it will be several years to upgrade them.