Do you use a case / screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crisito, Jul 6, 2009.

1. crisito macrumors regular

Do you protect your iPhone with a case or screen protector or both, or nothing at all?

I don't use a case as it adds bulkiness to the phone, and i don't want a screen protector on the 3GS as it has an oleophobic screen - having a screen protector would make the special screen pointless.

What are you thoughts?

2. Doju macrumors 68000

No.

Apple designers worked their butts off to design a stunning, beautiful, slick phone. Am I going to cover that up with plastic flimsy bulkiness and plain out ugliness just to protect myself from my own clumsiness? No.

(I'm not clumsy. I won't ruin my phone because of my own non-existent flaws.)

3. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

4. rendez2k macrumors 6502

rendez2k

I'm currently using a marware rubber case on my 3GS which I love - its sticks to surfaces like dash boards and has saved my phone more than once! I bought a incase also which is like hard plastic but I don't like it as much (but it does pick up less rubbish from my pockets!)

I did have a screen protector on my 3G but have so far opted not to on my 3GS. I'm not sure if thats a good decision yet. I really hope it doesn't get scratched in time.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No screen protector for me but I do use a case, and I just purchased a case from vaja that has a flap on it. That's as close to a screen protector as I'll get.

6. Chipskip macrumors member

I am a little clumsy so I use both.

I use an incase slider case so I can remove just the bottom and dock on my iHome.

When I got the 3GS I didn't want to get a screen protector, but when I removed the Invisible Shield from my 3G it looked brand new. So I gave up the great feel of the new 3GS screen and put Invisible Shield on it.

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

no case for me. why hide the beauty for 2 years?

just be careful with it and the screen...dont put it in a bag with nails or pencils or thumbtacks etc...

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Got the 3g.
    Put it in a Incipio Feather with a Zagg Invisible shield screen protector.
    Bought incase frame case. Lost the receipt :mad: kept it for the 3Gs
    Returned the phone and accessories

Got the 3Gs.
    Put it in the Zagg Invisible Shield and Incase Frame Blue
    Put it in the Speck Toughskin
    Put it in the Incipio Feather
    SAID F*** THIS
    Went to naked with Zagg.
    Got scared when GF almost dropped phone a few times. :eek:
    Got the incase Slider.
    The Zagg started looking gross.
    Switched it out with the incipio's SP's.
    The slider bubbled them.
    :mad:
    Decided: Screw it, no SP.
    Touched the screen.
    No finger prints. :)
    Nice feeling :)
    Good choice. :)
    Returned the incipio and the zagg.
    So now its naked screen with very nice matte black slider with white iPhone. I couldn't be happier. I took the phone out of the case a few times with no scratching. Its such a wonderful case. :)

9. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Incipio Feather case - almost no additional bulk and better "grippiness." I don't use it to protect from scratches or dropping, just to help keep it from slipping out of my hands. It doesn't provide protection from dropping anyway. I'd prefer naked if it weren't so slippery.

I used the crystal screen protectors sold by Apple in the past and they are great. I am using the Incipio protectors that come with the Feather case, and they are equal to the crystal ones so far. You can't see that they are installed, and no screen scratches.

I tried the InvisibleShield screen protector on my first generation phone and could not get used to the tacky feel and drag while flicking. I sent it back for a refund, which they provide with no questions asked.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Power Support Black Air Jacket and anti-glare film.

[​IMG]

Least intrusive case I've come across - love it.

11. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

Screen protector and ruber case. I don't like the hard cases as I think they could damage the back of my black phone. I intend of selling my phone so it will be better if I keep it as clean as possible so i can get more when I sell it.:apple::D

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I did use a variety of cases - Incase Slider, Speck Candyshell...

I'm just using my Sena slim with an anti-glare screen protector. Much better than a hard or soft case.

13. N16K macrumors newbie

Nothing 99% of the time, if traveling I will put it in a Incase Slider.

14. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

White rebel serpent + switcheasy screen shield

I feel the phone is too small. I prefer the thickness of a case honestly. I also don't stare at my phone all day so who cares what it looks like.

15. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've found that the phone feels small, too, but the tapered edges of the 3G feel so nice.

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

I will be getting it today (YAY!), and I'm going to cover it up with a BestSkinsEver front and back. I don't want to cover up my iPhone this time around. In two weeks of so, I'll get the Griffin Reveal though. I just love how the back of the iPhone looks and want to show it off.

17. meagain macrumors 68030

I put case & screen protector.

But I have a Best Skins Ever on with a Power Support Crystal Shield for the front. I don't consider a skin a case?

18. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I have one of the More Eternity metallic cases on the back of my phone only, but its not really to protect it so much as it is to cover up the scratches all over the white back :p It is nice and thin, but I'm getting tired of that as well too and unfortunately it isnt anymore scratch resistant as the naked back, so I'm thinking of taking it off and just going back to being naked.

19. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

im naked right now, but usually just rock the screen protector - have used both BSE and Crystal Films

20. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I have also rocked this combo, but found the matte black scratched and peeled right off. I tend to always ditch the case anyway....

21. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

1. It is a phone, I have more expensive watches that I don't cover.
    2. I have camera equipment worth 20 times as much that I don't cover.
    3. Most cases prohibit certain functions. (Charging and synching in other devices for example.)
    4. It reminds me of my uncles house in 1968, plastic on all the furniture to preserve it, preserve it for what? ? ? he never took the plastic off, so it was always this ugly junk covering the design.

Use the phone, like your car, which is much more expensive, it is going to get scratched and dinged, but the life of a phone, with the way technology moves is about 14 months.

22. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

23. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

Good points. :)