Do you use a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Iphone5preorder, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Do you use a case?

1. Yes, always have and always will

84 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. No, commando for life

53 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No, but I will on my 5s,5c

11 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Other

11 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Surprised this poll doesn't exist yet. I'm curious on the numbers.

I, for one, have never used a case but I've cracked the screen of every iphone I've owned too...

How about you?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Of course! :eek:

If you care at all about your resale value then you will. The aluminum on the 5/5s is a soft material prone to easy scratches and scuffs.

3. Jay0911 macrumors newbie

I usually never wear a case but I want to try out that leather case by apple since the reviews are good. Most likely I'm going to end up going commando again though after some time.

4. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ever cracked a screen?

5. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Never. Cases are ridiculous. No one cares if your phone has a scuff mark or scratch. No one. Nor does it matter, ever.

"Oh, what about resale value." The money you theoretically gain from having a "flawless" iPhone just went out the window when you bought the case. Further, the extra $50 you get three years from now for having less marks -- unquestionably not worth lugging around some stupid case.

If the iPhone can't stand up to everyday wear and tear without a condom, I don't want it.

All cell phone cases look stupid. All. So do those ridiculous plastic "screen protectors," I've never seen a bigger waste of time or money, they don't protect a damn thing. I've never used any of it, and my phone works perfectly fine.

6. DaveTheGreat macrumors member

NEVER. Small pieces of dirt get stuck inside the case and end up scratching the iPhone anyway. I haven't used a case since my 3GS (4s and 5 after that & 5S now). I take great care of ALL my electronics and I don't worry about dropping them, because I'm not careless when using my iPhone. Also, one of the greatest things about the iPhone is the beautiful design and I feel like a case defeats the purpose of that. Super thin, super light, why mess that up with a case? Screen protectors are a different story.

7. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

No cracked screens, and the 5s will be my 6th iPhone. I use ZAGG shields front and back, so no scratches either. My iPad 4 on the other hand has a cracked screen. I'm taking it to Apple on Wed for OOW replacement. :(

8. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

This is why I buy cases that are free of spermicide.

9. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

Yes, took the case off my 4s the other day and they gave me $200 toward my 5s.

10. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

My 5 has only very minor scratches on the chamfered edges. I don't anticipate they will impact resale value at all. I decided long ago that if I was buying the phone for its form as well as its function then it was silly to cover its form up with a bulky, ugly case. This is the first year though that I'm not selling my existing phone so I won't be able to test my theory regarding the scratches. I'm giving my 5 to my husband.

11. wxman2003 Suspended

No. I only keep them for about a year and have insurance. So if the glass shatters, I'm good to go.

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

14. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Loving all the no case folks! Some people on this forum think nobody goes without a case. At my office , only like 1 out of 7 ish people has a case.

It's the only way to fully enjoy the phone in my opinion :). But also , I don't care about resale value because I keep my iPhones as backup / travel phones .

----------

Do you order those online? I would love something that doesn't take away from the phones feel but protects it from scratches. Thanks in advance.

15. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

I normally don't have a case, but when I do, I prefer ElementCase. Sector 5 to be exact.

Sector 5 doesn't make my phone look like a astronaut.

16. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

You can buy them online, but I have mine installed at the ZAGG kiosk in the mall near me.

17. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I bought the black apple iPhone 5S case and I freaking love it. Hands down the best iPhone case I've ever owned. It's super slim and sleek, great leather texture feel to the exterior of it, ever so slightly raised edges to protect screen, super soft suede interior to keep phone scratch free and absolutely no space for dirt to slip between phone and case.

Worth every penny.

18. Dr Manhattan macrumors newbie

Dr Manhattan

I prefer using my black iPhone 5 without a case but I just can't get over the fact that the anodized painted aluminum could wear off.. But yes I just have it in a griffin reveal and it still looks beautiful :)

19. ClassObject macrumors 6502

ClassObject

I use a speck smartflex card case. No more wallet. I am not awesome enough to go without a case.

20. Dr Manhattan macrumors newbie

Dr Manhattan

21. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Well... Full disclosure forces me to admit I did buy one of the new cases to put on my existing 5 before I hand it over to my husband. It would be nice if it retained SOME resale value by the time I sell it next year. I don't trust my husband to keep a naked phone in good condition. Haha.

22. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Never.

Never cracked a screen or broke a phone, and I've had every model the day they were released. I have a better option than a case: I don't drop my phone.

I destroyed my 3GS about 3 weeks before the 4 came out, but a case wouldn't have helped. I accidentally left it in a pile of laundry before it went into the washing machine. Turns out, agitated hot water and detergent are rather toxic to a cell phone. Oops.

23. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I got screen protector on the 4S, back and front. The hard plastic type, which works well with the 4S since it's glass on both sides. For the 5S I'm going commando, I like the feel of the aluminum. I'm pretty careful with my device, but have dropped them a few times.

I can't cover up something like an apple product, they're too sexy.

24. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Glad that works for you. Dropping the phone isn't an option for me. I drop mine all the time. In fact I dropped this one for the seventh time or so ( the. 5 ) the other day on the end of a weight and shattered the screen again. This screen is shattered in three different places. It looks like someone SHOT the phone !

Oh well , still works.