Do you use an iMac or Macbook Pro as your main machine?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mtthwcmn1, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I was just curious because i'm debating whether or not to get an iMac or Macbook Pro. I use the computer for internet, word processing, and some Mac app store games, also itunes and some garageband just for fun and photobooth.

2. simsaladimbamba

Currently I use my 17" MBP as my main machine, but I guess I will switch to my even slower iMac soon again, even though I will keep the MBP.
    I use my MBP for video editing and compositing and photo retouches or DVD creation, though I also use it to browse the www and entertainment consumption.

3. Juan A macrumors newbie

I have a 15" Mid 2009 MacBook Pro that is my main computer. I really love it. i like the portability when needed, although I also have an Ipad2 for ultimate portability. I use my MBP for everything you mentioned plus quite a bit of photo editing as well.

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I think the main factor in your decision is how much are you going to need the portability of a laptop vs. a desktop. The only other real factor is screen size depending upon your needs. If you are going to be computing on the go a lot and don't need the large screen of a desktop then a 15" or 17" MBP is the way to go. If you do all your computing at home and a larger screen is more desirable then the iMac is the way to go. Buy a computer based on your needs and you will save money and frustration.

5. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

I use a MBP 13" as my main machine. I'm at High School so I don't really do so many intensive stuff apart from games.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I dropped the use of tower computers along time ago and will only use laptops now (mainly for portability). My 15" MBP + my 2TB backup drive serve as my "desktop" computer now.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I finally upgraded my 17" MBP 2007 Santa Rosa for a 13" MBA, the i7 1.8 256
    It is my main machine hooked to a 23" ACD

I couldn't pass on the speed and portability

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

17" MBP. I've had two in the past five or six years - and only upgraded after the battery slowly exploded in the old one; otherwise it still ran like a top.

I need a machine that is portable for giving presentations while also having enough real estate to work in.

...best of both worlds.

:)

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I use the iMac in the summer so I don't have a hot laptop on my lap, and the MBP in the winter because the heat is appreciated then :p

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

MacBook. I know it's not a MBP but the ideal thing for me is portability.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The 13" MBP is lighter and thinner than the MB though :confused:

12. samiwas macrumors 65816

My 17" MBP is my main, and currently only, machine. I keep it hooked up to a 23" Cinema Display when I'm at home, so I still have the massive screen real estate. But when I travel, or work away from home (or even away from my desk downstairs), then I can just unplug the monitor and go. I like the mix of both.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

24" iMac.

I'm on the damn thing enough anyway, so lack of portability isn't a concern.

Also I refuse to pay for yet another "plan".

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

My name is vitzr and I'm addicted to Macs :)

In the office my fav is my new Mac Pro

Outside of the office it depends on what I feel like taking.

17" MBP?
    15" MBP?
    13" MBA?
    11" MBA?

They are all simply outstanding.

See, I confessed up front :)

I may be very outspoken about my views on Apple's business practices, yet at the end of the day I'm a hard core Mac Enthusiast.

I spend an obscene amount annually on new Macs, but hey, there's far worse vices. :)

15. steveburns macrumors newbie

I use macbook pro as my main machine and I have been happy as a clam ever since I switched to it....

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm currently using a 15" MBP as my main machine. If you travel a lot, the answer becomes obvious. :) When my ancient G5 tower dies, I'll have to debate a MacPro or iMac...

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My iMac is my main machine. I have a MacBook, but it is, and has always been, a "second" computer for me.

18. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

19. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

My 13" MacBook Pro serves me well. Runs even better after upgrading to 8GB of RAM. Now only if I could afford an SSD...

20. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Well I have a HAckintosh in my office ....got sick of windows seven crashing. But my main machine is my 13" 2009 MBP ....I love it and hope I never have to do without it.

Wife lives on her 2011 MBA 13" and her Mac pro lives upstairs and hasn't been turned on in 3 months...LOL

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I sold my last Apple laptop last year and I've had no need to go back.

27" iMac is perfect for my needs, and a 4th gen iPod touch for portable stuff. The size and power of the iMac swayed me, they're just a joy to work on.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

If a MBP does everything you need, I'd suggest a MBP and a bigger monitor for the desk at home. That way you basically have the best of both worlds.

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I have one from 2007. Can't afford the new ones yet. My point was although it isn't as powerful as a Macbook Pro or an iMac my main concern is the portability of a laptop as opposed to a desktop.

Sorry for confusion.

24. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I use an iMac as my main machine because I don't need the portability of a Macbook Pro, and because Macbook Pros are evil. On my first (and only) Macbook Pro I would repeatedly cut myself on some really sharp part (I think on the indent that you use to open up the laptop when it's closed). Got sick of doing that and sold it.

25. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I roll with the 17" MBP and 3GS lineup. I always fear I'm going to knock an iMac over and break it...