Do you use Apple Pay on your watch or your iphone ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Laserducky, Apr 28, 2016.

?

1. Apple Watch

69.3%
  2. iPhone

47.6%
  3. Other

4.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

2. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

4. swarlos macrumors 6502

swarlos

Mainly Watch but if I'm on my phone already at checkout then I'll use that.

5. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

The phone always seems faster for me, and I don't have to double press any buttons like I do on the Apple Watch when near a terminal.

Talk about reading is fundamental, when I first received my Apple Watch I thought it was seamless like with the iPhone, so there I was in BJs on two separate occasions holding my wrist all types of ways and wondering why it wasn't working, until I googled it...DOH!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Neither, I don't use apple pay, seems easier for my to whip out my credit (or atm) card.

7. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

I thought you had to double-click the home button on the iPhone?

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

AW, because my 5S doesn't support Pay.

9. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I use my Apple Watch 99% of the time. The 1% is Starbucks. I use my Starbucks rewards which is not available on the watch quick functions. (aka I'm never t opening the Starbucks app on my watch).

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

How is that quicker than double pressing the contacts button on the watch that you are already wearing? Doesn't make much sense to me unless you have other concerns eg. Security

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not had that much luck trying to get it working, and I'd rather not keep trying to wave my phone or watch trying to get the machine to accept the payment. I've also been at places where the machine seems to indicate that it accepts apple pay but the retailer never enabled it, so it doesn't work. Plus with it not being generally accepted everywhere I go, means I have to stop from my normal habits and try to observe or ask if its accepted. Sometimes its just easier to whip out the credit card.

12. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I use Apple Pay on my watch every chance I get. Since the AW, I have never used Apple Pay on my phone. It is awesome.

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

If I'm not wearing heavy clothes like a jacket I will use my watch cause it's easier to get to. But if I have my coat and stuff on I use my iPhone. For the first time ever, I used the boarding pass on my iPhone for a flight. Anyhow generally on my iPhone but when warm out then the watch.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If you add your favorite Starbucks to the app, then when you get to the store, you can just swipe down on your watch and your Starbucks card will show up.

I have used my phone once for Apple Pay. It's just much easier to leave it in my purse and use my watch, which is always out.

15. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

I almost always use my Watch for Apple Pay. It's just more convenient than pulling out my phone.

16. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

the iPhone automatically wakes up when near a payment terminal

17. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

18. melman101 macrumors 68030

To each their own, but you do realize Apple Pay is more secure than swiping your card at the terminal?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203027

"After you use Touch ID or enter your passcode on iPhone, or double-click the side button on Apple Watch at a payment terminal, the Secure Element provides your Device Account Number and a transaction-specific dynamic security code. This information is sent along with additional information needed to complete the transaction to the store’s point of sale terminal. Neither Apple nor your device sends your credit or debit card number. Before they approve the payment, your bank or payment network can verify your payment information by checking the dynamic security code to make sure it’s unique and that it’s tied to your device."

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Both. The primary place I use it is at my grocery store, and their shopper's club card doesn't work yet on the watch (have to scan it from Wallet on the phone). Have used the watch in some other locations though.

20. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

I never knew that, I've always been double-clicking the home button! Thanks!

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

:apple:Pay and Google Wallet are the safest methods of payment available. Here is great explanation of :apple:Pay that will show you that your insecurities are unfounded.

http://www.kirklennon.com/a/applepay.html

22. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Watch, though I may give the phone a try soon. Sometimes I foul up the double-press of the side button and it ends up going to the friends circle and back to the watch face. It seems like once that happens the watch gets hopelessly confused and I can press the button as quick or as slow as I want and it will never sort itself out.

Wonder if anyone has run into this other issue I saw the other day. On the watch I went to the card, but it said it was temporarily unavailable. This is a card I've had on my watch since I first got it last summer.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That makes no sense at all. It's more secure than using physical cards. Are you cash only or something (and even that's not exactly secure either in the sense that you can get robbed of it)?

24. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Starbucks isn't available from the double click but my rewards card is in the Wallet app. It's not as convenient as it would be if it were available to choose from double clicking the button but it is easy enough if I'm in the drive thru. Granted now with mobile order I usually order that way so of course I have to use my phone to do that, but if I'm at a drive thru it's the watch all the way.

25. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

WATCH! I hate using it with my phone cuz I hate digging my phone out of my purse. might as well just get the card out if I have to dig my phone out anyways. (well... before those stupid SLOW chips)

I've never used my ipad... why would I when I have my watch is is 10000000000 times more convenient!