Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Apple Pay on your watch or your iphone ?

• Total voters

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I usually use Apple Watch to pay, but use iPhone when I want to see the transaction details. Apple watch is much easier and faster to use than iPhone or that plastic thing we had to use in the past....

Laserducky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Great to hear what you guys think of these 2 options. Yes, I meant Other to include 'Both' as well. I specifically didn't mention iPad because I believe most people will whip out their phone or use the Watch to pay.

Whipping out an iPad seems a tad tiresome, given its much larger physical footprint relative to the other 2 devices,

Cheers !

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Whipping out an iPad seems a tad tiresome, given its much larger physical footprint relative to the other 2 devices,

Cheers !
I think the iPad option is meant for paying on web sites.

Having said that, I used it on my iPad for the first time last week for a +$1K web purchase. My bank had an instant conniption and went into "hair-on-fire" panic mode! They denied the charge whilst bombarding my iPhone, watch and email with "unusual spending behavior" alerts.

Geez! It took me hours to get it all sorted out by phone. :)

I guess it was well-intentioned. Hopefully next time it'll be slicker?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Great to hear what you guys think of these 2 options. Yes, I meant Other to include 'Both' as well. I specifically didn't mention iPad because I believe most people will whip out their phone or use the Watch to pay.

Cheers !

You can't use iPad for in-store purchases anyway (no NFC). iPad only supports online purchases so you won't see anyone whipping it out.

Reactions: melman101

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I usually use Apple Watch to pay, but use iPhone when I want to see the transaction details. Apple watch is much easier and faster to use than iPhone or that plastic thing we had to use in the past....

This one drawback of using Apple Pay on the Apple Watch, no transaction details. I suppose it may be added in the next watch OS...

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
To each their own, but you do realize Apple Pay is more secure than swiping your card at the terminal?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203027

"After you use Touch ID or enter your passcode on iPhone, or double-click the side button on Apple Watch at a payment terminal, the Secure Element provides your Device Account Number and a transaction-specific dynamic security code. This information is sent along with additional information needed to complete the transaction to the store’s point of sale terminal. Neither Apple nor your device sends your credit or debit card number. Before they approve the payment, your bank or payment network can verify your payment information by checking the dynamic security code to make sure it’s unique and that it’s tied to your device."
I work in banking compliance, and I'm a firm believer that ApplePay is more secure than cards, even EMV (chip) cards. I believe this is especially true after the transaction, as the merchant doesn't have any of your info to lose or be stolen.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use it on both, so I didn't vote in the poll.

I will say though that at some stores I'll use the phone because I have no idea where exactly the NFC sensor on the machine is, so I need to wave the phone around until I get an indication that I'm in the right spot. One would think there'd be some kind of indicator of where to place one's phone/watch/card/whatever but often there is not.

But in places where I know where the sensor is (either from experience or because it's labeled), I'll use the watch.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
If you add your favorite Starbucks to the app, then when you get to the store, you can just swipe down on your watch and your Starbucks card will show up.

Or just have your starbucks card in Apple Wallet.

Apple Pay makes much more sense to me with the watch. works great. I wish everyone accepted it... and I wished they would do it right. Many still require signature .. not necessary.

Reactions: ladytonya

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Or just have your starbucks card in Apple Wallet.

But this method won't bring it up automatically when you're at your favorite Starbucks stores. The best way to do it is configure the Starbucks cards added to Apple Wallet to show on lock screen (based on time or location) and set your favorite Starbucks store(s). It'll pop up automatically on your AW when you're at your favorite store(s) and clicking on it goes right to Apple Wallet.

Starbucks app > Stores. Tap on a store and you'll see a star for adding as Favorite ("Favorite this store, and your Starbucks Card will appear on your lock screen when you arrive."). You can turn off location services in the Starbucks app after doing this because showing on lock screen based on location is determined by Apple Wallet (rather than the Starbucks app).

Reactions: AlliFlowers

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
But this method won't bring it up automatically when you're at your favorite Starbucks stores. The best way to do it is configure the Starbucks cards added to Apple Wallet to show on lock screen (based on time or location) and set your favorite Starbucks store(s). It'll pop up automatically on your AW when you're at your favorite store(s) and clicking on it goes right to Apple Wallet.

Starbucks app > Stores. Tap on a store and you'll see a star for adding as Favorite ("Favorite this store, and your Starbucks Card will appear on your lock screen when you arrive."). You can turn off location services in the Starbucks app after doing this because showing on lock screen based on location is determined by Apple Wallet (rather than the Starbucks app).

I agree that's really useful for your primary location.. thanks for laying that out.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
One store I use one of the three terminals can't seem to manage the watch though my phone works fine on it.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Our grocery store started accepting Apple Pay a few months before I got my watch. I used Apple Pay on my iPhone maybe one time during those few months. It just didn't seem any easier to get my iPhone out than it was to get my card out and swipe it.

Once I got the watch I started to use Apple Pay for every trip to the grocery store because it was the most convenient way to pay. I go to the grocery store several times a week. Between the grocery shopping app on my watch (Bring) and Apple Pay, I can get in and out of the store without pulling out my iPhone or my wallet!

Sean

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I much prefer it on my watch as on the phone it seems to unlock way to fast with the new touch ID on the 6S+ and it bypasses Apple Pay too inconsistently. On the watch it is 100% every single time and so much easier.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Apple Pay on the watch is so fast when a store's POS is setup properly. I was in line at Whole Foods behind a customer paying with cash and the speed difference was very obvious. It took about a minute for her to count the bills, hand over the bills, count the coins, and hand over the coins. Versus me taking 10 seconds to tap watch and press the credit button.
I didn't mind waiting because I wasn't in a hurry but I can see how it saves real time especially if you multiply those 30-45 seconds across several checkout lanes all-day. The much prefer the convenience of just not having to take out my wallet since my watch is on my wrist or my phone is usually in my hand anyway.

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
i choosed other because i use samsungPAY i find it works at many more places that my iph6 didn't. as a matter of fact i can't think of 1 place that it didn't work on my note5. but i can think of over 20 places that my iphone has failed me.

Reactions: melman101

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I chose both. I use the watch if I'm wearing it, otherwise phone. What would be the other?
[doublepost=1462314970][/doublepost]
Please expound upon that, what exactly is insecure with apple pay?

In my experience of card payments in the us, I'd sooner use Apple Pay than the system where you hand over the card to a waitress and then sign a receipt.

After a two week trip to Philadelphia, When I returned I noticed my card was being used to buy computer games in California and book a hotel in Mexico. The card company were great but surely in this day and age this shouldn't happen.

Buran

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Watch if I can, phone if not, and if the store's terminals support EMV (and I'll preferentially shop at stores that do for the kind of item I'm buying) I'll use my card. My city has a Target (supports EMV) and a Home Depot (EMV) for card purchases and for groceries I'll go to Dierbergs (NFC) and electronics I get from Micro Center (NFC). The local Apple Store supports purchasing through self-checkout and Apple ID/Pay, and I believe they also support NFC but I haven't tried it as I like to just grab my item, scan, pay on my phone, and leave.

I don't like swiping magstripes because they're totally unencrypted, so I avoid it where possible. For me Apple Pay and similar systems (Google Wallet, etc) are about security; I've had my card number stolen multiple times in the past and not only is it a hassle to clear up but it's a form of identity theft. I am not okay with my personal details being out there.

For Internet purchases I use one-time cards, which my bank deals with decently well. They can even handle premium ship purchases from World of Warships, which is outside the US and also uses a third-party processor for its sales. I didn't even trip a fraud alert with any of my ship buys (most recently on Monday), likely because I'd used a generated number which can only be done by someone with all the account credentials, including (in my case) 2FA. It's a shame that we can't yet use Apple Pay with Safari but I understand that's in the works. Hope it works with Warships.

Good to see that real transaction security is finally coming to the US to a point where I rarely need to use magstripe swiping anymore. And as for the accusation that EMV transactions are slow -- that's being worked on and should be much faster soon.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Neither, I don't use apple pay, seems easier for my to whip out my credit (or atm) card.

The most important advantage of Apple Pay is not the speed/convenience, it's the security. No one can get your bank info through a hacked retailer terminal if you use Apple Pay. That's the main reason I use it whenever it's available. The only issue that gets in the way is when I need cash back - only a few retailers support that through Apple Pay.

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
If my transactions were listed on the phone somewhere for those payments made using my Apple Watch then I'd use my Apple Watch all the time, but since it doesn't I use my phone for the most past (I like to keep track of things) and use my watch for littler transactions.

Reactions: Arran
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.