Do you use bookmarks in your web browser?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrsir2009, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Do you use bookmarks in your web browser?

I certainly don't. I find it easier in Chrome to use the predictive URL feature. So I type 'm' and hit enter to bring up MacRumors, and 's' and hit enter to bring up stuff.co.nz. Much easier and better that bookmarks IMO.

How about you guys?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, I use the Bookmarks toolbar in Safari for my most visited sites.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Yes, and they are kept in sync by Chrome across all my computers :)

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Same and i have xmarks as well, better be safe than sorry :D

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I have lots of bookmarks but I have a tendency to forget that I've made them, I always bookmark interesting and exciting things that I want to come back to soon, and forget about them for months. I do use the bookmarks bar pretty heavily, with links to the sites I go to most often.

6. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I only bookmark specific things that wouldn't be available to me instantly by typing it into the URL bar. Such as a laptop I'm looking on at TigerDirect, I bookmark the webpage so I have instant access.

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I use my bookmark bar all the time. I have 25 bookmarks, use 10-15 regularly.

Just curious, why wouldn't you use bookmarks? Why bother typing in URL (I know you only need a couple of letters and History does the rest) if you can just click on a bookmark.

In short, is there some reason NOT to use bookmarks? :confused:

8. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

You have to open the favorites bar (in IE and Mozilla, not sure about the rest), and then find the bookmark. Most people would just find it simpler to just type the first few letters of the URL.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes I use bookmarks in my browser, in combination with a firefox bookmark synch addon, a convenient method of keeping track of urls.

10. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

In a lot of cases you only need to type the first letter then hit enter. And when you open a new tab the address bar is selected by default, so instead of moving your mouse to the top of the screen and finding the MacRumors bookmark, you could simply hit 'm' for MacRumors and hit enter. Another reason for not using them is that they take up space on the browser bar, meaning less space for your webpages.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks for responding to my question. You make good points.:)

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a handful of bookmarks, grouped into categories. For example, I'll do "open in tabs" on the News category to see all my news sites at once.

Some of the people at work have hundreds of bookmarks but I can't imagine using that many; I'd probably spend longer looking for the bookmark than I would to just do a search for the site.

13. mljones99 macrumors regular

i don't use them anymore. its just quicker to type especially in Chrome.

14. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I do the "open in tabs" thing as well. The bookmarks bar is set up for different categories prepared for that. I have more bookmarks than that but I don't access them via the GUI in general. It is more enjoying the prediction improvement they give the address field.

15. juanm, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I have many bookmarks (I'd say hundreds of them). Luckily, I have a good memory, so I don't need to organize them (maybe 10% are organized in about 15 folders). The rest of them are all together in one large messy pool of bookmarks. I just start typing the website I found them on, and the full adress appears, or I browse through them.

Also, for convenience, I always keep my most used bookmarks bar under the url field, organized like this:
    W MR FB LM EP NYT PFF YT G GM GT FM RG

where MR stands for MacRumors, W is Wikipedia, FB is Facebook, GM is Google Maps, GT is Google Translator, YT is Youtube, and so on. This way everything fits and is just one click away... fast and convenient (I loved EyeOn's Digital Fusion's way to label buttons and apply it when I can)

Also, I hate when they decide, everytime they release a new version of a browser, to change the layout "just because". Like placing the tabs at the top, or hiding the application menu unless you press Alt...

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have so many places I visit I need bookmarks.

18. Jmouse macrumors 6502

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Kinda.

Chrome has this thing where it shows most visited sites each time you open a new tab, so I pretty much use that to get to where I want. I guess that's not really "bookmarks" though.

I do save links in the bookmarks to see later (like research for an upcoming assignment).

20. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I have less than 10 bookmarks in chrome and I use delicious as a "read later"; it has less than 10 links as well.

Delicious is good so as setting where I want to read something. Sometimes I'm on the mac and want to read it on the iPad, or the other way around.

21. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

My bookmarks are organized the same way I have do so for the past decade or so, in the following categories/folders:
    Artwork (this includes good wallpaper sites)
    Blogs
    Board and Card Games
    Doctor Who
    Entertainment
    Fanfiction
    Humor
    Mac
    News
    Nostalgia and Classic Toys
    Science and Reason
    SciFi, Fantasy and Horror
    Star Trek
    Tools and Reference
    Travel
    Underground ;)

Y'know, just typing that made me realize.... I am one sick ticket. :eek:

22. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

23. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I use Bookmarks for most of my favourite sites (and I love the bookmark/history search feature of the address bar in Safari); I tend to only bookmark things that I really need or like, and drag a webloc file to a folder if I want to save it but don't want it cluttering up my browser.

I use Xmarks to sync, but that doesn't work with Atomic Web on my iPhone, which is a damn shame.

24. samiwas macrumors 65816

How is clicking in the address bar, typing G, hitting enter, and selecting "Google" faster than just clicking Google in the bookmarks bar? :confused:

25. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Because you don't have to click in the address bar - everything can be done straight from the keyboard.

That said, I use a bookmark bar/menu myself.