Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What English do you use?

• Total voters

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
American with a sprinkle of Canadian, Michiginian (seriously separate form of English), English (to confuse people), with Spanish, French, Japanese, Russian, German, and Hawai'ian thrown in to confuse.

TEG

kabunaru

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
"Have more than thou showest,
Speak less than thou knowest,
Lend less than thou owest,
Ride more than thou goest,
Learn more than thou trowest,
Set less than thou throwest;
Leave thy drink and thy whore,
And keep in-a-door,
And thou shall have more
Than two tens to a score."

Early Modern English or Shakespearean English sounds more romantic and poetic to me than Modern English (either British or American).

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
Since we're talking about accents, I thought I might as well share this:

I speak English with an English accent of course and I've been living in Taiwan (Chinese speaking as I'm sure you all know) and the one thing about this country is that 80% of all English teachers here are north American, and not only so people speak American English here they talk like Americans too... Talking to anyone here I often hear 'oh I love your 'British' accent'.. and then having to explain why there's no such thing!

But the worst part of this is, Chinese speaking ears are highly tuned to the 'tones' of Chinese speech meaning if you say something only very slightly wrong in Chinese, your speech becomes indecipherable.

So going into Starbucks shortly after I got here (I can speak the lingo now but before....) and asking for my chosen coffee blend.. the waitress asks 'hot or iced'. I of course reply in an English accent 'hot'. She looks confused and says 'haaht'? Yeah, 'hot' I replied. 'whaat haaht?'. Still confused up until I decided to give up and just reply 'haaht' just so I could get things moving!

Another one just yesterday, I was speaking to a very American speaking Taiwanese and telling her that I 'can't come' to this thing she wanted me to do [as in 'caahnt' in English accent] and again, she didnt understand what I said, I had to reply [EngAcc: 'CAAHNT.. CAN NOT... CAAHNT COME'] she eventually replied 'oh you KEANT, CAN NAAHT come, oh, ok' and she actually put me on hold to take the mick.... unbelievable!

I have plenty more.....

és:

macrumors 6502a
I don't think there is, unless maybe the transatlantic accent counts?

I think every country (English speaking) has a generic accent. Like Aussie, or American or English.

I mean a perceived English accent isn't Scouse, Cockney or Geordie. The smae with American, it's not Bostonian or New Yorker (sorry, I don't know or am unaware of what you'd call this accents in slang).

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Nice to see we're spreading American English around. If I go overseas I waaahnt people to be able to understaaand me. :D

Wait, why is this a good thing? In this day and age, it shouldn't really make much difference...but why, besides our perceived superiority to everyone in the world, is it a better thing for us to spread an incorrect malformation of the English language to somewhere in the world as compared to any other form of it?

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
There is nothing incorrect about American English - or do you think we should all speak like the Queen? Now you're beginning to sound like the French with their Academy trying to tell them how to speak their own language...:rolleyes:

When I say "Incorrect malformation," I was making the point that English English is the closest to original English, and is where the language is originated from (thus "English"), and Americans changed the language a lot for whatever reason. My only question was why it is such a great thing to be spreading American English as compared to other forms of English, when American English is technically less correct, historically. As much as it sounds like it, I do not want to make it sound like I think everyone should spell/speak English English, I was just curious about the American English thing being so great.

I'm American, by the way. Born and raised.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well, by that reasoning we should be spreading Old English - after all, it was the original version of the language upon which everything else is based...

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
When I say "Incorrect malformation," I was making the point that English English is the closest to original English, and is where the language is originated from (thus "English"), and Americans changed the language a lot for whatever reason. My only question was why it is such a great thing to be spreading American English as compared to other forms of English, when American English is technically less correct, historically. As much as it sounds like it, I do not want to make it sound like I think everyone should spell/speak English English, I was just curious about the American English thing being so great.

I'm American, by the way. Born and raised.

Historically, aside from spelling, which was invented to make teaching easier the US, American is actually closer sounding to historic English than English. This is due to major vowel shifts in England due to influence from Europe and several lower dialects becoming standards (like scouse).

TEG

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
Well, by that reasoning we should be spreading Old English - after all, it was the original version of the language upon which everything else is based...

Once again: I wasn't saying we should be spreading any other form of English. I was asking why it's a better thing to spread American English than other forms?

Edit: I do think it's a good thing, by the way, for kids to learn a lot about Old English. That's why kids still study works by Shakespeare and many greats of the older ages.

Historically, aside from spelling, which was invented to make teaching easier the US, American is actually closer sounding to historic English than English. This is due to major vowel shifts in England due to influence from Europe and several lower dialects becoming standards (like scouse).

TEG

Fair enough. I don't know that much about language, so you could very well be right. I'm an American who uses British spelling, but I don't care if anyone uses American English - it's not like it's a life-threatening decision for me. I was just a bit weirded out by the statement (which I very well could be misinterpreting, and if I am completely missing, I apologise) that it's a good thing we're spreading American English (as opposed to any form of English/other forms). :)

TEG said:
Michiginian

I lolled when I read this :D I'm from Michigan, and English people like to make fun of my "accent" :(

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
When I say "Incorrect malformation,"...

The beauty of the English language is that it changes, adopts and adds new words. We really don't want to go back to Old English of Anglo-Saxon times; 'The Canterbury Tales' was difficult enough to read, never mind 'Beowulf'!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.