Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which don you use?

• Predominantly iBooks

Votes: 110 35.5%
  • Predominantly Kindle

Votes: 146 47.1%
  • Both equally

Votes: 38 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 16 5.2%

• Total voters

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Kindle. I can read on all kinds of platforms, the selection and prices are better, and the reading experience is less cluttered with graphical candy. Besides, there's no iBooks e-ink device for reading outdoors.

jonnymo5

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
Kindle. If I'm going to be locked into a store then I want the one with the most books and the most device options. But I use iBooks for PDFs and open format books.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
I use both depending on which store is selling the book I want the cheapest, but prefer the iBooks UI infinitely moreover Kindle.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
This would be the ideal situation for me. Is it legal and easy to do?

I'm not sure about legal. It would seem analogous to making a backup copy of your DVD, but as far as I know, it hasn't been tested in court yet whether removing DRM for personal use is "legal" or not.

Easy? It takes a bit of work to set up the de-DRM program. Once it's set up, removing the DRM is a few clicks. Converting to ePub is easy through Calibre. Still, it's a lot more work than just downloading a book and start reading. I do it because I like the font in iBooks, and I like being able to copy and paste passages from the books (can't copy from a DRMed book).

For more info, see the stickied threads here:
http://stream-recorder.com/forum/removing-drm-protection-ebooks-f63.html?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I like iBooks for reading better because of a few things:

1. Overall look and feel
2. I like the fonts better
3. I like its two page landscape view better
4. Can open epub files
5. The # of pages left in chapter display. Good for when you only have a short time to read and want to know if you'll be able to finish a chapter before your time is up.

I use iBooks basically just for epub files or PDF's.

When I buy books I buy from Amazon as they have a bigger selection with cheaper books and I also have a Kindle 3 so my iPad and Kindle will be in sync when using the Kindle app.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Stripping the DRM is a bit of a legal minefield. You're very likely agreeing to a contract when you buy an ebook, stating that you won't do such things. It may be illegal in law, depending on where you live (here in the UK it was illegal to rip a CD to put it on your ipod, and possibly still is).

I'd guess it quite likely is illegal, in some way. But would anyone ever prosecute you for it, if you've legally purchased the book? Very unlikely, for the same reason nobody here was sued for ripping their own CDs - the likely outcome would be a big change in the law making such things legal, which the publishers wouldn't like ;)

Here's another dilemma though: suppose there's a "not entirely legal" website, where you can download such things with the DRM already removed? (I've no idea if there is or not for books btw!) You buy the book, and want a DRM-free copy. Stripping the DRM yourself is probably illegal. Downloading a pirate copy is also illegal, but saves you quite a bit of messing about. Either way, you bought the book, the publisher, book store and author got their money.

Is downloading the pirate copy any different from stripping the DRM? (Personally, I'd say yes - because you'd be supporting the dodgy website, which is likely making money for whoever runs it via advertising, and the people running these sites are usually not the people you'd be happy to financially support ;))

What's really troubling about all this is that the publishers seem to be repeating the mistakes the music industry made with MP3. Things would be so much easier if they made the stores DRM free and reasonably priced, and just went after the pirate websites. But once again, they see the opportunity to make lots of money, and will end up with a huge problem in a few years.

Barbariska

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
I used to read NOOK before getting an IPAD, so now I am reading NOOK and IBOOKS. NOOK to continue reading what was left of my collection and IBOOKS for new books and also for Russian books.

KnitGirl

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I prefer Kindle because of what others have mentioned about the cross-platform abilities but I also prefer it because I think the Kindle itself it just a better reading device. I love reading outside and the Kindle's e-ink technology makes it the only device that I've seen that allows that. When I first saw what a Kindle looked like out in the bright sunshine I was SOLD. And when reading inside the e-ink makes for less strain on the eyes.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I'm not sure about legal. It would seem analogous to making a backup copy of your DVD, but as far as I know, it hasn't been tested in court yet whether removing DRM for personal use is "legal" or not.

Easy? It takes a bit of work to set up the de-DRM program. Once it's set up, removing the DRM is a few clicks. Converting to ePub is easy through Calibre. Still, it's a lot more work than just downloading a book and start reading. I do it because I like the font in iBooks, and I like being able to copy and paste passages from the books (can't copy from a DRMed book).

For more info, see the stickied threads here:
http://stream-recorder.com/forum/removing-drm-protection-ebooks-f63.html?

I'm going to give this a shot when I get home, I personally dont think its any different than ripping your CD's into iTunes. same concept in my opinion, instead of playing it on a CD player I want to play it on my computer or iPod.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Kindle. But I don't use the app much as I still have my Kindle 3 and prefer reading e-books on it to the iPad. It's much smaller and lighter, the e-ink screen is much easier on my eyes, and I can take it on vacation and read a lot and not even need to bring the charger.

iPad reading is limited to newspapers, magazines, comics, pdfs of scholarly journal articles and other things that need a bigger screen, color, fast scrolling and zooming etc.

But for those without a Kindle, I'd still recommend using the Kindle app as well as other apps. The Kindle store has the best selection and tends to have the best prices. But tends is the key word, so it's worth having multiple apps and checking prices in the Kindle store, iBooks, Kobo, B&N etc. and buying where ever it's cheapest.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I only got my Kindle about a month ago so it may not be fair to compare yet but I use both equally in different settings. I use my Kindle mostly for casual reading at home and light travel. I use my iBooks at work and travel where I need more versatility and where a backlight comes in handy.

For reading enjoyment only I like my Kindle better. For reference materials and similar I like iBooks better. I also like the wireless sync in iBooks better. But the print quality of eInk is something I respond to more. And it's much lighter and easier to hold.

If only the Kindle weren't so fragile... It won't survive a drop like the iPad does.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
If only the Kindle weren't so fragile... It won't survive a drop like the iPad does.

Both are super fragile and not likely to survive a hard drop unless in a very well padded case.

Both have glass screens. The Kindle is a tad more fragile as a hard jarring can screw up the e-ink tech under the glass, even if the glass isn't broken.

But several people have posted picks of shattered iPad screens after being dropped on to a hardwood floor etc.

So neither are durable devices you want to be dropping.

I've had a K1, K2 and K3 and dropped them all, but they've been fine as I keep them in a case (Amazon for K1--M-Edge Go case for the K2 and K3). iPad I haven't dropped yet and I'm extra careful with since I just have a smartcover on it.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I've dropped my iPad from about 3-4 feet without any issues (only twice though in over a year). I dropped my Kindle from the same and the e-Ink melted away from the top. There was a huge thread on Amazon about that -- it's apparently fairly common. I will say this, though, Amazon treated me very well. They overnighted a new Kindle to me for free and paid for return shipping.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Like I said, the Kindle is a tad more fragile because of the e-ink tech. I've dropped mine hard a few times, but lucked out so far.

Just saying both are glass screens and not things you want to be dropping, Kindle moreso as the e-ink gets messed up easily.

But as you note, Amazon is great about replacing as they're pretty cheap these days and they want to keep people buying Kindle books.

AceCoolie

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I use the Kindle app on occasion but I'm almost 100% nook. I compared the cost of most of the books I read in the last year and B&N was cheaper. That prompted me to buy a NookColor for the wife and use the Nook app on my iPad.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Kindle for two reasons -

1. E-ink

2. It's much lighter

I take a ton of notes and the iBook app has finally incorporated note taking, but I still prefer Kindle

Btw - not a Nook fan at all - there's no keyboard to take notes and annotate :(

The pros of each are pretty obvious.

iBooks- Prettier, maybe marginally better functionality?

kindle- much wider selection, runs on everything, sometimes cheaper books

My local library (and it's quite common now) lends eBooks in the ePub format so I mostly use iBook or Stanza. That said I've never bought and eBook from the iBook store or Kindle Store.

Wow that is interesting.... I might need to look into that. How did you hear how common it is?

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
I use Kindle and iBooks equally, my decision typically rests upon which one I have a gift card balance that will cover the cost of the book. I use all of my credit card rewards and Speedy Rewards for either amazon.com or iTunes gift cards so I don't have to spend more money than I already have.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Entirely Kindle. At the moment, the selection in the Kindle store dwarfs what's available in the iBooks store. That's the deciding factor for me. It's also nice to know that Amazon is not tied to any one platform. My books are still available in the unlikely and unthinkable event that I happen to pick up an Android or WebOS tablet at some point in the distant future.

Agreed. Better selection and not being tied to an iOS device makes the Kindle better in my opinion.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
I think the OP meant the Kindle app on the iPad, not the Kindle device itself

True. But for those of us who have a Kindle and love it, our iPad e-book reading is locked into the Kindle app as that's where our e-books are.

The apps are pretty much the same--including things like Stanza etc. Text on the screen is text on a the screen. And they mostly have similar options for fonts background colors etc. Most readers don't care much about the frills like animated page turns etc.

So for iPad only readers the only consideration should be buying the book in which ever app it's cheapest.

If one also owns a Kindle, Nook, Kobo reader etc. then they're kind of locked into those apps as they'll want to be able to read their books on both the iPad and their e-reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.