Do you use iCloud or your computer to backup your iDevice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gc15, Dec 25, 2013.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

Just wondering? Ever since i got my 5s, i have been using iCloud because it automatically set up that way and i never changed it, but I'm about to do a system restore to hopefully get rid of some other data and i was wondering what would be the best way to do this?

2. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Both ... iCloud everyday and iTunes every now and then.

3. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I use my computer but I set my family and friends up with iCloud.

4. gc15, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

gc15 thread starter macrumors regular

cool, i got another question. My storage on my phone has about 380 mb of photo storage but my iCloud storage for photos is 2.8 gb; why is that? Is it because i have more photos in my online storage instead on whats on my device? Im assuming thats the reason, so my next question is how do i manage the photos in my iCloud?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Computer because it backs up absolutely everything. Plus iCloud doesn't allow enough storage for my backups anymore.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Always computer. I tried iCloud backups a few times but never liked using it.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

ICloud can fail, Internet can fail, at the most inopportune moment. Needless to say I back up to MY machine. The one that I have 100% control over, but that's just me. Plus my Internet upload is only like 500 kbs. What whatever float your boat man.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iCloud. It works better due to it being available anywhere. You never know if you'll have to do a restore where your information is not handy (like away from home).

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

11. mpantone macrumors 6502

I use both. iCloud for daily backups of key apps/services, my computer for occasional entire phone backups.

Note that iCloud isn't really a photo backup service. It's really a photo syncing service for recent images, thirty days or one thousand images if I recall correctly.

Since it appears you haven't bothered to do so, you should probably read Apple's page on iCloud

http://www.apple.com/icloud/

to get grasp on what iCloud does and doesn't do, as well pore over the various support documents at:

http://support.apple.com

Good luck.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

How many devices do you have (or data) that iCloud isn't able to provide enough back-up space? I have two iDevices and both are fully backed up.

13. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Computer.

The only thing I use iCloud for is Find My iPhone. Everything else is off.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well my 32GB iPhone has less than a GB remaining. And my 16 GB iPad has about 3 or 4 GB remaining. I'm assuming it won't fit on a 5GB iCloud account.

15. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

both. i use icloud for everyday backups and i use itunes only when im performing an update or restore.

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

depends on what is filling the space. apps are not backed up when you restore from icloud you download all the apps. but the setup and all the app info is restored. music and books and such are not backed up and they need synced again from your computer. so both my iphone and ipad are full but backups are less then 4 gigs.

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It depends on your data amount stored in your iPad and iPhone. If the apps are eating up your space, iCloud backup won't be influenced since it doesn't store apps.
    If you have tons of photos, videos and music, duplicated on both units, then you need additional space.

18. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I use both.:p

I do a computer backup via iTunes every few weeks or no longer than a month.

19. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I use iTunes for music, Picasa for pics/videos and iCloud for everything else.

iCloud is great for all of your apps and data, regardless of how many apps you have. Not so much for pictures videos and music.

20. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Yeah, this is what I usually do.

21. NickRichyRich macrumors member

Both. Have two forms of backup is always better than one!

22. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

both

My computer and IOS devices are back to the cloud and external drive. I've been doing that since .Mac. Nothing is full proof.. it just saves time. I do like that Apple has improved on their backup system.

But definitely do both.

23. Frau Blücher macrumors newbie

I mainly use iCloud but probably once a month or so. I back up to my Mac.

24. cynics macrumors G3

I use iCloud. Once I get an iMac I plan on using both.

I want to off load my photos onto my future iMac and to Dropbox for easy access to them but I don't want to delete them off my phone until I have the Mac. I'm just a bit paranoid something will go wrong with Dropbox until then.