Do you use passbook?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Its on my phone I see it every day (I refuse to move the default app location) but I have no way to use it. Does anyone use or even think to use it?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've used it for Starbucks, and if I were still traveling for work like I had been about 8 months ago, I'd be using it for that as well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Never. I don't go to any of the places enough to invest time to learn how to use it.

I travel a lot but after years of being irritated in line behind someone fighting to have their phone scanned at the gate I swore I'd never do that. Lol. Plus I always have a pass and my phone is generally tucked away on me with my headphones on. Seems like a hassle.

For me personally it's a solution looking for a problem. I'd like to hear how others use it though.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I use it sometimes, for airline tickets and a few stores, it has my Starbucks GC and reward cards for Sephora and Walgreens, plus my Target Cartwheel barcode. A lot of times I forget about it though.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I just started using this week for Starbucks. I go to a busy Starbucks on my way to work and this is the easier way to pay. They have these special scanners that I just wave my phone over and it's done. I noticed a lot of people using they phones which I appreciate because the long lines actually move very quickly.

I am a bit disappointed that there aren't more apps for it (and also that you have to download a separate app too). I don't fly or go to the movies much so my options are limited even though I like the convenience and would use it more.

hismikeness

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
I've used it for airline tickets as well as movie tickets.

I bought movie tickets off fandango while stuck in traffic. The plane tickets, my wife and I traveled with her 85-year old grandmother, so I had all three boarding passes on passbook and my wife took care of grandma the whole time.

Both were convenient enough.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I started messing with it more after I saw that you can add gift cards to Passbook including Apple Gift cards. Daily I use Starbucks, Kroger, and Coupons.com. Occasionally the airline and movie tickets.

If you want to add any gift cards, you can use Gyft App. This app allows you to add gift cards to Passbook. You can also buy and send gift cards.

http://www.gyft.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3LVDk7UBvc

I like the convenience of Passbook. Normally I search for apps on my iPhone like I do on my Mac (using Spotlight). Passbook is quicker because with the regular app you have to click on the part that you don't want to use first.

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not a coffee drinker, so the passbook app is just sitting there in a folder with other stock IOS apps which I don't use. :p

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I love passbook. I use it for Walgreens rewards, American Airlines tickets, Target Coupons, and Starbucks.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i tried using it and wouldn't understand, is it a standalone app at all? because it prompted me to download other apps, which didn't make sense to me at all.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Not a coffee drinker, so the passbook app is just sitting there in a folder with other stock IOS apps which I don't use. :p

LOL you are missing some good stuff with the Starbucks app. I'm not a huge coffee drinker but Starbucks is one of my favorite apps.

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
LOL you are missing some good stuff with the Starbucks app. I'm not a huge coffee drinker but Starbucks is one of my favorite apps.
Yeah, but my stomach is very sensitive to coffee. One small cup, and I can look forward to an upset stomach and migraines for the rest of the day. :(

So it's really more that I can't take any coffee at all.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Ah gotcha. They have tea and a nasty smoothie lol. And food. The Starbucks app has a bunch of freebies. I got a lot of free music and apps from my Starbucks app. Its a good way to find new music.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68030
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I don't use it. I used it once to try it out shortly after launch. It was for a store loyalty card and it didn't work. After that, I never opened it again until iOS 7 dropped. Still haven't used it again. It sits on my one home screen to make my phone look semi-stock.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2008
I like the app, and I wish more retailers would make use of it. The one caveat is that I won't use it in a place where I have to hand my phone to the cashier. I don't want hand lotions, grease and God knows what else smeared on my phone.

One time, at a movie, the guy ripping tickets actually went to grab the phone out of my hand to scan it. I wouldn't let him take it. The scanner he was using was wireless - and all he had to do was point he damn thing at the phone - which he wound up doing.

I have seen signs in Dunkin Donuts (behind the register) stating that the employee should NEVER touch the customer's phone. They are smart because it shields them from people blaming them for damaging the phone - either cosmetically or electrically (dropping it, or liquid damage).

Starbucks also has it right by placing the scanners where the customer can pass it over the reader themselves.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
I use it on a regular basis though not daily. I have Starbucks card and several loyalty cards that lighten my wallet.