Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
What for?

I used Siri for the first few days just because of the novelty. But i don't use her at all anymore. Never had this kind of function so i'm used to entering things into my phone. In addition Siri needs signal to work for most tasks so she can communicate with Apple servers. I work in a black hole so for 8.5 hours a day i can't use her.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
I've been using mine to send some texts/emails. Had some problems with it remembering who mum, dad, sister are. Been on Australian English (I live in England) because the voice of Siri is better! Though just changed back to British one because it should work a bit better. Used it a few nights ago for my alarm. I don't ever set reminders or calender things so.

In the long run I will still use it for emails/texts, will be nice when the rest of the world (not just America) can use the places/map function. Though I doubt that will be used really.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I use Siri sometimes to send emails and call people.

i used it to call people but thats about it. does anyone use the raise to ear feature? i find it stupid for anything but calling people. because if i as for something she will find it but i have to take the phone away from my ear to see what she displays on the screen. be it the weather or the pizza places near me. still have to look at the screen

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I don't have siri, but I use voice controls all the time. I wish I had money for the iPhone 4S with Siri, I think I could really benefit from having it (her?). I am an avid cyclist, and I have my 3GS mounted on my handlebars during my (15+ mile) rides. I can't text or call anyone (or really do anything on the phone) because I am riding my bike. I love having voice controls because I can say "call so-and-so" or "play music by so-and-so."

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I use her for checking the weather, asking stupid questions and setting reminders. I hope that I will get more accustomed to her and use more of the functionality as time goes on.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I don't have siri, but I use voice controls all the time. I wish I had money for the iPhone 4S with Siri, I think I could really benefit from having it (her?). I am an avid cyclist, and I have my 3GS mounted on my handlebars during my (15+ mile) rides. I can't text or call anyone (or really do anything on the phone) because I am riding my bike. I love having voice controls because I can say "call so-and-so" or "play music by so-and-so."
What do you use to mount your 3GS? Do you use it as a bike computer?

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
Have it and love it. I've used it for calculating, adding appointments and reminders, texting in the car (my favorite), checking the weather each morning, and searching the web. I really find it very useful.

njgeek

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Is it going to rain tomorrow?

What's 250 * 4.5?

Text the b**ch I'll be home soon (assigned the nickname to my wife, her idea!)

Enable all my alarms

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
Have it and love it. I've used it for calculating, adding appointments and reminders, texting in the car (my favorite), checking the weather each morning, and searching the web. I really find it very useful.

searching the web? really? but she doesn't read out the results so whats the point of that. i guess other than not having to open safari and type

I

iFanboy

In addition Siri needs signal to work for most tasks so she can communicate with Apple servers. I work in a black hole so for 8.5 hours a day i can't use her.

TIL

I too work in a black hole of phone signal only. If Siri is basically useless without an internet connection this will definitely affect my purchasing decision.

Will it still manage text messages and phone features without a data connection? If it's just the stuff that obviously require a data connection, such as local restaurants and tomorrows weather etc.. I could live with that though.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
A friend of mine just got his 4S and is using Siri all the time. I couldn't believe the quality and length of the texts he was sending me while driving on the interstate. Needless to say he's quite attached to her now.

Personally I think it's the biggest Apple crack yet. They've managed to make people literally love the device now.

He says it's her personality that makes him like her even more.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 23, 3 04 59 PM.png
    Photo Oct 23, 3 04 59 PM.png
    744 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I use Siri all the time. Just today we were on our way back from Picking apples and the wife asked if we should order pizza. No problem, "I'm in the mood for Pizza" and BAM! Had a list of places around us, including our stand-by place that we didn't have a number to as it's on our Fridge. 10 minutes later, we had our pie and a car load of Apples and Pumpkins. Pics of all that to come :D

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Will it still manage text messages and phone features without a data connection? If it's just the stuff that obviously require a data connection, such as local restaurants and tomorrows weather etc.. I could live with that though.

I believe it needs a connection to effectively translate speech patterns and determine what you want - so, no, it won't do anything without signal.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
TIL

I too work in a black hole of phone signal only. If Siri is basically useless without an internet connection this will definitely affect my purchasing decision.

text messages should work. dictations in general should work. but stuff like finding the weather and asking about things in your contacts anything where siri has to understand what you mean not what you say needs internet connection.

I

iFanboy

I believe it needs a connection to effectively translate speech patterns and determine what you want - so, no, it won't do anything without signal.

Well that sucks :(

Home is fine as I have Wi-Fi. Work still has a wired router ( :rolleyes: ) and data signal is rubbish.

So basically if I get an iPhone 4s i'll only be able to use siri at home :(

autigerMark

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
Daphne, AL
Only when I'm bored, I'll ask siri a crazy question just to see how it will respond.

Other than that, no. To me it is a gimmick and a useless feature. I wish apple had devoted their energies towards some other flagship feature for the 4S and just left siri in the app store where it belongs.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
text messages should work. dictations in general should work. but stuff like finding the weather and asking about things in your contacts anything where siri has to understand what you mean not what you say needs internet connection.

I put my phone in airplane mode and siri won't even allow me to speak.

Maybe it will work differently with no signal, rather than connections off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.