Do You Use Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Muzzway, Dec 9, 2007.

?

Leopard folks: Do you use Time Machine?

1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. Yes, as well as another backup utility

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No, I use a manual backup program

12 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. No, I use another automatic backup program

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. No, I don't backup at all

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Muzzway macrumors regular

It seems that a lot of people here don't like Time Machine. I personally do not; I don't want to have to carry around an external drive around with my MacBook all the time. So, how many here actually use it?

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I use it and love it - for both my MBP & my Mini. I do wireless backups of the MBP via the BUD set up as a network share on the Mini. When I travel, I simply dont back up for a little while. As soon as I get home from a trip, I immediately back up and resume my normal daily schedule. The backup schedule is great for 90% of home users. Anything I need backed up more than that... I simply do a manual drag-n-drop.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yes, I used to use carbon copy cloner, but now just TM

4. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

I use it, although I don't carry the HD around with me. Usually when I'm out, I just don't worry about the backups, since 99% of my stuff is in the back up already and no new stuff is coming in or out of the internal HD.

Time Machine is a nice feature; It has saved my butt a couple of times already :D

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I use it. I'm glad I do too, because it has saved my iphoto library and a few home movies already.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You don't have to carry an external drive around all the time - if the disk isn't plugged in Time Machine will just skip the backup and catch up when it is plugged in. Any backup that's worthy of the name has to go to an external device, so I don't really understand why the requirement for an external drive could be considered a reason not to use Time Machine.
    It's so easy to use that there really isn't any reason not to use it IMO - I'd be interested to know what people who aren't using Time Machine do for a backup solution that's easier to use or more convenient than Time Machine

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I used to use Deja Vu to make a bootable clone of my hard drive, then with Leopard I did one last Tiger image, and now I just use Time Machine. It seems to work really well (the only exception being that pesky Aperture issue).

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have a small partition on my MB drive to backup a specific part of my home directory to stop me accidentally deleting any working documents.

I mainly use Superduper as my backup program.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I find it funny that a poster would be convinced that something must be the case, whether it's the belief that most don't use Time Machine, most iMacs are defective, most MBPs exhibit gradient issues, etc., only to find out that the poll shows it to be the contrary.

10. kolax macrumors G3

I use it with my MacBook Pro.

I do manual backups with Time Machine - i.e. before I go to bed I'll set it to do a quick backup.

I do daily backups rather than let it go on its own and do hourly ones.

11. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'll use TM when I can splurge and buy me an external hard drive.

12. acxz macrumors regular

I don't use it. I back up my important files manually instead.

13. britpop macrumors member

I love it. I never backed-up my computer before. Call me lazy but I never got round to it. Time Machine is perfect for my lazy ways. :p

14. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

You don't need to/aren't supposed to.

I use it, but will still want SuperDuper! in the future.

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I use it. It works great. It even saved my data once :D

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same here.

About once a week, I'll plug in my Time Machine drive in and let it do its thing. I like that if I forget, after two weeks, Time Machine pops up a quick, non-intrusive reminder!

Speaking of saving my butt, I totally (!!!) mucked up about four contacts in my Address Book the other day. I love how Time Machine is integrated into Mail and Contacts!!! Instead of having to restore the whole Address Book file, I was able just to restore those contacts that I had messed up.

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Praying is easier and more convenient, but it doesn't work as well :rolleyes:

18. brian0526 macrumors regular

How to Use Time Machine?

Great question about who uses Time Machine. I am/was using SuperDuper. I like the fact that it gives me a bootable drive and I can actually view the drive and see the folders/file structure. It basically creates a clone of the drive. But, it takes forever to run in it's once a day backup and I think TimeMachine will be easier to use should I ever just misplace a folder or delete something I shouldn't have. So, I just wiped out my SuperDuper backup and will allow TimeMachine to do its thing.

The thing I'm wondering about is what if I lose my entire drive? How do I recover my files from Time Machine back onto a new disk? I assume I'd have to install Leopard first. But, will the new version of Time Machine (just installed) be able to recover files from the external drive I've got now? Is there a "restore all" option to essentially build a clone of what I had?

p.s.- my plan was to use SuperDuper and Time Machine but now that I'm editing digital video, there's not enough room on my external drive to keep two copies of everything. Depending on the answer to my question, I might drop another $110 and get a second external drive to run a SuperDuper clone on.

Thanks,
    Brian

19. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Good info here

20. brian0526 macrumors regular

Very helpful. Thanks! If I can do a complete restore of my drive from TimeMachine, I may just scrap SuperDuper. I can't think of any other reason to keep it around.

21. brian0526 macrumors regular

I'm curious as to why you want SuperDuper in the future. I thought I needed it too (bought it just a couple of months before Leopard launched). But now I'm not so sure. What does it get you that Time Machine doesn't?

I guess the only thing I can think of is that if I completely lost my drive, I could plug my external drive into my laptop and boot from it. That would be pretty sweet. But, I'm not sure that unlikely event is really worth it if I could recover my Time Machine backed up files from the external drive anyway.

22. GuntherS macrumors member

I don't use Time Machine. I need to buy an extra external hard-drive.
    I manually backup my important files :)

23. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Yes I use it. You just reminded me to backup actually :lol:

24. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

If I have a mirrored RAID set up, do I even need to use Time Machine?

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used to. Now I just don't have the drive space on my external. I'll switch it on again once I get a bigger HDD.

500gb internal and the 300 for backup would be a nice combo.