Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 87 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 58 40.0%

• Total voters

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
London
Was thinking about this earlier as I think the iPhone 4 is the best looking phone out at the moment and was thinking about whether I would rather have a completely new design or something similar and I kept coming to the conclusion of wanting something similar. That way I know I won't at least dislike the looks of the phone.

What do you want?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I don't mind them changing it up a bit, but I hope they keep the glass sandwich'd design.

And OP, all iPhone's have looked similar to each other :p lawl
2g-3g-3gs-4g.jpg

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
London
Haha, well I just feel the iPhone 4 looks quite different to the others, maybe just me though. =P

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I really like the iPhone 4 design. I don't mind if they change it as long as it does not resemble the previous generations.

Glass / metal = good

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I really love the iPhone 4 design. It would be neat if they could increase the screen size while keeping the design as small as it is now. What I also don't like about changing the design of the device is that then you have to wait for new cases to be released and such that support your device.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I definitely prefer the look of the 4 to the previous generations and would be happy with the same look being continued provided:

1. There is a coating applied to the antenna band surrounding the phone or some other means of reducing the signal loss when one holds the phone in what I would deem a "normal" manner (and thus altering the capacitance). You may say "use a case" but I am not using one for several months now and really like it. I just have to be careful in the way I hold the phone and I have always been very careful in handling my phones.

2. I would like the rear to be made of some form of "gorilla glass". I have not dropped the phone yet and I know if I did, it would be cheap to have the back replaced. However, this would take away one of the perceived demerits of this phone that it is too fragile.

3. A 3.7" screen would not go amiss.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
I definitely prefer the look of the 4 to the previous generations and would be happy with the same look being continued provided:

2. I would like the rear to be made of some form of "gorilla glass". I have not dropped the phone yet and I know if I did, it would be cheap to have the back replaced. However, this would take away one of the perceived demerits of this phone that it is too fragile.

+1.

Though it looks nice, I hate the hard edges on the phone. A case solves that but I find it hurts my fingers a bit when on long conversations.

So IMHO, a case is required to survive a fall on concrete.

AmereckanPsycho

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would like it to look like the iPhone 4, unless of course they could somehow make it sexier. I really hope they lose the glass back and go with a brushed aluminum finish, or something similar.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Yes because I have an iphone 4 and I want there to be continued incentive for accessory makers, especially case makers, to keep making cases for it :D.

Other than that, I like the iphone 4 looks but the 5 looking like it doesn't affect me cause I won't get another one until my contract runs out in 2012 which they'll probably change the case by then anyways.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I think they should remove the metal from the 2 sides and keep it on the top and bottom. For the sides, they can do something interesting. Maybe showcase more glass?

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Oh, and I definitely hope they don't bring back a curved back. I like being able to use my iphone on a table without it rocking. I notice that difference between the 3G and 4 a lot more than how it fits in my hand (I got over that pretty quickly. I have to have held a 3g in my hand right before to notice the difference otherwise).

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I want it to be basically just like the iPad 2. Edges would be curved but then then the rest of the back would lay flat. You wouldn't see any buttons when viewing the front because they're tucked under the screen along the curved aluminum. I like it on my iPad, I want it on my phone too!

---
Sent from my second generation, tabular Apple product

GP_1

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I like the iPhone 4 design the best. So i'd want that design with a bigger screen...

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
I think the iPhone 4 looks great, but I won't buy a phone with breakable glass on the back, pure and simple. So I answered no to the question.

I prefer the curved design. A small iPad 2 would be perfect.

That's basically the current iPod Touch, and the edges feel too sharp in the hand IMO. That's my criticism of the iPad 2 also. I wish Apple would put more emphasis on how it feels when holding it. My iPhone 3G feels very nice to hold, and I like it for that reason.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I think the iPhone 4 looks great, but I won't buy a phone with breakable glass on the back, pure and simple. So I answered no to the question.

That's basically the current iPod Touch, and the edges feel too sharp in the hand IMO. That's my criticism of the iPad 2 also. I wish Apple would put more emphasis on how it feels when holding it. My iPhone 3G feels very nice to hold, and I like it for that reason.

Might have to get used to sharp edges bro. With Apple making their devices thinner and thinner, the next common problem of work life will be iPaper cuts from our phones and computers. ;0

---
Sent from my second generation, tabular Apple product

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
The next iPhone must distance itself from the antennagate special.

A fresh new look will be a huge advantage.

If not, it will still sell in massive quantities, most people just don't care. They're a dime a dozen anyway.

It's the case makers that save Apple, since that's the only way to cover the plain looking glass.

Time for Apple to freshen it up, or not. Its just a phone.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Might have to get used to sharp edges bro. With Apple making their devices thinner and thinner, the next common problem of work life will be iPaper cuts from our phones and computers. ;0

Ha ha… ouch! Or maybe not… These fads come and go if you watch long enough. I remember when the coolest mobile phone was the very smallest one. They kept getting smaller and smaller… But now you're seeing these huge Android phones and the fans are claiming that as a feature.

In marketing terms it's called product differentiation. Smallest, biggest, thinnest, whatever. Thankfully, Apple is also about ease of use, but that's a little harder to quantify on a spec sheet. :)

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Ha ha… ouch! Or maybe not… These fads come and go if you watch long enough. I remember when the coolest mobile phone was the very smallest one. They kept getting smaller and smaller… But now you're seeing these huge Android phones and the fans are claiming that as a feature.

In marketing terms it's called product differentiation. Smallest, biggest, thinnest, whatever. Thankfully, Apple is also about ease of use, but that's a little harder to quantify on a spec sheet. :)

So true. I remember some really small little flip phones a couple years ago! But now it's not really about that. It's not really about being the biggest either. I think we're trying to find that "sweet spot", while doing so In a way that makes our devices the least intrusive to have. (lightest, thinnest, ect.) Personally, I want a 4.5 inch iPhone. (not saying I actually expect that to happen). I had an Inspire 4G and when I came to the IP4 I sure missed the large screen :/

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
If you throw ergonomics out the window, the iPhone 4 is the sexiest thing out there bar none. I love taking the case off and looking at the design and wish it was built to be used caseless.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
If you throw ergonomics out the window, the iPhone 4 is the sexiest thing out there bar none. I love taking the case off and looking at the design and wish it was built to be used caseless.

It IS built to be used caseless. You just choose to put a case on it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.