iPhone XS Max Do you watch films on your XS Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ffosse, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I haven't tried this yet, only watched a few YouTube clips.

But I have an iPad Pro 10.5" and a MacBook. Perhaps film viewing is part of your commute.

2. menist macrumors 6502

menist

I watch a couple movies with VLC and it was good. Notch is annoying at first but you'll learn to adjust.

3. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, on YouTube I've tended to zoom out to avoid the notch.

4. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

5. Waterman316 macrumors regular

I watch videos all the time on my phone. At work, even at home. I actually pass up my iPad Pro 10.5 most of the time unless I’m doing some sort of extended watching. But there’s times at work where it’s slow and I’m waiting on something, I watch live tv on my phone to kill time. No issue whatsoever. And it’s a lot nicer on the xs max compared to the x.

6. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

Is that due to the screen size or something else? I must admit, I watched few videos on my X when I had it.

7. madgalaxy macrumors regular

I may watch an occasional part of a sports game if I am out in about. But 80% of the time I have my iPad with me which I use for media consumption.

8. now i see it macrumors 68030

The great feature of watching movies on a big iPhone is that you can watch them while lying down on your side and have the display angled correctly to your tilted head. It's very easy to hold (with a Loopy Case). The iPad is too big and heavy to use like this. For lying down & watching movies, a big iPhone (with a Loopy Case) is king.

9. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

That makes sense - it's hard to beat the iPad for movie watching. But for me, at least, it's too unwieldy to use when I'm in bed.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I watch Directv Now, Amazon Prime, as well as my iTunes library. Works well with the Max. Don’t see a need now to get a iPad.

11. Waterman316 macrumors regular

I wouldn’t say just screen size. Although that’s the majority of it. The stereo speakers on this phone are amazing, at least as far as speakers on a phone goes.

12. jona2125 macrumors 6502a

Absolutely, I'm generally without the ability to carry around anything bigger than what I can stuff in my pockets and I have a lot of chance to consume media at will which really helps pass the time and keep my focus so my Note's and now Max have been super great at giving me the best affordable real estate.

13. doboy macrumors 68020

Nope. Prefer to watch films on my OLED TV and I drive to work so can't watch during commute.

14. cornerexit macrumors 6502

Same. I watch films on a big screen. 49" - 73" at home. No interest in watching anything other than short youtube stuff on a phone.

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Even watched movies and TV shows on iPhone 5.

16. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

17. treyhunnid macrumors regular

treyhunnid

Yup. Nightly when the misses goes to bed and the bedroom tv goes off

18. nutmac macrumors 68040

I have a lowly iPhone XS and I watch videos on it because HDR videos look so amazing on it.

19. archer75 macrumors 68020

Just youtube. I won't watch any shows or movies on it. I have tv's for that.

20. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

21. Mackinjosh macrumors 65816

Movies? God no. That's what my giant TV is for. Tiny screens are good for youtube or Twitch.

22. wilk0076 macrumors member

wilk0076

Been watching movies on my iPhone for years now. I'm gonna recommend Infuse - best media player I've used for iOS.

23. Vivian125 macrumors 6502

Vivian125

On my iPhone XS Max i only watch not more than 5 minutes. Because 16:9 is much smaller as the Max will have black bars on side in witch irr1tates me. Also most of the movies i have watch has subtitles! But i cant seem to read subtitles on XS max with fullscreen because it is zoomed! So it is back to being small again just as small as 8 plus at 5.5"

Most of the time i watch extended movies for 7 hour on iPad Mini 4 or iPad Pro 10.5" or macbook and i liked it 10 times than xs max.
    I really, really, really, really, really, really like it because iPads and Macbook dont strain my eyes when watching or reading unlike on tiny iPhone XS Max witch is only good for texting and social media

24. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

I watch Netflix/Hulu on my phone in bed rather than on TV so I don’t disturb the wife. It’s great.

25. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I don’t generally watch full length feature films, but will watch shows up to one hour. I used to do the same on my 6s and the experience on the max is much more enjoyable.