Do you wish the watch had a keyboard?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MyAppleWorld, May 8, 2015.

1. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

Most often I find the situation is inappropriate to use Siri - yet I would like to send a quick reply - do we think apple will introduce a keyboard? I know the screen is tiny but they have one on the Microsoft band which works pretty well.

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

This is my calculator app. I am a small woman with small fingers. Size 5 ring finger to be exact. I can use this app but it's not easy and I make a lot of mistakes.

I'm not ruling the idea out, but it would be challenging to implement and probably not be well received by a lot of the larger finger people.

Attached Files:

3. solarguy17, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

If it was setup so each button was three letters like old non-smartphone had for texting. That wouldn't be bad, it would take getting used to but not the worst.

Also those texting competitions would make a come back.

4. MyAppleWorld thread starter macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

Cool I never thought of a calculator app but thats useful!

I too have very narrow fingers and am surprised at the mistakes ive made entering the passcode.

I'm sure apple could do it though. Are there any 3rd party apps that let you type?

5. Subdiv macrumors 6502

Gotta love autocorrect...
    :D

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think if you need a keyboard, you are missing the point of the device.

7. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Roland took the works right out of my mouth.

It's a watch... if you need to type just use iPhone.

8. techno-Zen macrumors 6502

Yup, its a damn watch!

9. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

10. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

11. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Yes but sometime I just want to say, "sure" or "30 minutes".... And its not in my pre-canned replies or smart replies... I don't think a keyboard would work, but I definitely dont like pulling out the phone for that when I am half way there on the watch already. For longer replies, obviously not meant to do through the watch

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

14. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Just FYI, you don't have to speak loudly to Siri. I've replied to people a few times in barely more than a whisper. Wouldn't do that in a meeting - would just excuse myself for a moment if a reply couldn't wait. But I've done it at the grocery store, etc. and not been noticed at all.

15. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Only if it's an actual keyboard like older blackberries! :D

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

"Kitt"

"Yes, Michael"

[​IMG]

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

LOL - I did feel a little Stargate SG1. Love it.

18. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

I wish I had a few more slots for canned message defaults.

19. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Of course not. The Apple Watch is there to provide the time and so you can quickly see notifications at a glance.

20. Lynnie27 macrumors member

Minuum might come up with something, there's one for Android wear.

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Next watch should have a 5.5" screen, at least. Plus 128GB of RAM. And a better battery. And GPS. And cellular LTE. And a fingerprint reader. And 1080p resolution at least.

22. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I can barely type on the IPhone 6 Plus keyboard, so I smell doom. But I admit I'd be willing to try a Watch version if it is a feature that can be easily ignored if it turns out to be a failure for me.

At the very least I'd love to be able to erase the question mark or type in a preset "Talk to you later" that is a statement and not a question that almost sounds like begging in some contexts. I prefer to dismiss my minions, not beg them to grant me a future audience! ;) :D ( in case it doesn't translate well, that is tongue in cheek humor. I'm not that arrogant)

The competition apparently has done it, albeit on larger watch faces. I'd be interested in seeing an implementation on Apple. I can't help it. My curiosity gets the better of me. I'd at least like a try at it before GrumpyMom says "Non!" once and for all.

It would also be cool to have a way to override Siri's insistent use of the wrong word in certain contexts without having to sit there and verbally spell them out like I'm at a spelling bee.

23. supermoon macrumors newbie

supermoon

Japan has long thrived on directional touch-and-flick style of keyboard which allows input of 46 different characters on a small screen with fairly large keys. Each key can be used for five potential characters - straight press, flick up, flick right, and so on. But still I don't think the watch has enough space and subjecting people to that kind of learning curve is not ideal. And that keyboard is really ideal only for Japanese because each "consonant" carries five potential "vowel" sounds e.g. a i u e o, ka ki ku ke ko, ta chi tsu te to etc

24. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

25. VFC macrumors 6502a

Here's a pic of the Android keyboard in one of the Bad Apps Watch Faces. Surprisingly, it is usable on the Moto 360.

Attached Files: