Do you wish you had gotten a cMBP rather than rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FuNGi, Oct 1, 2012.

?

Do you wish you had gotten a hi-res cMBP rather than rMBP?

1. Yes, it's been a total pain-in-the-a$$

15.0%
  2. No, the hassle is worth the beauty/design/performance

17.7%
  3. No, my machine has given me no problems and people like me

67.3%
  1. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Hi all,

Given the number of complaints I've seen (and purchasers I've known) I am curious to know how many of you retina MBP owners wish you had just gone with a good 'ol hi-res 15" MBP and saved yourself the hassle of returns, replacements, repairs, and retina-scaling issues.

Thanks.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

While I'm not a huge fan of the retina, I do think it is a great machine for some.

I'm confident Apple will sort out what are nothing more than teething problems, probably not too long before the second iteration of them.

I don't think it worth the price premium over the classic, although I think the price will come down as volume ramps up and suppliers are able to reduce costs.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I have found it worth the hassle, I have a non uniform screen, but I also have Apple Care, I will get it looked at at some point but it just doesn't bother me that much. Apart from that, it is beautiful, the display looks great and it is snappy.
    I absolutely love it, it is simply the best computer experience I have ever had.

4. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

There isn't really a price premium, especially after comparing the cMBP and the rMBP it is clearly advantageous to have an SSD, an over-clocked graphics card, not least the beautiful screen, more efficient cooling, supremely thin design and lower weight.

5. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Not really this is the future of computing. If you're for it or not is the real question.

6. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Although the price difference isn't the point of this thread their is a difference if you need the equivalent functionality of a cMBP:

2.6 Ghz retina ($2,799) + apple drive ($79) + USB ethernet ($29) + 750 GB HDD for a time machine backup ($90) = $2997

2.6 Ghz cMPB (2,199) + hi-res option ($100) + 512GB M4 SSD ($400) = 2,699

Also, these rMBP prices don't reflect potential lost-time from repair/replacements if you happen to be one of the unlucky few.

Again, this is not really the point of this thread as it is true that Jobs said when the MBA came out in 2010 that this is the future direction of their laptops. The point is if you, as an early adopter, would have chosen differently if given the chance.

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

8. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Came from a 17" HRAG, which I loved, to the 15" retina. The screen is worth switching for alone and I've yet to hear the fan, if I so much as thought about playing a game or using a VM on the 17", the fans would go into aircraft takeoff mode. I can safely say that it's the best machine I've ever used.

9. asdad123 macrumors regular

No problems with mine after one exchange.

My first one had a bit of screen bleeding noticeable to me. Best Buy switched it out no problem and the new one is perfect.

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

if you're willing to live with some caveats and obvious flaws, the RMBP is fine. just really wished things didn't lag so much on the retina screen.

11. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Perfectly happy w my retina so my answer is NO!

12. alyshehata macrumors member

Perfectly happy with my retina macbook. The weight of this thing is amazing. THe screen is amazing. The SSD is awesome. All that for an even less price than a CMBP. Go to online apple store and try to Build your own CMBP with the retina specs, it'll be more expensive.

This machine is just amazing

13. Adr1an02 macrumors newbie

I have no complaints. I had a desktop pc and an older laptop both have been replaced with this machine. I can go from editing Illustrator files to playing Binary Domain is a matter of minutes.

14. stevelam macrumors 65816

how are you editing illustrator files when illustrator hasn't been updated for retina? vectors and text all look blurry. or are you switching to ridiculous 2800 x 1800 non-hidpi mode?

15. Adr1an02 macrumors newbie

I have an external monitor I do most of my work on. I know it's a taboo thing around here I need to look at a large screen. The DPI is no where near as high but at the end of the day it's about comfort.

16. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

Just to clarify that you need an Optibay and optical drive enclosure or external hard drive enclosure on top of the cMBP price to obtain a time machine backup. Also you haven't put a price on the over-clocked graphics card;) The couple of hundred dollars is worth it for the screen and extra portability!

I thoroughly thought about the cMBP before purchasing and I'm so glad I went with the retina and jacked it up to 16gb, most of the initial problems don't seem to be popping up so often and I haven't had any problems at all with my week 34 and LG screen after all the silly issue testing, its simply wonderful!

I am slightly nervous that the ghosting will occur as people have reported after the one month mark.

17. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Well actually you need an external enclosure for both - so I didn't include them as they would cancel out ;). True about the graphics card speeeeds.

I find it fascinating that this machine is so awesome despite people dealing with, and reporting about, the many issues/problems.

18. Bebel macrumors member

I love my rMBP and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands to make me go back to a cMBP.

19. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

No you wouldn't:p

I think the majority are satisfied, a proportion are getting issues and an unfortunate amount of people are finding the issues despite them being visible to the naked eye!

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

To be fair, the retina screen gives you functionality that you can't just retrofit to the non retina models.

21. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

No issues and no regrets with mine!! Thin, light weight, gorgeous screen, fast, silent, runs cooler and cools sooner than the Classic, better speakers, and MUCH better keyboard [ at least for me ]. The only thing I dislike is the Magsafe 2 !!

Love this :apple::apple: computer!!

22. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Um. What is that "expansion drive"? I was referring to the replacing the HD in the cMBP with a SSD then using the HD as a Time Machine backup. You need an enclosure for the internal drive.

Granted you can fit more on the screen. I meant the gross functionalities.

23. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

The future of computing?

We're still in the present, the technology inside one of these is what is available today. This product represents backwards thinking in terms of user upgradeability for a 'Pro' machine. It is a great design in terms of an engineering stand point but the guts for that price are no match to those available out there in other machines for much less. They may not look as eye catching but when the power truly reflects the price. This is a really fashionable conversation piece hands down!

I would have still liked to see all the sex appeal and power for an updated 17" MacBook Pro if there was an option to minus the retina display, I'm near sighted so all screens are equal to me. The best for retina are the smaller devices like the eyefad, eyefones and airs. Fifteen inch will never make sense to me because 7", 11", 13" and 17" make sense for portability and 27"+ makes sense for desktop.

Just me.

24. bill-p macrumors 65816

It's not just fitting more on the screen.

Once you see that text, there is no going back.

25. doh123 macrumors 65816

Or $35 for a non-Apple USB DVD drive (or spend $90 and get BluRay)... you can get a 1 TB USB3 drive for backup for that $90 ... to use the 750gb from your cMBP externally you'd need to buy a case for it.. thats about an extra $15. Factor int he hassle of having to swap drives out in your cMBP that not everyone can do... its not looking that different. Then you have people who don't have to buy any of that extra stuff because we already had it...