Dock Connector to be Removed in iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Dec 29, 2010.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/29/standard_charger/

It's about time, the Apple dock connector is so stupid compared to micro-USB. The Apple dock connector is such a waste of space, it is ginormous and is proprietary for the sake of being proprietary. Virtually every other phone on the market uses either mini or micro USB, which are the logical choices. But I bet you Apple will renegade from it's promise.....

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You also need to consider that all accessories that customers have purchased over the years will become useless if they go away from dock connector. Car radios, docks, chargers and so much more will no longer be compatible. Its like throwing money away. I still use my universal dock from 6 years ago with my iPhone 4.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I wouldn't worry. If Apple doesn't make a converter 10 other companies will.

Also, the title is misleading. Apple may be supporting this but that doesn't mean the dock connector will be gone this quickly.

4. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

The Apple dock connector was a poor design 6 years ago and is even poorer now. Why is the friggin connector so HUGE??? Just look at the small size of mini and micro-USB. Heck, even regular USB is smaller than the Apple dock connector. Every other device uses USB, but Apple just uses it's own dock connector to screw you over into buying useless accessories that won't work with anything else.

5. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Considering that Apple signed it in mid-2009, it will have had plenty of time to remove it in the iPhone 5. For how much hardware is packed into the iPhone 4, the Apple dock connector is a real waste of space and an eye sore.

6. vant macrumors 65816

There was a long long thread about this.

To summarize, apple is getting away with it by supplying a USB charger cable.

That is In the fine print of the agreement.

Apple will have a dock connector in the iPhone 5.

/thread.

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

and yet, most docks/speakers are designed for apple dock connectors, not micro usb. It may be stupid but its very illogical and nearly impossible to replace it now. My bet is they package in an adapter

8. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

For the amount of space the dock connector takes up, you could put in huge stereo speakers or an even bigger battery. Look at what a waste of space it is on the iPhone 4 (silver part at bottom):

[​IMG]

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I wasn't referring to how long it would take them to redesign it. What I meant is that they have a very healthy accessory ecosystem and more importantly a lot of control over it. That's my thought at least.

10. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

I see the Apple dock connector is the new Windows XP.

11. vant macrumors 65816

Yes but you forgot that apple makes money off these connectors. They are also heavily invested in it (accessaries).

Either way, this thread is pointless, because we have no impact on anything.

12. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

So Apple will continue to use outdated technology to screw you over for more money?

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yep. They're a business after all. Also, it's hardly outdated. Other than size what advantage does Micro-USB offer?

14. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

The size advantage of micro-USB is HUGE compared to the ginormous Apple dock connector. Also, I have a many mini and micro-USB cables laying around from all the devices I've bought that use them, but ONLY 1 Apple dock connector. The universality of USB is HUGE.

15. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

How exactly is Apple screwing you over with outdated technology? The dock connector terminates in a USB connection. Apple does not force you to purchase an adaptor, they supply one in every box. To comply with the proposed EU standard, all Apple has to do is change the cable, or provide a USB to Mini or Micro USB adaptor. Compare this to the plethora of Nokia and LG chargers out there for standard cell phones, which is what I am sure the EU mandate is really all about...

Oh wait, based on your join date, you are just a troll, and I just fed you...

Chef Jay

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I wouldn't call it that huge. I've got a dock connector cable for just about every use in my house. Probably something like 5. You get one with just about everything you buy that supports the dock connector. It's not that much of an issue because Apple has had control of it for so long.

17. vant macrumors 65816

One of the benefits of the dock connector is docking. It can support an iPhone upright on it's own without a cradle. I would know, I set it on my dual iLuv every night. A microusb would suffer more strain.

18. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh good, one of the Apple fanboi's have arrived.

Apple screws me over by requiring me to re-buy charging cords (ie: for car, extra for for work, etc....) when I have usb ones that work with everything else.

And you don't even have the right idea of what I'm saying based on your "To comply with the proposed EU standard, all Apple has to do is change the cable, or provide a USB to Mini or Micro USB adaptor."

I'm saying "GET RID OF THE APPLE DOCK CONNECTOR FOR GOOD".

19. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

They've done it for years & it's made them obscene amounts of money. This proves Apple only cares about profit taking, by locking people into their proprietary systems.

20. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Ummmm, you do know that the Apple dock connector is not meant to be used in that way, right? Note all the dock adapter plates Apple has to release for every single design change?

21. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

It is huge, because I don't want an Apple cable that just works with Apple stuff when USB works with everything else. And I'm not that much of an Apple fanboy to buy that much of their stuff just to get extra docking cables that they would otherwise charge you $20 each for.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's interesting because I have ZERO devices that work with micro-usb.

By the way, try not to double post. It's against the forum rules.

23. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Move away from the Apple stuff......

Oh, and replying to posts from others constitutes a "double post" now? Really? Maybe I should just shut up.

24. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's not hard to edit your last post. It just cleans the threads up.