Does 4.0.1 fix antenna issues? POST HERE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pez555, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Does 4.0.1 fix the antenna issue?

1. Yes

91 vote(s)
    45.3%
  2. No

183 vote(s)
    91.0%
  1. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

PLEASE READ WHAT IT DOES.
    It changes the way the bars are shows. that does not change the hardware antenna of the phone in any way. When you conduct the 2 places it will forever loose signal. Sorry.
    The answer is no, it may look like it does, but your still dropping 20 decibels and that's a fact.

2. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

HOOORAY! IT WORKS!

4.0.1 also solved world peace and cured the cancer in my pet turtle!

3. hippo206 macrumors 6502

i love threads where i can pick both yes and no.

4. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68020

Pez555

added a poll.

would be useful if people tried calling in places where they had dropped calls

5. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

lmao, thinking the same thing.

6. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Haha! Just did that!

7. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

No way.

Tomorrows announcement will be a well crafted, highly misleading placebo. Once upon a time Apple was the champion for consumers. Now they've grown up to be the greedy corporate giant that tells their customers how it's going to be. Somethings never change. Like the saying goes, you pay your money & take your chances. Apples like Las Vegas. It's all about the money.

8. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

love the percentages... 63% yes, 94% no... how does that = 100%?

9. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

You can vote both yes and no sadly.

10. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Mine seems to be a bit snappier. :) The signal bars don't seem to go down as much but they never did really before.

11. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68020

Pez555

lol oops i buggered the poll up. Just shows the amount of immature people on these boards though.

i think some of us would appreciate real responses, try calling people in areas where you dropped calls previously, try speedtest results, internet etc.

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Seriously? Are you delusional? Apple has already stated that the signal bars tweak will NOT remedy reception issues. Just stop.

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Yes, it improves the call quality by .01%. Look apple. This thing is not going to fly. If people are buying smart phones, then they are probably more than just average joe who knows what is going on with tech world. Either recall the product or come up with something else.

14. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I think we can all agree it brings us less bars in more places.

15. jaysquires macrumors newbie

not made a difference for me. down from 5 bars to 1 in the death grip. waste of time

16. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68020

Pez555

well this thread will be a good opportunity to prove Apple wrong then wont it.

17. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

Slightly better, before I would completly lose signal, now it goes down to 1 bar and I can still make calls

18. UCF-ENG macrumors regular

I think some have a hard time understanding the difference between hardware and software, that is the only thing that can explain this thread. OF COURSE the software update did not fix the hardware flaw, I don't understand how this is debatable...

I'm updating my iPhone 4 right now, maybe Jobs has a included a magic packet that will magically restructure the phone ;)

19. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

Ok, so the bars don't drop all the way now, BUT since the update I can not get a 3G connection at all

20. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I think Apple's "software fix" was genius for several reasons:

- It shifts blame from them to AT&T. Instead of having more bars in more places, people will consistently see fewer bars. If you drop a call after falling from 5 bars to Searching, it's easiest to blame the phone. If you drop a call after going from 1 bar to Searching, it's easiest to blame the network.

- I'm not saying that the update fixed my reception problem, but it did change the way I perceive it, and that was their goal. I have a very strong science background, and I fully understand that this update didn't affect the way the hardware operates.

That being said, for the life of me I can't get a call to drop in the same location where it was happening before. I can get my phone to drop from 2 bars to 1 bar, but I can't get it to go to Searching, either during or outside of a call, with or without a case.

However, although I can't get it to drop a call, I can make it unable to receive a call. Meaning that even though I have 1 bar, if someone calls me while I'm deathgripping, their call goes to voicemail.

I still have more testing to do, but I think Apple is very smart from a "politics is perception" standpoint, and I think this update will cause less complaints to them and more complaints to AT&T.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Prove Apple wrong on what? They told you this is only a signal bar recalculation. They never told you this is the fix to the signal drop.

You are just delusional. Quit it. This thread is pointless.

22. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah cuz Apple just throws out updates untested with no idea if they'll work.

23. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

lol well they threw a phone out :p

24. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

"Death Grip" will drop down to 1 bar but will not drop a call.