Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffreyk

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
I don't regret it at all. I miss my old BlackBerry's physical keyboard at times, but I still think the iPhone is the best option for me...YMMV.

I agree about missing my old BB physical keypad but the trade off is worth it with the iPhone 3G. I've never used a piece of CE gear as much -- every day -- as I've used my iPhone. Quite a brilliant mini-computer.

MrGadget28

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
I agree about missing my old BB physical keypad but the trade off is worth it with the iPhone 3G. I've never used a piece of CE gear as much -- every day -- as I've used my iPhone. Quite a brilliant mini-computer.

I would call it a mini computer too. I love how it displays web pages just like on a desktop. I can't wait to get my Touch 2G.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
And I was paying $100 a month for basic everything with $15/month Best Buy insurance which didn't cover theft, loss or water damage.
I believe it does, I was going to get it. I have a meeting with Best buy so I'll ask to make sure.
You iPhone users better keep your iPhones with you at all times or you'd have to pay $500 for a new one.
Most phones you buy before you are eligible for an upgrade are not cheap. My last phone was the same price as the iPhone when not eligible.

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I haven't regretted my iPhone for one minute!! I have both generations, and I am still in love with my 3G. There's always the fun of using new apps.

Whatever comes out this summer, I'll be on line. Its become a tradition at this point!

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
I don't regret it one bit. I bought the 4 GB as soon as they discontinued it and sold it at a discount. I ended up wondering how I could live without it!

Then, the night before the 3G release, I listed it on eBay starting at $99 with a Buy It Now of $199. It sold via Buy it Now in exactly ONE minute (I couldnt believe it) and after the nightmare of getting my 3G the next day, I love it even more.

My only regret is buying the 3G on the actual release day, seeing as how I was there from 5am-1pm. Or at least I regretted it that day!

I would never go Blackberry.......

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
And I didn't like the 2 year mandatory agreement with AT&T. If they would have offered me a one year plan with a lower monthly rate for everything say in the range of $100, I would have kept it.
Most phones require a 2 year contract. IMO, knocking the iPhone for that is unfair.
My bill (450 minutes, data plan) is around $80/month. It's a little more if I get text messages from friends. It's not cheap, but it's not a $100/month either.

To this day, I don't regret getting my iPhone. Before I bought it, I simply wanted an iPod and smartphone. When I heard about the iPhone, I was entranced because here was the answer to what I wanted.
After Apple's various updates, it's proven to be even more indispensable. For example, I get lost easily. So, I use the locator on google maps to check where I am and use the map app to remedy the situation.
Also, using the browser is really easy. People who own blackberry or some other phone are asking me to google things on my phone. I once asked why. Essentially, the answer was because my phone made browsing simple.

I could go on about why I love this phone, but ymmv. If you know someone with an iPhone, ask if you can type with it, browse, etc. The typing is probably the biggest issue. Unfortunately, it also requires practice to get the best speed. If you can't deal with a virtual keyboard, the iPhone is not for you.

Hope this helps.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
London
It would seem that one of the main disadvantages that im gathering from this thread of LOVE for the iPhone is that the contracts, data plans set up by the mobile companies are rather harsh, almost detrimental to the iPhones use/popularity..

Would that be a fair assumption to make??

Im currently on unlimited texts (in reality its actually limited at 2000, they just assume that someone wont send that many in a month) and 20 hours of calls. For 35 quid a month. I used to regularly go over that, then i learnt to be a bit more sensible. :D That plan is with O2, on a 6300, which i actually bought

I like the 6300, it just has its moments of naffness, regularly crashes with too much use, the batteries quite rubbish in reality

Thanks alot guys

PTP

MrGadget28

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
I really liked the look of the original iPhone better than the 3G iPhone. I know that Apple gave it the aluminum problem due to reception issues but they can always come up with something.

If I had gotten the original iPhone, I wouldn't have bought a case on it.
On the 3G iPhone, it NEEDED a case because that thing was a scratch/fingerprint magnet without one.

I just preferred the sturdy, aluminum look to the black/white back of the 3G iPhones. They all looked awesome but the aluminum one seemed so much more durable. Drop the 3G iPhone once without a case and it's done.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
It would seem that one of the main disadvantages that im gathering from this thread of LOVE for the iPhone is that the contracts, data plans set up by the mobile companies are rather harsh, almost detrimental to the iPhones use/popularity..

Would that be a fair assumption to make??

Im currently on unlimited texts (in reality its actually limited at 2000, they just assume that someone wont send that many in a month) and 20 hours of calls. For 35 quid a month. I used to regularly go over that, then i learnt to be a bit more sensible. :D That plan is with O2, on a 6300, which i actually bought

I like the 6300, it just has its moments of naffness, regularly crashes with too much use, the batteries quite rubbish in reality

Thanks alot guys

PTP

you only get 2000 texts per month!? and they call that unlimited??? I could not get by on that...

ScottSFA

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
Besides getting made fun of by my jealous friends..."Me: Can I borrow a scantron? Them: You mean your iPhone can't print one out"...Not one bit.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I regret getting the iPhone 3G because the original iPhone build quality is much better and sturdier. I downgraded to my original iPhone and it's so much easier to hold and type on. By the way... downgrading to the first gen iPhone did not restart my contract.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
For me, there are only 2 devices on the market that are worth batting an eyelid at: BlackBerry and iPhone.

I had a BlackBerry originally, and moved over to the first gen iPhone, purely because it was Apple, and revolutionary.

I had a hell of a lot of problems, but luckily I was only a few months away from getting the 3G, so I waited it out.

Again, I suffered lots of problems and found PUSH was something I couldn't live without, after being with a BlackBerry. (People bash BlackBerry's all they want, but the BIS/BES service is unrivaled. It's amazing).

So, I've got a custom BlackBerry Bold. All blacked out :)

I might go back for another crack at the iPhone, depending on hardware changes and how the 3.0 OS stems out - but right now, I'm happy with my CrackBerry.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
you only get 2000 texts per month!? and they call that unlimited??? I could not get by on that...

In the UK you don't get charged or have texts deducted from your allowance for receiving a message - which I understand is the case.

So while you might well use more than 2000 outgoing messages, in case you don't, 2000 text messages here is exactly that - 2000 outgoing messages. ;)

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
In the UK you don't get charged or have texts deducted from your allowance for receiving a message - which I understand is the case.

So while you might well use more than 2000 outgoing messages, in case you don't, 2000 text messages here is exactly that - 2000 outgoing messages. ;)

ahhhhh I forgot about that. I guess I could maybe squeeze by with 2,000 texts then.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I'll be buying a third gen on release in June, and after living with my iPod Touch since December 07, I cannot wait. Unlike others, I hope they stay with the black plastic, it looks wonderful and better reception.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Not at all. Ive had mine sense launch date now (almost 2 years old!) and I love my phone. Sure there were some annoying things like no MMS but 3.0 is addressing a lot of that anyways. Plus, the phone does so much that most phones dont, so im happy :)

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
London
yes you got it right Kardashian, 2000 texts is part of my contract which i pay for, 35 quid a month :) which is a good deal in the UK if im led to believe that most contracts are alot more than for the same deal, especially with the amount of calls that i get as well :)

All in all i probably send/receive about 3000 texts send more texts than i receive... what can i say, i get bored easily and like texting people alot!! :D

Im probably going to be following your tactics nick, my birthday is in june as well so monies will be received making it a bit easier to afford i reckon :)

PTP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.