Does anybody else.....shudder when family/friends buy a PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hankcah, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Hankcah macrumors regular

Does anybody else shudder, when your friends or family tell you they bought a new PC and it has better specs than a Mac. Ugh... is it just me or would you rather have a used older Mac, rather than a brand new PC that will get viruses for sure and feel like a hunk of plastic?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's never about all the specs, but please(^∞), have a look at the links GGJstudios provided, as this is discussed to death every month or so.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Personally I prefer Macs over PC's... but just barely. I would rather have a used Mac instead of a new PC (In fact, I've gone this route probably far too many times) but I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing a new PC, nor would I not consider that an option for myself in the right conditions. IMHO, there's really nothing wrong with Windows if you're not an idiot when using it.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

No. Don't shudder at all.

1) It's one less person for me to be informal tech support for. It's real easy when someone who uses a PC asks me how to do ...? I tell them I don't know. Period.

2) Then when a bunch of us grey haired old farts set up a quick and dirty network during a board meeting to move some documents around (because while we could have emailed them to each other, it's just more fun to disrupt a board meeting for 5 minutes), and then the 'young and hip' PC using youngsters ask us how to connect and we get to say "I don't know how Windows does it. Doesn't it just appear in your sidebar?"

Nope. I don't shudder at all. In fact I smile a little bit. :)

5. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

When my parents needed a new computer, they asked my advice on what to get. The answer was easy: get a mac and I'll gladly be their technical support person for life; get a PC and they are on their own... They bought a mac.

The best is when I'm at Best Buy and watch someone play with the Macs, and then later see them walk out with the PC priceleader from the Sunday ads.

6. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I've managed to avoid having to put my parents through this. I just donate my old tech, which I know inside and out, is still fast enough for them, and is easy to support. I recently hooked up my mom with an old mac notebook, and between iChat and screen sharing, my life is a breeze. Recycle tech if you can, it's better that way.

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I own nothing but Macs. I currently have 10 of them (home, lab, and office).

Last Xmas my wife wanted a Windows laptop so ..... I bought her one. Who cares!!! It's what she prefers.

Cheers.

8. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

no, should I?
    People buy based on what they need and my brother bought a PC because it's cheaper and he wants to use EyeFinity to play games.

If anyone rubs their PC specs in my face I just tell them, "Well I'm glad you like it. I'm sure it's great for what you need it for."

Then I laugh when Windows has a problem. No need to argue.

9. andrew086 macrumors regular

you know, this is why people hate on mac users so much.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

**** 'em if they can't take a joke. :D

If my computer choice allows me to be smug, why shouldn't I? I put up with some razzing by Windows users who give me a hard time 'cause of the 'Apple Tax'. So when my Mac allows me to keep working, and their PC get bogged down.... then, yeah.... I'm going to be a bit smug.

And when a Mac makes some complicated things very simple, then - yeah - I'm going to show those who razzed me about the supposed Apple Tax why I don't mind paying for a quality system.

OK - I'm cut off the caffeine today.... this was supposed to be light hearted.... :)

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't shudder because they bought a Windows or a computer with better specs than what Apple is offering. ;)

You are crazy:rolleyes:

12. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

THANK YOU for this! I wish more users on both sides felt this way. If you are happy with what you're using and what you've purchased, why should it matter to anyone else? If a PC user is happy with their new laptop, let them be happy with it - there is no reason to berate them for not using a Mac. I've been heckled SO many times for being a Mac user, and it makes me laugh every time - how does my computer decision affect you?

.. oh wait. It doesn't. I'm happy with my purchase. If you don't agree with it, I don't care - your happiness doesn't influence mine.

13. andrew086 macrumors regular

I meant how people think all Mac users are elitists and think that Mac users hate everyone who uses a PC.

so no, I don't shudder, unless of course it's a Dell.

14. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I have nothing against other people using Windows computers, but it's true that I would rather see them buying a Mac.. I guess it's just that the personal experience people get from switching to a Macs makes them happy to spread the word :rolleyes: It's sort of a post-windows-trauma that hits us every time we are reminded of having owned a Windows computer.

15. 7thMac macrumors 6502

No, that's just silly. One of my computers is a desktop PC running Windows 7 and it's fine. No viruses ever and premium parts and monitor.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I do because they always want advice on it and/or want me to fix it.

17. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

I don't shudder because a lot of my family and friends do not want to spend the money for a mac, and honestly for their usage they don't need to. A friend of mine bought a windows laptop that was on sale for $250 last year. I spent $30 on more RAM for it and it meets her needs perfectly.

Everyones computer needs are different, buy the computer that meets YOUR needs and not someone else's idea of what is cool or you should buy.

18. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I don't shudder, but its painful to see people pay so much for a windows laptop and then pay extra for the antivirus, geek squad membership, some other random software (a lady I know payed around $850 for a laptop...and it still sucks :eek: )
    My mother bought an hp laptop 2 years ago...it was good at first but its battery was ruined after a year and I didn't want to spend $100+ on that batter (i know...$100:confused: )...it also gets too hot...maybe there's dust in it...but I don't want to open it...
    I'll just wait until this one dies and then get her a mac :D

19. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I only shudder when I know I'm the one they will be calling when there's a problem with the thing. Otherwise, it's their time and money to waste.

21. Queso macrumors G4

Nope. Virtually everyone in my immediate circle with a need for a computer has become a Mac user over the past 5 years or so. With absolutely no pushing from me either.

Which is good, because these days I never have to have that conversation where they expect me to justify my choices.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

What they use doesn't bother me. Heck, I have Macs & PCs at home and at work. But I do shudder when they expect me to update and maintain their computer for them because you never know how much time will be involved.

What I usually do is recommend someone that I know who is trustworthy and is eager to provide help like they will need. A win-win for everyone that way.

Succinctly put! :D

And I agree. While I prefer the Mac OS, and have for many years, Windows works fine too.

23. Gakboi macrumors regular

Nope. In fact I tell them to buy a PC unless they need a mac. My parents don't need to splash 2k so they can check their emails and use word. They are running a Sony Vaio and it has given zero problems for over 18 months now. The Viao I bought for myself at the same time is dead already because my usage is much more intensive. MBP is still running strong tho.

24. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

What do you mean by intensive? Even if you push CPUs at 100% 24/7, it shouldn't kill a computer.