All iPads Does anybody else think that now the Air is pretty much useless?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Aetherhole macrumors member

The general idea's the same. Technology and advancement in technology is just as essential. Preference for different options in technological advancements and products is going to create discussions (hence the forums).

Having different types and brands of peanut butter available is going to spawn different opinions on which people prefer. If you overhear a random person discussing with another person their preference for chunky peanut butter over creamy peanut butter, doesn't automatically give you need to butt in and say "who cares" about their preference or their discussion. It's a pointless interjection in a discussion that doesn't really include you, on top of it being pretty rude.

We all want to share and discuss our opinions and it's obvious that you want yours known, otherwise you wouldn't have posted anything. You don't need to come in here and try to act like you don't care because it's a lie; if you truly didn't care you would've ignored the thread.

People are here at MacRumors forum to discuss their various Apple products and their preferences. You came to the MacRumors Forum, then to the iPad forum, then to this thread specifically, just to say you don't care? Just like the groceries and PB example, doesn't that seem like a reach and honestly kind of ridiculous?

Why is it any different? Because we can find comfort in being able to be rude from behind our keyboards and computer monitors? Let's try to show a little civility towards one another by adding constructively to a person's thread.

Back on topic, I still think the iPad Air is worthwhile. It's a fantastic stop-gap between my 5" phone screen and my 15" rMBP. Not quite as portable as the phone, but most certainly more portable than my rMBP.

2. 570934 Suspended

Wow, people are so easy to wind up. It was posted in jest, you missed the point I guess lol

3. christurbo macrumors regular

I was going to send my air back for a mini (booked through John Lewis) however after loaning a mini there is no way I could live with one.

The screen size is so perfect for all uses, the mini is a compromise for portability. Now this is something that is overlooked on the Air - it actually is portable! I have a had a week of using it at home and for business meetings and I don't even notice carrying it around. I have even noticed that I can hold it at the rear with one hand (naked with no case) so that box is now checked.

The Air is the perfect tablet in my opinion and it goes everywhere with me.

4. Aetherhole macrumors member

I guarantee that if you asked most everyone here, your attempt of humor didn't come across as such. Chalk it up to jesting if want now, but none of your posts in this thread were construed as such.

Back on topic again...

@christurbo, I feel the same way. The Air is quite a bit more portable than previous generations of full-sized iPads. Many people don't mind the sacrifice of screen-size of the mini for extra portability, but it comes down to what they use it for (at least, somewhat).

I think the mini is a good size and I had every intention of getting the rMini when it was released (available) because I liked the form factor and size compared to the 4th gen iPad. When I checked out the Air it just felt like the right size without sacrificing the screen real estate!

5. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

My ipad is mainly for content consumption. So the larger screen is definitely a must.

6. AppleRobert macrumors 603

+1.

As far as the Air being useless, for me personally a smartphone on contract is more useless. :D

7. kerr macrumors member

I was always disappointed with the size of the mini screen. The mini is only 18.6% smaller diagonally, compared to a 30.2% difference in the Nexus tablets. So I don't understand how anyone can say the mini is grossly undersized or that the Air is way too big. They just aren't differentiated enough/

8. 570934 Suspended

Lol chill out fella, it's a forum. Personal opinions and all. I guess you'll waste any few minutes of your life replying to this post. :p

9. Aetherhole macrumors member

"Personal opinions and all" is right; you may want to consider that before you "jokingly" post, "who cares." You might want to "chill" before you post erroneously, so to avoid a conversation you aren't willing to have.

Waste my time? I do try to be constructive and productive, which is most certainly not a waste of my time. Even your opinion is of value to someone, so why not post as if you are a real person? I take no offense to your posts, I am just trying to speak out for others who just might take offense, because you know that there are.

I'm just saying it'd just be nice to have a little more civility on the forums because we are here for the same reasons.

10. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Get Both! I am :D:cool::apple::p:rolleyes:

11. Stack Overflow macrumors member

It's the same PPI (within a small margin of error) as the retina iPhones.

12. Stack Overflow macrumors member

Actually, that's a very good point, and you've missed the applicability here. It's not just people talking about Apple products, and those that don't like Apple products popping in to say "who cares", it's people who are getting excited over Nutella, and saying that Peanut Butter doesn't need to exist anymore. (Or creamy peanut butter vs chunky, or those sandwich wraps vs bread, you get the idea)

There's nothing wrong with discussing the merits of the different products, but the OP (and others like him who have started their own, similarly nonsensical threads) basically got confused and thinks that just because he doesn't want the iPad Air, then no one else would either. At least, that's how he worded his thread title.

13. 570934 Suspended

Lol would you like to waste some more of well rounded, constructive sentences on this reply. :)

14. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Those 2 inches are just the reason I bought an Air rather than a Mini this time around. When you get older and your vision is less than perfect the increased font size is appreciated and I didn't mind spending more to get a device my eyes can appreciate. So, what's useless to you is vital to me.

15. Freida macrumors 68000

It's sad to see someone like you. He made good point and was constructive, unlike you.
    If you were man enough you would say sorry for your bashing comments and would move on. Instead you keep proving you immaturity by continuing with your ridiculous excuses. Shame

16. 570934 Suspended

My word, oh well back to my Sunday afternoon. I'll keep my fishing tackle at the ready!

17. Aetherhole macrumors member

I certainly agree that there aren't just people who like Apple products here, but the point and hope for what I am explaining is that we stop the insensitive posts the drive the Apple product enthusiasts away, especially when it comes from like-minded enthusiasts, like 570934. He has posted and even started other threads about his enjoyment for apple products, but then he comes and degrades another person's thread.

The OP definitely didn't start on the greatest note with the heading and his post, sure. However, it definitely was a question he wanted to see if people had similar opinion on, rather than a simple factual statement, which some people are taking as such. Still, it has definitely led to better discussions and postings of opinions because of it.

18. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Ohh well... I bought the mini 2 cause the big one was a bit to pixelated, the retina one and now with the mini 2 with 326 ppi, I can barely see them and no, I don't hold my ipad 2 inches away from my eyes.

----------

In my country, the mini 2 16 gb wifi only is 580 dollars

19. amazingkitty macrumors newbie

Yes I think so

More useless functions are added

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Since you wrote this post we now have 6 more days of additional sales for the Air and no the Air is not useless obviously. People wouldn't be buying it if this was the case.

You also have to consider the commercial side of business for the iPad. The sales team where I work all use iPads for showing off our company brochures and a larger screen is the bonus in this instance. I'm not a fan of large screens on mobile phones, but on a tablet I would always consider the larger option. I bought the Air on Friday and it was the larger screen that influenced my opinion. Not everybody factors price in as the leading factor either. There is clearly a market for both sizes.

21. jateelover macrumors member

I bought an air