All iPads Does anybody else think that now the Air is pretty much useless?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Nov 5, 2013.

1. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Of course there are.

And there are some that totally disagree.

And some that wish these types of posts came with a warning.

2. Bear macrumors G3

It's 2" diagonal. It's noticeably larger watching video and browsing the wbe. And it's only $100 difference. At $170 difference, the original mini was worth it.

Now it's a question of portability vs size. Size will win for those that don't need the extra portability of the mini. Especially for people who tend to keep their electronics for a few years.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

To be completely serious for a second, Apple played this brilliantly. They did not want the redesigned iPad to be a footnote to the new mini with retina like the iPad 4th gen was a footnote to the first mini--they wanted it to be a new iPad. They wanted to differentiate it from the last 4 full sized generations. iPad mini is still new enough in peoples' minds that it's a novelty, but full sized iPad has been around for 3 years.

When I first heard "iPad Air" during the keynote, my initial reaction was "that's stupid". But when I saw and held the thing, I thought, "that name is perfect". This is what Apple was going for. This thread is a good example. Yes, it may be a really dumb clickbait thread, but look at what we're discussing: should I get the Air or the mini?

The first 4 gens of full sized iPad were dropping out of the conversation after the mini came out because the mini just proved even more how overly heavy and thick they were. I myself was willing to downsize to a mini based on weight alone. But the iPad Air is new and slim and sexy, and I had to have it as soon as I saw it.

To each his/her own--the point is, you're now going to buy one or the other instead of most of you buying a mini and overlooking a full sized iPad.

4. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Good point but even with shrunk bezels I'm still gonna buy the mini, not the weight bothered me but the size of the screen, even though I can hold a 3rd gen in one hand, it's hard for me to use it, for example in shooting games, there was once when I had to finish a shooting game on my iphone 4 because the controll on a normal size ipad was hard. Even though the Air is a bit smaller, when you hold it in landscape mode it's still the same size as the old one.

5. 570934 Suspended

6. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Those who replied.

7. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

You pay $100 for about an extra 15 square inches of screen space. Guess what? Not everybody wants a smaller screen. Guess what else? Not everyone cares that much about price. smaller =/= better

8. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Nope. I find that the mini is useless. I also don't try and convert everyone to buy the same thing I do.

9. illuminoraa macrumors newbie

Bahaha

10. xraytech macrumors 68030

Does anybody else think that now the Mini is pretty much useless?

I mean, the mini 2 has the same specs BUT smaller, why would anybody buy the Mini 2?

11. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

What? :) Why would I need mini which is 2 inches more than my iphone? Air is perfect combo of mini lightness and ipad great in size screen. Mini is pointless to me, too small!

12. Kaizen macrumors member

The mini screen is terrible, but not only because of the low resolution. It also has a very poor colour gamut. I wonder if the mini retina improves in this area?

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

I'm going to spend $500++ on a tablet. So might as well aim for the best. The one with bigger screen and battery life.

I'd go big or go home.

14. erawsd macrumors 6502

I actually feel that way about the mini. I got one because I thought it'd be nice to have an iPad I could take anywhere. However, I found that it was still too big to comfortably carry around and my phone is able to handle every function as good and often better. At home, I much preferred the larger screen for browsing, gaming, and even reading. So I sold my mini and I have no interest in going back to a device that size. Infact, I wish there was a larger iPad Pro...

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

some folks like the larger display and are fine with the smaller unit size.

So while you don't care for it, no it is not useless for others

----------

I would say sometimes on that one. Some games are set up to use movement to control them so a smaller unit like the mini is better for that.

however, if more games add controller support then the larger screen is less of a hassle so yes the larger screen could be better

----------

And awesome comes to other folks minds.

It's an opinion. You are entitled to yours but so is everyone else. Calling folks 'ridiculous' is not cool.

16. jgo78 macrumors 6502

Um , no. Pretty silly statement

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There are markets for different people. Just as there are people who don't like bigger tablets, there are many who do not like smaller ones.

I love my iPad mini, but when I'm watching a movie on it or browsing the Internet, the bigger screen the iPad Air is much better.

One the other hand, my iPad mini is very portable, etc.

Each has its use; doesn't make either one useless, and to claim otherwise is bigotry.

18. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Don't mind the kid, he just wants validation for waiting for the iPad mini retina.

19. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

20. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I had a mini but I've just ordered an Air. The extra size worries me a little but using my old 3rd gen today reminded me of just how nice that 9" is compared to the mini. I just hope the weight isn't too bad compared to how light and 'floaty' the mini was.

21. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

got the air, returned it and holding on to my ipad 3. I dont use my ipad alot so no need for it. I did like the air but unless i'm doing some stuff like games, or music production etc etc, didn't really need it. I will however check the ipad mini when it comes out.

22. Aetherhole macrumors member

What I find funny is these comments on a thread you "don't care about".

It's like someone going to grocery store and saying, "I don't need groceries right now, so who cares if you do?" or simply stepping into a grocery store and saying, "lol at grocery shoppers..."

If it's irrelevant to you, why come in and even bother saying anything??

23. 570934 Suspended

We'll due to groceries being essential, iPads not.

24. I8P'CS Suspended

All I know is I wouldn't want to be carrying a 5-6" iphone 6 as well as a mini next year. What would be the point throwing money to Apple on a rMini and iphone 6 besides showing off.