Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I want it for going home and double clicking controls. in games and such it takes more effort to swipe up to get out of it

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I've been on iPhones since the iPhone 5 and I've learned to be comfortable with the home button. I've seen that the recent iPhone releases lack a home button. Well, I learned to be comfortable with the home button.. I suppose I can learn to be comfortable doing things a different way.

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
I thought I liked the home button more until I gave the Face ID/no home button combo a try.

I went from an 8 Plus to an XS Max and it took like a day to get used to not having a home button but now I couldn’t go back. My parents have 8 Pluses and they ask me to help them with their phones often...I find myself swiping up instead of reaching for the button. What used to be normal operation to me is now a struggle. Something about swiping up just seems more natural. Just my .02.

Reactions: digitalexplr

pippox0

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
On the long run mechanical home button can fail. I had to replace home button on my iphone4s , and it was a mess. So i prefer touch virtual home button ... imo

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
On the long run mechanical home button can fail. I had to replace home button on my iphone4s , and it was a mess. So i prefer touch virtual home button ... imo

Not enough information here. How long did you have your iPhone 4s? Perhaps you just received a faulty unit that had issues with your home button to begin with. I still think it’s an extreme minority for those to have mechanical home button issues, when there are literally capable of hundreds of thousands of presses.

pippox0

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
I have used my iPhone 4s for seven years with a normal daily usage ... Now i have an X , and i have given the iphone 4s (repaired and with a new battery) to my son.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Hell no. I was worried that it would be hard for me to adjust after so many years with a home button. I got used to it in almost no time at all and I love the extra screen real estate.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
Hell no. I was worried that it would be hard for me to adjust after so many years with a home button. I got used to it in almost no time at all and I love the extra screen real estate.

I don’t miss the home button or touchID at all since moving to an X a year ago. Personally, I would not go back.

Reactions: MisterSavage

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Physical button is much better only for Apple Pay in my humble opinion.

Other than that I don’t even notice it’s not there.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The extra display makes a huge difference. Comparing an older iPhone model to the XS display changes the whole experience, gesture controls is extremely well executed.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
After using a X and now a XS I would consider anything other than screen a waste of space.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I was just discussing this with a buddy. We both upgraded from button phones; me from a 7 Plus, and him from an 8 Plus. We both agree, a button is superior to no button. We love the huge screen, and we feel like swipe is adequate. Adequate, but definitely not as good as a button. Swipe is a compromise. You get a full edge to edge screen, but the cost is the simplicity and convenience of a physical button.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
A physical button is just something for people to complain about. I remember so many people had issues with the home button: mushy, not crisp, too high, sunk in, crunchy or just does not feel right!

Nope, Apple did the right thing and got rid of it. Not that people do not complain about the volume buttons, they make a LOT of noise if you frantically shake your phone is a quiet room!:p

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wasn't sure at first, but would disagree now. I much prefer Apple Pay with the XR compared to my former 8+.

I’m still adjusting to face ID with Apple Pay, but what I really find the most useful version of Apple Pay, is with the Apple Watch, that seems much so much more natural and cashiers always seem to be amazed at that technology that’s been around for a few years now.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I’m still adjusting to face ID with Apple Pay, but what I really find the most useful version of Apple Pay, is with the Apple Watch, that seems much so much more natural and cashiers always seem to be amazed at that technology that’s been around for a few years now.

Yes!! It’s funny when you get that reaction.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I miss the home button but I missed the physical keyboard back in the Droid 1 days for many... many years. Face-ID is a huge success. 7 months ago I got my Xs from an 8+ and yeah... I couldn't be happier with it. It works really well and I see why they went to it from the thumb print. I still like Touch ID and kinda miss it, but only nostalgic, no good reason.

Laying in bed with my face on a pillow, Face ID doesn't like so I have to lift my head up, never had to do that with Touch ID, but it's a minor inconvenience. Works in dark too!

Still, within a month I completely adapted to gestures - swiping up, swiping up and to the right for double home button press. 7 months in and it's completely 100% natural.

Like @Relentless Power said, I've owned iPhones since the 4s and never seen or had a button fail.
Just curious as to how you got your Xs 7 months ago when it wasn't released until September 21? 7 weeks maybe?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2016
Nope, had it on every phone until my I bought an xr 4 weeks ago and wouldn't want to go back. When I had it I was unsure whether I would like not having a home button, as I did with Touch ID, but now I miss neither of them and much prefer Face ID and having more screen. Before touch ID I didn't see the need for it but when I started using it I wouldn't have wanted to go back. Same with ApplePay, the list goes on. I often think that I won't like/find useful new features but pretty much every time I've been proved wrong!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.