Does anyone else think 16 Gb is too small for an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SgtP3pp3r, Mar 8, 2012.

1. SgtP3pp3r macrumors member

I didn't really care about the retina display, and as great as it looks on my iPhone; i honestly didn't find that i NEEDED to have it on my iPad. I am content enough with my iPad 2 to tote it around for another year or two before inevitably trading it in for it's newest incarnation.

Retina seemed like a great addition for the iPad though, and i'm sure a lot of people are going to enjoy their brand spanking new iPads (for lack of a better name). But i hadn't really sat down and thought about it, or what it implied until just 10 min ago... and now i hate the idea.

When i bought my iPad 2, it was an experiment. I didn't know how useful it might turn out. Didn't know if it would sit idly for months on my desk at home, or if it would turn out to be a marvel of modern technology that would become a piece of me. So i bought the 16 Gb version. Boy do i regret it. Specially now.
    Not buying the iPad, i don't regret that; i regret getting the 16 Gb version.

This thing has become an inherent part of my day, i use it constantly, for note-taking, for web browsing, email reading, photo viewing and everything else Jobs implied on that great Keynote back in 2010.
    But, what i find myself using it for more and more, is reading periodicals. I have a couple of subscriptions to magazines, and i love them.

But now i find out that those magazine issues are gonna end up weighing a whole lot more each on account of retina display. The extra pixels mean extra space, and the worse part is, my iPad can't even display the extra oomph... but i'll have to download it anyway. New iPad users will have to download the content for iPad 2 and original iPad, although they won't use it either... So it all turns into a lot of wasted space...

On a 16Gb iPad, this issue is specially infuriating. On my regular usage (which is a lot), I have had to cut down the amount of apps installed, limit the downloaded issues to 1 per periodical, have no music, few or no videos, and i still only have about 1.6 Gb free... and now I'm finding the periodicals and apps in general will weigh in a lot more for stuff that i will have to download, but ultimately cannot use... wtf.

No, seriously... wtf.

They should have just gone ahead and killed off the 16Gb iPad... it will become useless pretty soon, with much larger files on EVERYTHING. It's just too little space. I can't fathom using this thing at it's full potential with anything less than 16 Gb internal storage as is, i can't imagine with bigger files. It'll start feeling like a 256 Mb thumb drive...

Retina is fabulous, great, awesome. But the new iPad sizes should be 32, 64 and 128.

Sorry 16, but you're just not sweet anymore.

2. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i am an ipad user for whom a 16gb or even 8gb ipad would be perfect for. i have a desktop where i store all my media files and stream everything, which means more space on my ipad for apps and whatever other junk i want to put in there. if apple didn't think there was a market for the 16gb, they wouldn't have created it, but there obviously is. as muck as we'd like to think they are, those guys in cupertino are NOT DUMB.

3. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

I had the 32gb before, I used a lot of space, before the introduction of iCloud After iCloud my music, photos and apps were all in the cloud so my space usage changed dramatically, i rarely went over 10 gb's, half for applications and half for movies and tv shows. But now that movies have gone in the cloud as well, i went with the 16gb + apple TV instead this time around. It most likely will be enough, but i'll have 14 days to decide that

4. rgr555 macrumors 6502

if you don't store or play a lot of games i think 16gb is enough

games and hd movies are what takes space quickly (hd movie is 1-5gb, big fish games are 500-1gig, infiniti blade 1 gig, etc)

however, if you're willing to do some micromanagement 16gb is alright. i went straight for 32gb this time around.

5. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Depends on how you use it. If you pack it with high-quality music files and HD videos then well you'll quickly surpass the allotted 14GB.

I have yet to pass 8GB on any of my previous iPads. I might knock on 10s door if I choose to load an HD movie. But then there's Hulu and Netflix and youtube for my video watching purposes. And Pandora and MOG for my music-listening purposes.

6. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

16GB is fine, use your computer to store your videos and stream them via Air Video app, use iCloud/iTunes Match for your Music/TV Shows/Movies.

7. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I opted for the 16 GB since that is all I needed and did not want to spend the extra $100 for something I would not need nor use ;)

8. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Yup exactly, Air video and splashtop minimize the need for more memory, while a 32 would add more comfort, the 20% price increase doesn't equate to 20% more product for some peoples needs.

9. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I always buy the one that has the most of whatever is available. So personally, I wouldn't get less than the 64 gig model.

10. stevelam macrumors 65816

air video is a god send. i also use google music to stream directly to my device. i haven't loaded any local media on my iphone in forever now.

11. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

agreed, google music seems to work a lot better than iTunes match

12. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I'm getting a 16 gb this time around too. I am currently using 4.4 gb on my 32 gb iPad. Music goes onto my iPod and the only movies I watch are streamed from Netflix. I just could not justify spending more when I will never use it, so 16 gb should be fine for my needs.

13. Kendo macrumors 68000

Thanks buddy. Your post really solidified my 32GB purchase. How many MB does a single periodical take on average? Because I was interested in picking up some magazine subscriptions.

14. The Bronx Bull macrumors member

I don't quite get this. I have yet to find a way to store live content in iCloud... it seems to be primarily for backup purposes. For example, how would I move my entire camera roll of 2500 pictures to iCloud, keep them in the Cloud and accessible at anytime, but have that space freed up on my iPhone to take more pictures? :confused:

15. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

I dont think it goes all the way to 2500, just the last 1000 is saved in photo stream.
    I guess my situation is a little different because my main computer with iPhoto and iTunes is running for the majority of the day, home sharing gives me access to all of that anywhere in the house.

16. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I am one of those people who is just fine with "only" 16GB of storage. Even before iCloud, 16GB was more than enough. Perfect for music, apps, and books. No big fat HD movies gobbling up space. :rolleyes:

Which is why I went for the 16GB model. Again.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I, on the other hand, could have used 128GB. With the cool games tipping at over 500MB and pushing 1GB EACH, and my music, and my movies.... No, iCloud doesn't work for me. Even over wifi it would take forever, and over cellular forget it. I want my stuff with me. To each his own.

18. zenit macrumors member

I had a 64gb Ipad 1 which i bought second hand. Years after getting it, i still use about 6gb total.

Everything i've done on it was always cloud-based. Such things as Mendeley, Dropbox and streaming for video and audio.

If they made 8gb or 4gb iPad i'd gladly buy that. In my case 16gb is too much space.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I've used about 1/2 of my 8gb iPod touch in 3 years. Does anyone think 16gb is about 4x too much?

20. joshuaginter macrumors regular

Not many people seem to be agreeing with you. But add me to the group of people that thinks 16GB isn't enough.

I like having entire TV seasons with me for road trips. That's 6-8GB per season, if in Standard Definition. I have a couple mapping applications for when I travel and those seem to eat some space as well. Put photos onto your iPad for the new iPhoto app and it's looking awful tight.

I have a 32GB iPad now and I would even consider the 64GB next time around. Even if I don't fill the full 32GB now.

21. jack1123 macrumors newbie

I went for the 32. I have over 16gb on my 4S (almost went for the 16 4S, thank god i didn't), and I'm going to want more than that on my iPad. Ill stick a few seasons of a tv show or two on there, and thats 10gb gone already. I understand some people are happy to micromanage their space, but I'm happy to pay a little more and be able to keep more stuff on there. More choice and less micromanaging

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The device is not upgradable, so if you feel you don't need it and don't want to or can't spend the extra money, then don't. But storage is something that is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. It becomes a personal financial decision on whether the $100-$200 extra is "worth" it to you.

Me, personally, would prefer to have some unused GB laying about than finding out my iPad is full and I have to start managing my storage. YMMV.

23. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Went for the 16Gb, if I need to I'll just sell and get a 32Gb down the line but I doubt it.

24. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

There are people that go about the iPad in a VERY casual way.

So the 16GB is perfect for them.

/bradllez

25. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike