Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
looking at most of your comments. Do you store music on the iPad because you don't have an Iphone/Ipod/Nano? Or do you store music on both meaning Ipad and one of those devices? I have a nano that all my music goes on (for working out/Iphone has all my music for the car etc....

As far as videos the Air Video app works well for streaming from my home network, even remotely

iPhone + iTunes Match + Google Music for me (i'm usually always using pandora though)

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It depends are you the type youse it to play and have loaded a bunch of games on it? Do you watch and like to sync a good amount of movies?

If yes to any of those questioned then it's to small obviously

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It depends are you the type youse it to play and have loaded a bunch of games on it? Do you watch and like to sync a good amount of movies?

If yes to any of those questioned then it's to small obviously

yeah if you like to sync movies period will take up a great amount of space. 1080p movies are at least 2gb+

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I just can't wait for the jailbreak to come, ifile was great on my iPad 2, i bought about 5 32gb SD cards for about 100$'s on amazon, filled with HD movies for flights and such.

As much as jailbreaking gives you more options (I used to jailbreak my i-stuff before OS5) I gave up because I was tired of going back from jailbroken to non-jailbroken every time the OS was updated and then having to wait a longer and longer time for a jailbreak to come out. Now it seems to take months after each OS release for an untethered jaillbreak that works on the newer models. Each time there's a jailbreak the loophole used for it is closed and they have to find another. There must be a finite number of such loopholes, getting harder and harder to find before they run out altogether.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

16Gb is more than enough for me, and I use my iPad all the time.
Documents are in Dropbox, music is on my Phone, photos are in Adobe Revel and videos are streamed via AirPlay, Netflix or downloaded through iTunes in the cloud on demand.
I don't read magazines on my iPad, not do I play games on it, so my storage requirements are lower.
The 16GB model exists because there is a big market for it ;)

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
+1. I forgot about magazines, although I usually micromanage those and delete them as I download the new ones.

I guess magazines more focused on photos you will want to store though. For first owners, 16gb may seem enough, but in the future I believe you may regret it. I highly recommend 32gb.

the OP is right...if you subscribe to magazines, they can take up space in a hurry. it's not always the videos and games that are space hogs.

i subscribe to the New Yorker, each issue averages roughly 250+MB each, so 2 months worth of backissues is 2gb. that ~15gb of usable space on the 16gb model suddenly seems even smaller after you start using it a bit.

i've learned long ago to avoid buying the entry level model of anything, esp. when the next step up (the 32gb ipad) was only 20% more. i wound up being surprised at how useful my ipad2 became and was very glad that i bought the 32gb. my next ipad will be at least 64gb.

icloud is so overrrated, especially when you travel. i took my ipad with me on my ski trip - fully loaded with movies and ebooks. the lodgings only have basic a/b/g wireless and on top of that, i started seeing dropped connections (which other 5.01 owners have reported having). streaming a movie from the Net would have been frustrating as heck.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
the OP is right...if you subscribe to magazines, they can take up space in a hurry. it's not always the videos and games that are space hogs.

i subscribe to the New Yorker, each issue averages roughly 250+MB each, so 2 months worth of backissues is 2gb. that ~15gb of usable space on the 16gb model suddenly seems even smaller after you start using it a bit.

i've learned long ago to avoid buying the entry level model of anything, esp. when the next step up (the 32gb ipad) was only 20% more. i wound up being surprised at how useful my ipad2 became and was very glad that i bought the 32gb. my next ipad will be at least 64gb.

icloud is so overrrated, especially when you travel. i took my ipad with me on my ski trip - fully loaded with movies and ebooks. the lodgings only have basic a/b/g wireless and on top of that, i started seeing dropped connections (which other 5.01 owners have reported having). streaming a movie from the Net would have been frustrating as heck.

Kind of off topic but I plan on using the new iPad as a magazine reader. Do they cost the same as at a regular newsstand? And if you delete a magazine, can you download it again a few months if you want to read an older issue again?

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
16gb for what the ipad can do is ridiculous when you consider the nano that can only play music, is available in the same capacity.

This device will never be a post-PC device and stand on its own against laptops/desktops when it has such little capacity.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Kind of off topic but I plan on using the new iPad as a magazine reader. Do they cost the same as at a regular newsstand? And if you delete a magazine, can you download it again a few months if you want to read an older issue again?

pricing between the electronic and the paper version may vary with different magazines/publishers...you'd have to check the rates. when i subscribed to the New Yorker at the time, they were offering the electronic version for free if you got the magazine subscription. since then, they've offered an electronic-only version, difference was something like $10-12.

if you ask me, the publishers ought to be giving a bigger discount on the e-version.

yes, you are able to delete any issue and download it again as long as your subscription is active. at least that's the case with Conde Nast magazines. i can't imagine that it would be any different with the other publishers.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
This is a good question.

If I get the new iPad, it will be my first into the foray...

Now, I was contemplating getting the 32GB iPad only because I initally thought 16GB would be better for my usage with my iPhone 4, only to find out months down the line that it really wasn't enough for me... especially with all the apps and mainly games I download.

But reading through this thread is making me think it would be a different kettle of fish with the iPad, since I don't think it would leave the house much...therefore not needing to keep it stocked of every possible content I own... so then I could save the extra £100 and possibly treat myself to an Apple TV. Hmm... decisions...?!?

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
pricing between the electronic and the paper version may vary with different magazines/publishers...you'd have to check the rates. when i subscribed to the New Yorker at the time, they were offering the electronic version for free if you got the magazine subscription. since then, they've offered an electronic-only version, difference was something like $10-12.

if you ask me, the publishers ought to be giving a bigger discount on the e-version.

yes, you are able to delete any issue and download it again as long as your subscription is active. at least that's the case with Conde Nast magazines. i can't imagine that it would be any different with the other publishers.

Can you store a magazine on a MacBook for archiving? That way if you cancel your subscription and deleted from the iPad, you still have access to a magazine that you bought, kind of the same way we can hold onto print media.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
16gb fine for me and my wife. We both have iPhones and have never filled them and store our files on cloud services. We don't really use it to watch movies/video from the device so it's not an issue for us.

I can see how it would be too limited for movie and music lovers with large libraries.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
For the original iPad, I went with 64GB. For the iPad 2, I went with 32GB. When I travel, I like to take TV and movies with me (GAME OF THRONES!!) so I do find I need to move things around, take stuff off, and so on, so I'll have my desired media with me. And that's with 32GB. 16 would just not be enough storage for me.

But, to make up for that extra 32GB that I gave up, I bought the Seagate GoFlex Satellite wireless hard drive, and now when I need to I can take my entire iTunes video library with me. So, for the latest iPad, I stuck with 32GB.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Here is the bottom line. In a couple years when I'm upgrading to iPad 5, 16GB will be way too small size for people like trying to sell 20GB iPod or PC with 1GB of RAM. Sure, there will be buyers but much smaller market.

No I'm not buying my toys to sell, but with the business model Apple has, I have to pay attention to resale value.

potsofclay

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Ordered my engraved 16gb Wed night. Now it's being shipped.

Read this thread and now I'm regretting my order. I should have gotten the 32gb. Crap. :mad:

Is there any way I can bring the unopened engraved ipad to an Apple store and upgrade it to the 32gb? I know it says that there are no returns or refunds but I want an upgrade. Do they make that distinction? Will I be allowed to do that?

Moze

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
NY
Works for me.

Pretty sure 16GB will be plenty for me.

If I'm traveling, I can easily transfer a movie or two over to my ipad. Anything else, I can stream Netflix, Pandora, Hulu+ over wifi, LTE, or even using unlimited Wimax on my Sprint phone. Large files and archives can be accessible over centralized web storage.

This whole "post-pc" concept isn't about raw power and storage -- my desktop or Alienware M14x would run circles around the iPad in performance. It's (in my opinion) about complete mobility and accessibility... I think this is exactly why 4G was a necessity for me and why the big explosion of everything "cloud-based" will put all media, storage, work files, within an arms reach WITHOUT the need for a ton of local storage.

Sure, those who have 64GB storage have the advantage and comfort of extra space; however, I'm simply stating that I won't need it. And this is coming from a complete power user/gadget geek. I game, love music, watch videos, surf the web excessively, have multiple e-mail accounts, read books and magazines, work from home, the office, and abroad as a UNIX admin.

The sweet new screen, internals bump, and most importantly, stable connectivity to the web is going to make this a highly capable device for all types of users -- even with only 16GB.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
16gb fine for me and my wife. We both have iPhones and have never filled them and store our files on cloud services. We don't really use it to watch movies/video from the device so it's not an issue for us.

I can see how it would be too limited for movie and music lovers with large libraries.

Thats another thing, I never store movies or music on to my iPhone. Strictly apps, games and a fair bit of photos.

Currently I just stream movies/music from my Macbook. Hence why an Apple TV might be better served than spending the extra for a 32GB iPad....

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

Read this thread and now I'm regretting my order. I should have gotten the 32gb. Crap. :mad:

Is there any way I can bring the unopened engraved ipad to an Apple store and upgrade it to the 32gb? I know it says that there are no returns or refunds but I want an upgrade. Do they make that distinction? Will I be allowed to do that?

All is not lost. Read my note above.

SgtP3pp3r

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Honduras

I guess this one is really up to the apple officers that might take your case up, but my guess is they might offer to give you a credit, if you trade yours in, but i'm not sure if it'll be a full refund. I don't think you should have buyers remorse over the 16 Gb, because by all means it will be a great addition for you. I've been using my 16 Gb for the past 8 or 9 months, and it's fit my life wonderfully. But you'll have to pace yourself on storage space.

Among the 200,000 there are some really wonderful apps, and some not so great ones too (in fact, some terrible ones). In the end, like someone before stated, if you do a little micro-management, it will all be good. Just be aware, 16 Gb is too small to give you full PC independence. You'll still have to dock every now and again to manage your space (although, actually, now you can do most of that straight from the iPad... you'll just have to do it more often than a 32 Gb user).

----------

Thats another thing, I never store movies or music on to my iPhone. Strictly apps, games and a fair bit of photos.

Currently I just stream movies/music from my Macbook. Hence why an Apple TV might be better served than spending the extra for a 32GB iPad....

You sir, just helped me regain 2 Gb of the allotted 14 Gb of space. I hadn't really considered carrying my photos on my 32 Gb iPhone as opposed to my 16 Gb iPad.

brbruce0

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012

Why should the publishers being giving a bigger discount on the e-version?

It is true that for the digital copies they don't have to include paper and shipping cost, but when in it comes to the bulk of those two items, they really don't add that much cost to each additional issue that they provide.

Plus when Apple or whoever else distributes the digital verisons of the magazine, those companies take off 30% of the cost for their distribution fee. You also don't have as many ads in the digital verison (which is where most magazines make their money) as the paper copies have.

One more point to make is that a lot more time is spent on creating the digital copy of the magazine to add the interactive features for the magazines

I am looking forward to getting my new iPad, and am getting a little concerned that the 16GB LTE will be a bit small for what I want to use it with.

majomania

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
Jakarta, Indonesia
t

Me too, I try to avoid the entry level.. not that the 16GB is not enough.. but it will be a problem when I will sell it quickly in the next 1 or 2 years..the buyer will prefer the 32 or 64 GB cause it will not have big different in price..maybe only $50-$100.. at least that was my experience in my country..

My ipad 1 is 64G and until now, it never reach 12GB in storage..skip the ipad 2 and will getting the 32GB ipad 3 :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.