Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I don't think that you should have to protect your device from normal use.

Other than the wake & volume buttons, there's only one button on the phone in normal usage - you'd expect it to last, unless 'abused'. Maybe we're just "pushing it wrong". :)

I did have a 2nd hand iPhone 4 before, and after a few months the Home button started failing sporadically. After having it fixed, I got a lecture from the shop staff on how I only need to tap it, not push it in.

I used the Assistive Touch button for a while when it wasn't working, but it got in the way far too much for me.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The home button on my i4 become inconsistent, so I started using assistive touch. I have used it on my i5 out of the box....the 'twice shy' thing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My i5 (out of warr. bought on launch day) power button only works on the far left side for some time now.

I have been tracking that thread re. the issue. It stays powered up until I use it carefully to power it down.

This is an area that the AT option could help me with but no joy using it for power in it down unless I am missing something.
Perhaps this might be of some help (just announced by Apple): https://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/25/iphone-5-sleepwake-replacement/

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Heavy duty cases, screen protectors, and now not even wanting to press the buttons. People should just use and enjoy their devices and not worry so much. Most people upgrade after 2 years anyway. If your phone's parts are worn out after just 2 years of normal use, something is wrong.

iOS7.1

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
I actually do use it, but only out of habit of using android for the last 4 years. I got so used to a virtual home button that physically pressing a home button seems foreign to me now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I actually do use it, but only out of habit of using android for the last 4 years. I got so used to a virtual home button that physically pressing a home button seems foreign to me now.
The difference being a tiny amount of force?

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I started using this trick and seem to like it a lot as a way to save wear and tear on the buttons over time.

I already had a 4s power button crap out on me and get stuck (I'll eventually get a oow replacement once the price drops to $149 this september).

I'd hate for the same thing to happen to my 5s so it's nice to the ability to have virtual buttons for things like home, screenshot, siri, and to lock the screen. Hell, if someone were so inclined they could jailbreak and use the tweak 'virtual home' and never need to press another physical button anymore! :eek:

I've experimented the best place to put the AssistiveTouch button and so far I've found in the top left (right in between the top left icon and 2nd row left icon) is the best for me as it doesn't get in the way of anything or fall on the keyboard when in portrait or landscape.

Anyone else use AssistiveTouch besides me?

(p.s. If you want to try it yourself it's under settings -> general -> accessibility -> assistivetouch)

That's a ridiculous amount of hassle when in the off chance a button does stop working you can just get fixed for cheap. Whatever though.

IVRnJgr

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
I started using this trick and seem to like it a lot as a way to save wear and tear on the buttons over time.

I already had a 4s power button crap out on me and get stuck (I'll eventually get a oow replacement once the price drops to $149 this september).

I'd hate for the same thing to happen to my 5s so it's nice to the ability to have virtual buttons for things like home, screenshot, siri, and to lock the screen. Hell, if someone were so inclined they could jailbreak and use the tweak 'virtual home' and never need to press another physical button anymore! :eek:

I've experimented the best place to put the AssistiveTouch button and so far I've found in the top left (right in between the top left icon and 2nd row left icon) is the best for me as it doesn't get in the way of anything or fall on the keyboard when in portrait or landscape.

Anyone else use AssistiveTouch besides me?

(p.s. If you want to try it yourself it's under settings -> general -> accessibility -> assistivetouch)

When did you buy your 5s?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'd rather use my phone with the buttons as that is what it was designed to do. If the home button or power button wears out within 2 years then for me that is a design issue. I'm a product designer myself so I have never had an issue returning something within a reasonable length of time and an iPhone should realistically last 2 years, or the length of a contract. Apple will tell you that they only offer a 12 month warranty on their devices, but consumers are protected under EU law and this isn't something Apple can side step. It can be a bit of a fight but they usually have to give in on issues such as this.

My wife had an iPhone 4 that had a home button failure after 13 months. They attempted to side step the responsibility but after a brief while and a heated exchange they offered to replace the handset as it was apparently easier than the hassle of sending it off for repair. If you spend the best part of £700+ on an electronic device, then it should last a reasonable amount of time. If a TV and washing machine are covered for 5 years, it shouldn't be an issue expecting a phone to last more than 12 months IMO. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd rather use my phone with the buttons as that is what it was designed to do. If the home button or power button wears out within 2 years then for me that is a design issue. I'm a product designer myself so I have never had an issue returning something within a reasonable length of time and an iPhone should realistically last 2 years, or the length of a contract. Apple will tell you that they only offer a 12 month warranty on their devices, but consumers are protected under EU law and this isn't something Apple can side step. It can be a bit of a fight but they usually have to give in on issues such as this.

My wife had an iPhone 4 that had a home button failure after 13 months. They attempted to side step the responsibility but after a brief while and a heated exchange they offered to replace the handset as it was apparently easier than the hassle of sending it off for repair. If you spend the best part of £700+ on an electronic device, then it should last a reasonable amount of time. If a TV and washing machine are covered for 5 years, it shouldn't be an issue expecting a phone to last more than 12 months IMO. :)
Doesn't cut it in the US unfortunately.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I am astonished at the amount of people here actually agreeing, and saying they too are afraid of using the buttons on their iPhones.

Absolutely bonkers to me.

I mean each to their own, and I could conceive a small percentage of users with a complex, maybe obsessive compulsive disorders, would use their phone in this way, but not the numbers I'm seeing in this thread.

Like I say, whatever keeps you happy, but I've had an iPhone 3GS, an iPhone 4s, an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s, and never has a button malfunctioned.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am astonished at the amount of people here actually agreeing, and saying they too are afraid of using the buttons on their iPhones.

I mean each to their own, and I could conceive a small percentage of users with a complex, maybe obsessive compulsive disorders, would use their phone in this way, but not the numbers I'm seeing in this thread.

Like I say, whatever keeps you happy, but I've had an iPhone 3GS, an iPhone 4s, an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5s, and never has a button malfunctioned.

It tells me that these phones represent a HUGE investment to many of the people here and replacing them would be prohibitive if there were any problem. To some this would be the most expensive thing they own.:rolleyes:

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010

I ran a small eBay search on iPhone models with broken Home/Sleep buttons, and came up with a few results. More specifically, results for iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 5 models with faulty buttons. Results are mixed with miscellaneous, but this could give a clearer indication that, yes, these buttons wear out...rather more occasionally than naught.

Now those other people who use cases, and prefer not to live dangerously with their phone, are just OCD. Who breaks their phone in this day and age anyway? :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It tells me that these phones represent a HUGE investment to many of the people here and replacing them would be prohibitive if there were any problem. To some this would be the most expensive thing they own.:rolleyes:
Sure but in most cases that decreases the usefulness and enjoyment of what they bought. It's like getting a TV and being afraid to use the remote so that the buttons on it don't wear out and constantly go up to the TV to change the volume or the channels. It works bit diminishes the usefulness and enjoyment of it all. If the buttons do wear out then one could use the workaround, otherwise what's the point of using it beforehand to save the buttons that you won't be getting anything useful out of anyway (since you are trying hard to avoid using them)?

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Sure but in most cases that decreases the usefulness and enjoyment of what they bought. It's like getting a TV and being afraid to use the remote so that the buttons on it don't wear out and constantly go up to the TV to change the volume or the channels. It works bit diminishes the usefulness and enjoyment of it all. If the buttons do wear out then one could use the workaround, otherwise what's the point of using it beforehand to save the buttons that you won't be getting anything useful out of anyway (since you are trying hard to avoid using them)?

Resell value and retention is one good reason.

I use Activator on my phone; I could stand Assistive Touch for a while, but it gets in the way a lot of the time. With Activator, it looks discrete, and I feel like it does not diminish the experience much, if any, and without wearing out the buttons. If you like using finger gestures on your iPad and MacBook Pro, think of Activator like that.

I still always have to use the Home button to wake it from sleep, and the Sleep button to power it off completely. It gives me peace of mind that I'm taking preemptive measures in preserving those functions, even if they inevitably fail someday. :cool:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

I agree. My phone is a toll that allows me the freedom to get out of my office and spend time in the field checking up on my employees and my customers. I do not have time to be worrying about conserving a buttons life and deal with multiple calls, emails and texts hourly. If the worst happens and soemthing did stop working, it would be replaced the same day, little choice but also not a big deal. We even keep a spare 5S at the office so we can replace one of our phones 24/7

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

I ran a small eBay search on iPhone models with broken Home/Sleep buttons, and came up with a few results. More specifically, results for iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 5 models with faulty buttons. Results are mixed with miscellaneous, but this could give a clearer indication that, yes, these buttons wear out...rather more occasionally than naught.

Now those other people who use cases, and prefer not to live dangerously with their phone, are just OCD. Who breaks their phone in this day and age anyway? :p

I'm not saying there isn't truth behind the thought that physical buttons can break overtime, and I realise iPhones are a huge investment to some people.

But I'm just shocked at the numbers here, for something that I consider, or would have considered, to be a very fringe case of user.

I only say this because these buttons are designed to be used, they are integral to the phones design and useability, and to purposefully 'work around' using them only diminishes to user experience, on the off chance they might break.

Why not only use it in emergencies because the LCD has only a certain number of hours in its lifespan? Or never use the loud speaker on a decent volume because it could blow out?

I don't mean to make light of people who live in fear or their device breaking, but it really surprises me that so many people go to such extremes.

We're all individuals, and there isn't a right or wrong way to use your phone, so I'm not judging, you gotta do what makes you happy. It just surprised me was all. :)

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I'm not saying there isn't truth behind the thought that physical buttons can break overtime, and I realise iPhones are a huge investment to some people.

But I'm just shocked at the numbers here, for something that I consider, or would have considered, to be a very fringe case of user.

I only say this because these buttons are designed to be used, they are integral to the phones design and useability, and to purposefully 'work around' using them only diminishes to user experience, on the off chance they might break.

Why not only use it in emergencies because the LCD has only a certain number of hours in its lifespan? Or never use the loud speaker on a decent volume because it could blow out?

I don't mean to make light of people who live in fear or their device breaking, but it really surprises me that so many people go to such extremes.

We're all individuals, and there isn't a right or wrong way to use your phone, so I'm not judging, you gotta do what makes you happy. It just surprised me was all. :)

I see your point, and I absolutely understand. Let me put it this way; there is a certain car forum that I frequent (more or less, lurk) from time to time, and I read about people keeping their car (Camaro) garaged over Winter, going through extremes to keep it out of the road from snow (which equates to salted roads...) and rain. While I shake my head at those practices... because it's a car ... and I believe this car is built to be driven through such extremes... I can't help but find myself under the same scrutinous argument with Apple products; given, a car is a far more expensive instrument (a poor investment, if it is).

Except, in this circumstance, I just think Apple could've built the physical buttons to be more durable, and, in my opinion, sacrificed durability for their continuing quest for thinness. But that's just me. :)

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
What is the point of preserving them if they aren't going to be used? ;)

This.

The 5/5S has a much more resilient home button with metal clips. Ive yet to know one that went soft like a 4/4S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.