Does anyone else use AssistiveTouch to save wear and tear on their iPhone buttons?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by easy-peasy, Apr 5, 2014.

1. easy-peasy macrumors regular

I started using this trick and seem to like it a lot as a way to save wear and tear on the buttons over time.

I already had a 4s power button crap out on me and get stuck (I'll eventually get a oow replacement once the price drops to $149 this september).

I'd hate for the same thing to happen to my 5s so it's nice to the ability to have virtual buttons for things like home, screenshot, siri, and to lock the screen. Hell, if someone were so inclined they could jailbreak and use the tweak 'virtual home' and never need to press another physical button anymore! :eek:

I've experimented the best place to put the AssistiveTouch button and so far I've found in the top left (right in between the top left icon and 2nd row left icon) is the best for me as it doesn't get in the way of anything or fall on the keyboard when in portrait or landscape.

Anyone else use AssistiveTouch besides me?

(p.s. If you want to try it yourself it's under settings -> general -> accessibility -> assistivetouch)

2. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

A lot of my friend's do out of wear and tear anxiety because their previous iPhones had non-functional buttons in some part of their lives. When you think about it, it's really stupid to not use the buttons that are actually there to be used. On the other hand some actually defend it is easier to use assistive touch and eliminate buttons. I use it on my 2.5 year old 4S for the lock button, despite the button being functional still when you press it "really" hard. (it's flush against the body) It's easier to use assistive touch than grab the iPhone solidly and press really tough on the lock button.

3. easy-peasy thread starter macrumors regular

I think it's pretty smart to protect an expensive electronic from something that could easily break it, almost just like using a case to protect the phone from getting its screen cracked from a fall.

I could understand not using AssistiveTouch if the iPhone had more resilient buttons, but for me I've learned the lesson from my 4s and now try to preserve my buttons as long as I can :)

4. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

That is the exact reason my friends use it as well. As they say; once burnt twice shy. We'll see if I use it or not when I upgrade to 6.

5. BreeeZe macrumors member

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Never had a problem, but I use it for that reason.

7. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

No don't use it and I'm not too worked about it either.

8. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

9. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

I use Auxo 2 app switcher tweak so I wont have to press the home button anymore. Works great.

10. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I use the Virtual Home tweak on the 5s for the same reason as the OP. I don't remember the last time I clicked the home button.

11. sammy-boy macrumors regular

I did for a while but found it a bit cumbersome, so don't any more. I do worry about wearing the home button out but think the 4s buttons improved as it's a different design to the failure-prone home button on the 4. Feel more confident using it.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Never use it and never worry about burning out my buttons.

Only in the iPhone forum:p

13. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

No. I have owned 2 different iPhones and neither have had issues with the lock button. I did know someone though that did get their lock button stuck on a iPhone 4. They later replaced with an iPhone 5.

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Some of my friends do, but I personally don't. That's what Applecare+ is for. :D

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

A few of my friends do it. I'm not worried about it breaking. If it does, then oh well. I'll wait until it actually breaks before I use it.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I don't think that you should have to protect your device from normal use.

17. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

18. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

This exactly

19. kaielement macrumors 65816

I have never used assitive touch and never needed to lol. I would only use it if I had a bottom go out and I was to lazy to fix it.

20. Adonys macrumors regular

I use assistive touch. it was cumbersome at first but you'll get use to it.

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Personally I've never had a button fail, but if it did I'd either repair it myself or have it repaired under warranty. I don't like the idea of not being able to use my device the way it was intended to be used.

22. Camoxide macrumors regular

Not hard to replace the button on the 5,5C and 5S so there's not really any point in doing that.

23. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

What is the point of preserving them if they aren't going to be used? ;)

25. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

I don't use it. I've also never had a problem with my buttons dying on me.