Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have NOT read the entire 100 page thread, but the screen on my iPad is virtually flawless as far as I can tell. And if you look at my handle, you'll realize image quality is important to me.

calvin2006

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
My screen is as perfect as can be expected in a fallen world. I have had no discolorations, bleeding, dead pixels, fading, or anything else problematic. It's amazing.

alana22

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Seattle
Without reading the whole thread. Every screen should be perfect.

It's magical after all.

Haha love it.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that some in this thread would see a screen as perfect while others on here would see that same screen as having backlight bleed. It's all what you can convince yourself of, and I'm convinced this thread is absolutely silly!

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
It sounds like you already are.

I'll never understand why people look for things that are wrong.

It's an iPad. It's not your soulmate. It's not even yours for life. In a year or so you know you're going to dump it for the newest model.

Enjoy your purchase. You deserve it. Stop trying to find things wrong with it.

10+

Your post should me a sticky!

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Well I thought I had a perfect screen but today I noticed I have developed a bright spot. A 1/4 inch bright blur that I believe is caused by the reflector some how. It is very annoying now that I know where it is. I think it is going to have to be replaced but with the shortage of 3g units that may be a problem.
I'm not sure how I am going to get the ATT and mobile me accounts get set to switch over to a new iPad.

:(

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Well I thought I had a perfect screen but today I noticed I have developed a bright spot. A 1/4 inch bright blur that I believe is caused by the reflector some how. It is very annoying now that I know where it is. I think it is going to have to be re3placed but with the shortage of 3g units that may be a problem.
I'm not sure how I am going to get the ATT and mobile me accounts get set to switch over to a new iPad.

:(

Is the problem you're having only visible on white screens? If so, then it's a problem with the panel reflector pushing through. This was a common problem with the early Macbook Pros after prolonged use.

I've learned from personal experience to get it exchanged/serviced quickly. It has a habit of spreading.

DrSamS

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
50% brightness is an extreme level? Really?

OK, I turned up my brightness to 100%. Way too bright. I normally keep mine at the 45% to 50% level.

Even at 100% I did not see the bleeding you have.

I use my iPad to read books, play videos, and games. I find that 50% is more than enough. Over 50% starts to give me a headache.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Is the problem you're having only visible on white screens? If so, then it's a problem with the panel reflector pushing through. This was a common problem with the early Macbook Pros after prolonged use.

I've learned from personal experience to get it exchanged/serviced quickly. It has a habit of spreading.

It is most visible with a white screen but it is faintly there with each color, it's a white screen that makes if stand out like a flashlight.
Yea I had the same problem with a Dell XPS LED screen. I had it replaced once under warranty and that died too with multiple spots.. It seems to have been the poor quality ChiMei screen supplier. I hope Apple is not using them. I'm gonna have to get it replaced and worry about getting one with dead pixels. I hope I get a new one and not a refurb.

ibebyi

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
this may seem a little strange. But I have to admit i was on the fence about getting my 64 gb WIFI ipad replaced due to moderate bleeding. However, after reading all the posts on both sides of the argument, I'm really not caring anymore, as the iPad is still probably one of the coolest things I own. :D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
this may seem a little strange. But I have to admit i was on the fence about getting my 64 gb WIFI ipad replaced due to moderate bleeding. However, after reading all the posts on both sides of the argument, I'm really not caring anymore, as the iPad is still probably one of the coolest things I own. :D

You'll find that most, if not all, iPads have some bleeding. A small amount in the black areas are going to be fairly obvious at night or with low ambient light, but really... just typical for LCDs.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I have NOT read the entire 100 page thread, but the screen on my iPad is virtually flawless as far as I can tell. And if you look at my handle, you'll realize image quality is important to me.

Nice handle!!!

Like mine?

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I have light bleed but it doesn't bother me a bit. It doesn't bother me because I don't just look at a black screen all day.

Do we really need to have thread about this?

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Oh so that's what backlight bleed is, gosh dumb a$$ me thought all these people worldwide were having light showing from the cracks around the screen! lol! Never noticed it myself what you described but if I had then i'd have put it down to being a backlit screen and put up with it, i hardly if ever look at a black screen in the dark - what's the point it's already dark why'd you need to look at a black screen, just enjoy your new shiny and chill, you cannot expect a mass produced item to be perfect in everyone's eyes, as some people have said it's all in the eye of the beholder, if you want a perfect one for you ring Mr Jobs and ask to supervise and inspect the build of your iPad/iPhone etc but i'd expect it to cost ya more than several iPads

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
After all the comparisons I have done I have no backlight bleeding, no dead pixels, no dust and no scratches and the screen is pure white, no colour temperature issues even with max brightness on a pure white background (blank web page no keyboard) - this is the best screen I have seen in my life and an IPS panel too, and colour reproduction is amazing - makes AMOLED look poor in comparison.

iphonetic

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Friend's iPad had two specs of noticeable dust pieces under glass, had it replaced and all is well.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
I'll just necrobump this here.

Looks like we've got till about June before this dies down, then we can look forward to a repeat performance next year for iPad 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.