Does anyone have an iPhone 5s that doesn't rattle?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cstm, Nov 12, 2013.

1. cstm macrumors regular

Got my iphone 5s and the power button is loose.

The rattling is indeed pretty intrusive if you record video.

Here's what I'm talking about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNAu626qYIQ

Does anyone have a iphone 5s that doesn't rattle? Should I order a new one in a few weeks or just wait for iphone 6?

2. dave420, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

dave420 macrumors 65816

My 5s does not rattle.

Edit: This post has been on the front page off and on since November. My iPhone 5s does rattle in similar circumstances to the post above. For me the post above wasn't descriptive as to what was happening without watching the video.

3. mirz2000 macrumors regular

Hm, I haven't noticed mine rattle, but my case covers the buttons, so it may be suppressing any rattle. Are you using a case on your phone?

4. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Mine does it too if it is shaken, and when recording a video you can hear it. But my iPhone 5 does the same thing. I'm going to just keep the one I have and swap it for the issue at the Genius Bar a few months from now when the replacement stock has possibly fixed the issue.

5. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

My 5S does not rattle at all and that's without a case.

6. gCloud macrumors 6502a

7. duaneu macrumors 6502a

8. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Everything made after the iPhone 3GS has a rattle sound.

iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 5C, etc...

9. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Wrong wrong wrong.

10. jaminphx macrumors newbie

11. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

No rattle here. It's usually in Apple case but I specifically took the case off to test for rattle. Pleased to say, no rattle for me.

12. tkao2025 macrumors regular

Mine rattles. I went to the Apple store today and checked all the phones. Most rattled and some had very faint rattles. I think I'll just keep it since it doesn't bother me and I have Apple Care+. As long as video recording is not affected I'm not going to care too much.

13. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Mine doesn't, launch day space grey 32gb from the UK.

14. rich32gb5s macrumors regular

My 4s doesn't now but im sure it used to. Certainly the mute button had a rattle to begin with I think. Once the rubber case is on , all buttons are held in tight.

15. Prophet2271 macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 Rattle

My iphone 5 does rattle in and out of a case. Its the two volume buttons. You kinda have to shake it pretty hard though.

However to get it to come accross in a video recording you have to shake it really really hard and vigrously. Doing that you can even watch the video. Its like camera shake used in movies on Acid! lol :D

I have used it in my car mount with video recoding and I get no rattle.

Btw have you tried it out of the car mount? just in case its the mount making the rattle?

16. AppleB macrumors 6502

AppleB

17. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

If I hold my iPhone 5s close to my ear and shake it back and forth I can hear a little rattle.

18. cstm thread starter macrumors regular

since so many people seem to have a 5S that doesn't rattle, I think I'm gonna return mine and try my luck with a new one in a few weeks.

19. jefferent macrumors newbie

Mine rattles

Iphone 5s 64Gb

Launch day phone

Australia

20. Ann P macrumors 68020

My 5 and 5S both rattled due to loose power buttons, although not as loud like the one in the vid.

21. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

Like every iphone 5s rattles, it's no big deal. I've had 3 and all of them rattled.

22. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

I believe all the previous iphones from the 4 onwards have a slight rattle due to the lens on the camera. It is very quiet and is more noticeable if you tap it lightly.

It's nothing to worry about btw.

23. joeluken, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

joeluken macrumors member

My first two 5S units had the annoying power button rattle. Even rattled when the Apple leather case is on.

This is not the same as tapping the phone and hearing an internal mechanism i.e. camera or vibrate motor. It's a loose power button as if the spring below it is missing or too weak to push the button against the top of the case with enough pressure.

Returned the first two units for refund and now awaiting a third unit. My earlier iphones such as the one I'm currently using don't rattle so it does seem to be a bit of a 5s manufacturing/QA lottery and down to want people find acceptable on a premium product.

Spoke with an Apple Support supervisor and the advice was just keep returning the unit for a refund and reorder until I'm satisfied with the build quality. He also requested that I report the issue here - http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

24. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Not every 5s, i had one with a firm power button that did NOT rattle.