Does anyone here hate the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppleFan360, Dec 29, 2010.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Just curious if anyone here got the iPad then took it back and purchased a different tablet.

Yeah, I know. Why would former iPad owners be here? I'm sure there are a few of you hanging around. :)

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am far from hating it but do hate Apple for not letting it be what it could have been! They need to cut the umbilical with iTunes unless you choose to use it and give us a SD slot! I would also like to be able to set up file folders and keep Word and Excel files on my device. I use Drop Box but it is not the same. All this memory and nothing to do with it!

I do like it for entertainment but that is about the best I can hope for.

3. poloponies Suspended

Plenty of people here bitching about the iPad. Most of them don't own one, they just bitch.

4. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I just hate that me and my family love it and have come to depend on it so much.

I know a person that got a Galaxy Tab. He never tried out the iPad. He's an Apple hater and refused to get an iPad. I don't know if that counts.

5. knarzie macrumors regular

I don't hate it, but I expected to love it much more. Got it for my birthday in July, and since than it has been pretty much used by my 3 year old 80% of the time. When I stand it up (got one of those leather cases) it's uncomfortable to type for my wrists, when I lay it down it hurts my neck after 20 mins of browsing the web. Safari is always considerably slower than on my macbook. I also have 5+ tabs open which is also considerably easier on the macbook. I am yet to embrace itunes downloads. It's excellent for toddler apps, but I have not grown to love it.

6. rezatayebi macrumors regular

I really hated the iPad and it's limitations. So I was planning to get a Galaxy Tab, but as soon as I tried one, I realized it's even worse than the iPad. So between the bad and the worse, I bought the bad one, iPad.
    Although I have to admit I'm starting to fall in love with the iPad.

7. poloponies Suspended

I don't really get the "I wanted it to do more" complaints. Of course we want everything we own to do more but it's not as if you were sold some blind item. I'm neither wealthy nor poor but before I drop nearly $1,000 on something I do a little bit of due diligence. I bought mine on the day the 3G was released and I already had a good sense of what it could and couldn't do so the "but it can't do...." posts seem a bit misguided.

8. Winni, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010

Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I guess I can raise my hand here. I bought the iPad, played with it for some days, found that it absolutely sucked at everything that I wanted to do with it (read eBooks, especially in bright daylight, watch movies, surf the web, write emails, WRITE, use it for remote administration of my server farm at work), and then I returned it to Apple. I own a Kindle now. While you cannot compare a Kindle with an iPad - one is a pure eBook reader, the other pretends to be a multi-purpose device - the Kindle does not suck at the one thing it was made for: Being an eBook reader.

The iPad's display is a nightmare in bright daylight, the on-screen-"keyboard" is the worst thing imaginable for writing, and iOS is too restricted to be a truly useful platform for real world use. Also, the iPad's hardware is too weak for even playing back movie rips without stuttering or dropping frames.

The only thing that was nice on it was playing Plants vs Zombies or Shredder Chess. And even here, I must say, I prefer my iPhone.

I might take another look at the iPad when it's grown up. But by that time, the competition will have released a series of devices with real operating systems that do not suffer from Apple's Walled Garden syndrome. And that Walled Garden will eventually be the iPad's worst enemy.

Anyway. I don't hate the iPad. I just think that it is a really useless toy.

There are too many things that you can only find out once you own and use the device for more than a few minutes in a shop. Usually, you grant an Apple device the benefit of the doubt, like, for example, "I probably get used to the on screen keyboard after a couple of days". But then you discover that you don't, and then you realize that the device doesn't cut it for you.

You are also misled by Apple to believe that Pages for iPad is a real word processor, and then you use it and find out that it is just something like the Wordpad accessory for Windows.

Apple also tries to tell you that you don't need Java or Flash for a real web browsing experience. Well, they obviously don't expect their users to connect their iPads to a corporate Intranet, video surveillance servers or any of the gazillion of online games or video websites on the Internet.

Apple also tells you that you can watch movies on the iPad. Well, not ONE of dozens of rips that I have on my hard disk played without frame drops on the iPad, and I tried almost all available (pay-for) video players from the AppStore.

Then the damn thing is just too heavy to really use it as an eBook reader in bed. Compare it with a Kindle and then honestly tell me what you prefer for reading a novel.

None of this can really be found out by reading hyped reviews or by playing with the thing in a store. You have to own the gadget for a couple of days to get there. And on the fourth day, I couldn't come up with anymore excuses for owning a useless electronic gadget and returned it.

9. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

My Dad hated it, he kept calling it the 'WhyPad' when I got one, till I bought him one for Christmas, now he cant put it down.

10. poloponies Suspended

Wow, four days. It's pretty much my go-to device (and it serves 100% of my wife's computing needs, she has hers with her 24/7).

The dropped frames thing makes no sense to me. You were either doing something wrong in your 96-hour (minus sleep time) trial or there was some other error.

As for weight, I have no answer for you, you clearly found it to be too heavy, I read books on my for 1-2 hours a day, every day.

None of the other issues could have been surprises. "No Flash" was the hue and cry of the naysayers from day 1. As for typing on an on-screen keyboard - it's everything I would expect typing on an on-screen keyboard to be. It's not a real keyboard. It's "on screen." That's why they call it "on-screen."

To each his/her own.

11. andyroochoo, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010

andyroochoo macrumors member

what rubbish

so your dad hates a 500 dollar device and you go out and buy him one.

12. Carl G35c, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010

Carl G35c macrumors 6502

or just a great son or daughter who knows their dad will love it :confused:

13. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

How can I put this:

I Love the iPad as a piece of technology.

I Love what is CAN do.

I Hate the fact that it's in the hands of Apple as I'm sure it has the potential to be so much more as time goes on.

I Hate the fact that it will be held back by Apple and stopped from being something it could be as Apple thinks it's customers in general are dim and cannot manage anything more, how shall I put this, more flexible.

I Hate the fact that in time other tablets that are not made as well or have the same library of software will probably offer more independence than Apple will allow the iPad to have.

That's why I am Frustrated.

It's like now that Apple have made it, I'd like them to give it to someone else to enhance.

A love hate relationship.

This is what frustrates me with Apple and why I cannot buy an iMac.
    I want Apple to put as much into the technology side as it does the design side. And not hold back and deny technology to it's customers.

Whilst THAT MAN is around, this will never change as it's more about what he personally feels is right.

It's such a shame, as it could be so much more.

14. wirelessmacuser, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

My original iPad was OK.

I don't hate, but there are some aspects I strongly dislike, one of which is how high the trees surrounding Apple's "walled garden" are growing.

Further locking down the already closed eco system even tighter, is not my idea of a fun time. As a long time Apple enthusiast, they are making it much harder to "like" them.

I enjoyed my iPad for what it is, a limited use device. Selling it just in time before the current rumors became front page news, it fetched a price higher than I expected. Just goes to show you what Apples true skill is... marketing.

Now I'm ready for version 2.0, once again I have no expectations but rather I look at it as another amusing chapter in the continuing saga of Apple, the consumer electronics company.

Over a decade ago I would have never guessed they would become the type of mainstream company they are. But considering it bailed them out of near death, they're lucky they headed in that direction.

There's always money to be made when you sell your products in WallyWorld.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I will buy iPad 2 when it comes out. It is still a great device and will continue to use it till something better comes along. There is lots on the way!

16. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I got my iPad the day it came out, and I love it.

However, I hate that Apple made the greedy decision to only put 256mb of ram in it, and then release the iPhone 4 a couple months later with 512mb of ram.

Of course they'll release the new iPad in the spring with 512mb of ram.

17. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

Just curious, what app did you use to remote to your server farm?

18. emmawu macrumors 6502

19. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

As I say, for me, it's a sort of weird love/hate thing. It's hard to describe.

I'm trying to think how best to put into words in a clearer way, but I can't.

It's Frustration I suppose in that I know Apple will hold it back for corporate reasons and I suppose this is what makes me frustrated. It's like knowing something with only a few changes could be so much better.

And of course, made all the worse knowing there are people around who will say Apple did the correct thing no matter what they do.

I suppose the orientation lock change in a prime example. So many people have complained about this. All because a certain person thinks buttons on a tablet should be the same as buttons on a mobile phone.
    Is it because Apple users are thought of as too dim to work it out? I don't think they are.

All I want it for it to be made better and better and better and not held back due to people not deeming it should be able to do certain things.

As I say, Frustration, perhaps not NOW, but for the future.

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

I don't particularly hate the iPad. While the device has many limitations, I was smart enough to do my research and purchased it based on my needs - which simply aren't affected by lack of flash or usb port and so on. Others, my co-workers or even my father, hate the device for numerous reasons:
    1. They don't own it so they complain how it won't last with the competition (I am sure we will all agree on how different the iPad feels once you start using it).
    2. Due to it's looks, "it is simply a big iPod Touch." While it may be true, the productivity of the iPad is at a much higher scale than the iPod. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to read PDF's or take notes with ease on the iPod.

Thus, for those who are on the verge of purchasing an iPad but don't know if you should, consider researching on the apps available for it, the current limitations it has, and your need from a portable mobile tablet.

21. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

at first I loved it.

then I sort of hated it (hate is a strong word, more like I fell out of love for a bit)

then i got good at using the device, got a bunch of very useful and/or fun apps, and now I am back to loving it again...and i think the love is a lasting type of love this time around...:)

22. knarzie macrumors regular

I definitely think that I would enjoy it more if I spent more time finding apps that are useful for me, but it's just not happening.

23. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Everyone is biased, I'm no different. I think I put my iPad through more paces than most users would have, even had my development team (I own my own business) spend almost five months x 4 developers full time on developing a custom iPad app to use in our business. It worked, I got my moneys' worth out of it and then some, and we will still use iPads in our business setting. But in that setting, we are using the iPad's effectively as standalone, wireless high-resolution monitors....not as iPads. We've even removed every stock app that ships with the iPad and turned off some of the native gestures. Its actually quite disappointing that Apple doesn't license the iPad/iOS as a VAR type of device as we have to go through MAJOR hoops and workarounds to get it do what it can do natively....but Apple won't authorize you to do it "that way." They only understand the consumer "walled garden done OUR way" business and have no concept of how to support their device any other way.

For that reason, I no longer have a personal iPad in my home. We have several eReaders but no other full "tablet computing devices" like the iPad. For me, I just found that almost everything I wanted to do could be done better by a different machine. Email and surfing the web...just about any laptop in the house would do a better job than the iPad. Watching TV/Movies....I have my ginormous plasma and LCD rigs at home, and my iPhone is more than sufficient for watching an episode of a TV show. Netflix was a time sink for me personally, but when we do use it we have better devices to use it with than the iPad. Games were OK on the iPad (Angry Birds) but when I do game, I prefer FPS oriented games and the iPad's lack of real buttons just ruined that for me.

In short, the iPad was a jack of all trades/master of none kind of device for me. Once the novelty and "lets see if it can do X" factor wore off, there wasn't anything left to draw me towards it. Like I said, we'll continue to use it in a business environment, albeit in a single-purpose role. I won't send my sales team out into the field with just iPads as I want them to do real work when out with clients and the iPad just can't cut it. But for the purposes we have its still got a certain sex appeal that draws my customers into the fold. In fact, we typically give our customers an iPad when they sign the contract (we capture their signature on the contract electronically right on the device...another custom app) and then hand them a new one still in the box as a thank you gift where their ethics policies allow for such gifts. Its been far better received than handing them a custom Big Bertha driver.

24. Built macrumors 68020

I love my iPad and wouldn't go anywhere without it.