Does anyone here still use their MBP in bed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Misskitty, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

This is what everyone use to do in 2011 and prior before tablets really became mainsteam. Just wondering if anyone here still uses their MBP in bed and what advantages you like over a tablet, other than the keyboard.

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

I still use my MacBook Air to write essays in my bed or use MS Excel as well as to watch YouTube flash videos. Not all of YouTube videos are available on their app version. I also prefer the full version of Facebook and websites with Flash so that's another reason. I use my tablet for quick email updates and light browsing or gaming. All in all, I use them 50 - 50 but I tend to use my Air to get my school work done.

3. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

I use my 13" rMBP strictly while lying down. Been using a 13" Air and 15" rMBP in the past. I simply place it on a pillow on my chest while I'm typing, like I am doing now :D. I have BSE full body skin and even installed the cutouts for the black rubber feet having the laptop covered. I found the 15" a bit bulky and cumbersome.

I have an iPad but I rarely use it. I just like browsing the net using a trackpad rather than a small touchscreen on the iPad.

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Never. My bed is futon-style with no backboard, ergonomically horrible for computers, I use iPad on hoverbar in bed, so I can lay on my left side and type, as I'm doing now, with right hand, and the iPad is safe.

5. Beezy253, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013

Beezy253 macrumors 6502

I used my 2009 MBP in bed all the time (laying on my back with the MBP on my stomach/chest)... but since upgrading to a Haswell rMBP, I've been trying not to use it in bed (while laying on my back).

I bought a cheap stand from Walmart for $7.
    I try to sit on the edge of my bed as much as I can, or when laying on my side, I type with my arm off the side of the bed... if that makes sense.

This stand/tv "tray" is perfect!
    Small, Light, Compact, but still the perfect height:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Tray-Table-Walnut/17134032

6. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I use my laptop in bed 95% of the time. I have no desire for an iPad. I multitask constantly, so I always want ten zillion windows open at once.

7. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I've been using my 13" in bed for years. (that sounded weird ;))

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I use my MacBook Air in bed. it lies on my stomach, unlike an iPad which needs to be held up. And the 2013s run cool enough that it isn't uncomfortable.

9. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Everyone? Really?

And why specifically 2011? I guess 2008 just wasn't a good year to bring your MBP into bed for some nightly reading.

10. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I don't have an iPad, and I never sit at my desk to study. I actually have my MagSafe set up so it reaches my bed. It's probably not the best setup for writing papers and researching, but it works. It's pretty awesome for Netflix! I don't use a stand or anything. Probably why my old 2009 MBP was always running hot :rolleyes:.

If I had a tablet I might use it for Netflix and social media, but I think I'd still do my homework on my bed. My desk is kind of a dumping ground for random paper, and my chair is pretty uncomfortable. I don't really think my habits will change after I graduate in a few months.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, I do use my 15" MBP in bed, although it's not a regular occurrence. I don't own a tablet (I sold mine a couple of months ago because I'd rarely use it, and I haven't missed it since).

12. Eithanius macrumors 65816

2010 15" MBP on bed, whenever my fat ass is too lazy to be sitting on a couch... Imagine all the computing power you need on your bed... :eek::eek:

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sure, it has more appropriate stereo speakers, stands itself up, and actually runs real programs.

14. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

I only ever use my iPad in bed, never my rMBP.

15. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Yep, frequently. Advantages to me over my iPad Mini:

1) Keyboard! (I know you said "other than..." but this is #1 for me, thus I couldn't not mention it.)
    2) Larger screen
    3) Access to all my files, etc.
    4).... Keyboard :D

But then I bought the iPad more for a car mapping and travel app device, not for everyday communication/projects.

16. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502

What stand do you use? One reason i stopped doing this, or a lotless over the past year is cause i was told it will kill your laptop internals running it on bedsheets, fabric, even your own clothes.

I used to put it on a binder but it was a pain to lug a huge binder each time to bed.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not everyone, I never used my laptop in bed, and I still don't :)

I think the reason why you see a decrease in such behavior is what they were using it for. Mostly surfing (I presume) and so now the tablet does that better in that specific example. I rather use a tablet to surf the web in bed then lug my laptop on the bed.

18. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Since the iPad landed it's never been on the bed.

Word of warning to bed users of MBP's - the loose cotton fibres on duvet covers gets easily sucked up into the unibodies and does a good job in blocking the heatpipes which the fans blow through. Having cats and dogs on the bed will compound the problem. Running it on a dinner tray does alleviate the problem somewhat.

How do I know? I've had to clean clients fans out before they have overheated but there have been cases of 'too late, it's done the logic board'

19. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Am I a freak for going to bed without an iPhone, iPad or MBP? My wife is pretty tolerant but I don't think a MBP in bed would go down well. There's a place and time to switch off devices.

20. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

21. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Using my 13-inch rMBP in bed right now. But I couldn't imagine doing that with the 15-inch. I also have an iPad, but sometimes I like to use the Mac.

22. Stunned Monkey macrumors regular

Advantages? Like being able to run multiple real applications as opposed the "Fisher-Price" apps? People who claim that an iPad can replace their laptop must not have been doing much on their laptop in the first place.

23. undesign macrumors regular

I'm working in bed right now on a 17". I couldn't imagine using a 13" puny sized screen.

24. walkie macrumors 6502

Yes, I used to use my iPad in my bed, but since I bought my rMBP now I use my rMBP 70% of the time in bed and the iPad 30%.

25. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Yep. That is what my 13" MBP is for. With a tablet, I don't think I could be able to surf the web and skype at the same time. Plus, I rest the MBP on my chest.