Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hwall

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
I'd prefer it if the drives space were used for something else its old hat now.
I don’t know why people are arguing so much about having to carry an external drive around, last I checked it was barely bigger than three disks in their cases, if you can carry the blank media surely there is room for the drive? If you need it that much you will find some way to carry it.
Allot of professionals me included would be happy to lose it in favour of some more grunt not for gaming. Cs5 taxes my mac pro let alone my mbp 15 i7.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2010
United States
One last post before we get on the bus for the next location. One of the other editors here just read some of these comments and made a statement to the effect that one of the problems Apple is creating, is they take into account the opinions and uses of the "pro" machines, by people who never use any of apples "pro" apps on a daily basis.

As elitist as that sounds, the "pro" machines where always made for a niche market of pro users. Hence the "pro" designation. Most of the people complaining about removing capabilities of the macbook pro have never opened Final Cut, or Logic with a client over their shoulder, and really should be complaining to buff the macbooks, and AIRs.

Anyhow didn't mean to come off as insulting (too much :) ) but many of us depend of these machines for our livelihood, and they are the best machines to do so. We would just like them to stay so and not cater to people who should really be using something else but want to look cool.

Well said. Changed my way of thinking, for the moment. ;)

sivosam

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
One last post before we get on the bus for the next location. One of the other editors here just read some of these comments and made a statement to the effect that one of the problems Apple is creating, is they take into account the opinions and uses of the "pro" machines, by people who never use any of apples "pro" apps on a daily basis.

As elitist as that sounds, the "pro" machines where always made for a niche market of pro users. Hence the "pro" designation. Most of the people complaining about removing capabilities of the macbook pro have never opened Final Cut, or Logic with a client over their shoulder, and really should be complaining to buff the macbooks, and AIRs.

Anyhow didn't mean to come off as insulting (too much :) ) but many of us depend of these machines for our livelihood, and they are the best machines to do so. We would just like them to stay so and not cater to people who should really be using something else but want to look cool.

No. I can go and buy maxed out MBP from Apple and only play solitaire on it and I have exactly the same right to tell Apple what updates I want and what I want to see dropped. The term "pro" is merely a marketing term, Apple listens the majority of the market, not the "pro" people if they are the minority of the market.
I have exactly same rights to go and buy MBP, no matter what my use for it is, as the "professional" user has. Macbook Pros aren't really anything so unique that you would lose your job if Apple changes it to the majoritys liking. If I want to buy MBP just to "look cool" that's my own business and you can't tell me to buy anything else whether you like it or not.

I don't have any statistics, but I would bet that majority of MBP owners are not people who you would call "pro" users, thus, we'll see changes to the direction of what these people like, not the "pro" users.

Oh and by the way, external optical drives tend to be better than the cheap internal one on the MBP.

Excuse my grammar.

bensnowden

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
The App Store has been released for over 4 hours now...

And a cd isnt a dead media, look how much music is sold via cd...Wal-Mart, FYE, Target, and K-Mart just to name a few locals. What about car stereos? Are we supposed to haul our ipods around everywhere to have music in the car? Many cars from factory have a Double-Din setup which supports ONLY cd...few support an AUX input let alone a USB input and a Double-Din radio is very expensive plus they arent the easiest thing to replace in a car. And im sure you think AM/FM radio is dead too.

Most new cars in the UK have audio inputs. The cars I own come with iPod connectivity as standard. AM/FM radio is close to being dead in the UK, all analogue radio signals are being migrated in 2015. I've already adopted digital radio. Apple's about pushing the boundaries of the future, not hanging onto the past.

size100

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010

MBP13 being gimp and using 5 year old cpu architecture doesn't really have much to do with an optical drive. There are very few people who make CDs on the go no matter how 'pro' their job is. There are lots of ways to share things that don't involve handing out CDs. Its more of a specific job that requires it and isn't really the norm. Most of the 'pro' apps things take twice as long on a mbp13 anyways. They should really take it off the name until they upgrade to new technology.

It would be a pain for people to carry a cd drive around, maybe not as bad as you think though. But, its something for the minority not the majority. Not something for the 'pro' users, just the minority. Most people have a case for their laptop and they could just throw it in.

To bad they hate bluray because most of us have our movie collection on bluray now anyways. Blurays are just one thing you cant do on a MBP and they are the only ones that are really annoying to rip.

Last edited:

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Looks like I'm in the minority then. I actually prefer my drive internal as I do use it very frequently both personally and professionally... less fannying around and tidier, more desk space available (a premium in London), less to forget at home/office, stops my colleagues (or dodgy cleaners) from stealing/borrowing it all the time, slightly more bag space available, doesn't tie up one of my precious ports etc.

I do hear what some of you guys are saying, especially in the case with the 13" and its space issues but was just curious on why so many people want the ODD external gone? For heavy duty stuff, our guys all use their Mac Pro's or iMacs because of the extra beef and real estate? Frankly I don't care much for gamers as they could easily go for a more suitably spunked-up Windoze notebook (no offence you gamers or Windoze users).

For Apple, its a case of "damned if they do, damned if they don't" with the next revision but my guess is that they'll keep it internal as I reckon Mr Jobs is a Feng Shui kinda guy. :D

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I do hear what some of you guys are saying, especially in the case with the 13" and its space issues but was just curious on why so many people want the ODD external gone? For heavy duty stuff, our guys all use their Mac Pro's or iMacs because of the extra beef and real estate? Frankly I don't care much for gamers as they could easily go for a more suitably spunked-up Windoze notebook (no offence you gamers or Windoze users).

Dunno about external, but for the internal, it's probably because they legitimately believe that Apple will remove the OD and swap in a GPU, Extra Battery, SSD, USB ports, water cooling, internal 3G Modem and whatever else their little hearts desire, as well as 50 75% weight savings...
...not realizing that all those components (atleast a gpu, bigger battery, second HDD etc) could fit maybe individually but not all of them. And if Apple can realize ANY savings in thickness from the removal of the ODD then reductions will be made as seen historically.

Windows

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2010
The App Store has been released for over 4 hours now...

And a cd isnt a dead media, look how much music is sold via cd...Wal-Mart, FYE, Target, and K-Mart just to name a few locals. What about car stereos? Are we supposed to haul our ipods around everywhere to have music in the car? Many cars from factory have a Double-Din setup which supports ONLY cd...few support an AUX input let alone a USB input and a Double-Din radio is very expensive plus they arent the easiest thing to replace in a car. And im sure you think AM/FM radio is dead too.

Haul? Dude your iPod is the size of 2 CD's stacked together, if you consider that to big then you have problems. Most new cars already have easy plug and play options compatible with iPods or other MP3s.

300Billion

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
No question about Apples next MBP move

remove optical drive and replace it with fixed 64/128 and/or 256 SSD chips for the OS and keep the 7200 RPM sata options for storage.

Just like me: took out my optical (thanks macsales.com) dropped my 500GB sata there and added SSD for the OS
crazy fast

the only guys using cd/dvd are DJ's that copy MP3's and burn their mixes for promoters and groupies. So these guys (who by the way spend $3000 for the 15&17" laptops) will have to get an external optical drive!

WelshBluebird

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
UK
the only guys using cd/dvd are DJ's that copy MP3's and burn their mixes for promoters and groupies.

What??
I'd like to know what world you live in.

Haul? Dude your iPod is the size of 2 CD's stacked together, if you consider that to big then you have problems. Most new cars already have easy plug and play options compatible with iPods or other MP3s.

The point is most people who have a cd player in their car keep CD's in the car to listen to, so that they don't have to worry about remembering their iPod or whatever. Its just so much easier to leave a set of CD's in the car that are specificly just for in car use.
Yes, most new cars do. But most people don't own a new car.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
remove optical drive and replace it with fixed 64/128 and/or 256 SSD chips for the OS and keep the 7200 RPM sata options for storage.

As if MBPs aren't expensive already and this idea isn't going to help the cause. Besides, most people don't need 2x hard drives.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
What??
I'd like to know what world you live in.

The point is most people who have a cd player in their car keep CD's in the car to listen to, so that they don't have to worry about remembering their iPod or whatever. Its just so much easier to leave a set of CD's in the car that are specificly just for in car use.
Yes, most new cars do. But most people don't own a new car.

I remember the pain of using CD's in a car. Then I moved into the 21st century with this.

http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x305s/

Now my entire music library is at my fingertips.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
And now i just had a producer walk up and demand a CD of all the audio tracks for them to listen to in the car ride to another location...

...Most of my main clients do this type of workflow now, and they demand DVD's, CDs, and even Blue Rays, on the spot.

...Most of the people complaining about removing capabilities of the macbook pro have never opened Final Cut, or Logic with a client over their shoulder...

Maybe Apple should make a "MacBook Client" model, sounds like that is the person your computer is really working for. ;)

Personally, I think they should keep the optical drive internal on MacBook and MacBook Pro notebooks (And stop worrying about how thin the Pro is.) It's not a dead medium yet; Apple has just started to seriously provide a good way to distribute software without pressing DVDs. Digital distribution is growing, The Mac App Store will help that greatly. But many people (not in this forum, but they do exist:)) still use CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays.

Optical media is not dead but it will die soon.

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
Dear god yes! A slimmer design would probably make me highly consider upgrading to a 17" instead...I'd settle with an ad on usb superdrive/or get an external drive that can also do blueray - and rip dvd's/blueray's when I'm going on trips and still wanna watch the dvd's....music cd's I don't every use any more..the new app store thing gives me hope that they'll discard that internal drive for ever!

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I am glad to see it gone in 2011.

Will there be a major uproar if Apple does not remove the OD from the non-air MacBooks in 2011? At this point it's all speculation, I don't think there is any real hint or evidence of the internal superdrive being removed from any Mac that has it now.

Disgrace

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Do people still use DVDs and if so, what for?

Also, why do you need at least 500gb?

Herp derp. How do you expect to have a library of high-quality video without one or the other? According to you, we need neither.

The world is not ready for the removal of the optical drive, whether Steve likes it or not for this very reason. Not like Steve is going to give the Mac community 1TB drives at reasonable prices.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I use my DVD drive for watching DVDs, installing games, backing up, submitting coursework materials, quick and cheap method of sending large files between colleagues. All my course mates and colleagues use their DVD drives for the same reasons.

This morning I shipped out 15 copies of a game (along with other promo media) I produced to publishers and journalists around the world. Quick n easy.

WelshBluebird

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
UK
You can rip a CD though. Its a better option than switching between them on your computer even when you have a CD drive on hand all the time.

But without a drive, you can't rip the CD anyway. And I doubt many people would fancy paying £50+ for something that used to be included in the laptop for free.

If you don't produce music, or videos then... get an AIR!

Why?
Why should I be limited to a worse CPU, less RAM, less storage etc. Why should I be limited to not being able to play DVD's. Just because you want to go on some ego trip about the MBP lineup?
The Macbook Pro is a consumer device. The Pro name is just a name. Marketing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.