Does anyone keep their old phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TiaSco08, Sep 26, 2016.

1. TiaSco08 macrumors member

TiaSco08

I initially decided to hang on to my iPhone 6...just in case I broke my new one or had a family member who needed a phone. Anyhow, I've recently taken up photography as a hobby and bought a pricey camera and I'm wondering if it's silly to hold on to this 6 instead of selling it and putting the $$ towards my new hobby. What do you all think?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I retained my 6s Plus, being its in mint condition and I use it as a 'Phablet' for wifi purposes. I also use it for pictures and entertainment needs.

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've always wanted to but can't bring myself to keep something I could sell for 75% of the cost of my new iPhone. I wouldn't use the old phone and it would lose value year after year, so I ultimately sell my phones each year.

That way I can comfortably upgrade my phone each year without my wallet taking a huge hit.

5. TiaSco08 thread starter macrumors member

TiaSco08

That makes sense. Where do you sell your phones?

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've used eBay for the past 8 years to sell my phones each year. Always get top dollar for them. But they're always in good condition and I keep my box and stuff too so it's like the person is essentially buying a new phone.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Between my wife and myself, I keep one unit in each form factor and sell the others.

My collection consists of:

Original iPhone
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4s
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 7

8. Ezra923 macrumors regular

Might keep my 6. After many days on craigslist for $275 no one has said anything lol

9. ohms12 macrumors 6502

ohms12

I have no use for an old phone. Sell and fund the new one! No room for sentiment here.

10. big samm macrumors 65816

I keep all my old devices i never want to sell them i don't know why... i still have the 3Gs, 4 ,4s, 5, 5s, 6+, 6s+, 7+

11. Crazyfoo macrumors newbie

I either sell my old one it away.
    I listed my iPhone 6S/128GB with LifeProof Case, original box with untouched and unopened accessories and original bill of sale for $700 (Canadian) triple mint condition.
    If someone gives me the $700, Ill put that money towards the cost of the 7+, if it doesn't sell, ill give it to my gf or one of her kids.
    I know it doesn't make sense but I would rather give it away than get ripped off by someone trying to steal it from you on kijiji or whatever, its my weird principals.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I keep my 4s to serve as a:

1) backup phone
    2) car music player
    3) general ipod
    4) spare camera
    5) spare flashlight
    6) car gps device

13. TiaSco08 thread starter macrumors member

TiaSco08

Dang! That sucks!

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

We keep our old devices. Use them as media devices. We upgrade every 2.5 to 3.5 years using part of our tax refund so selling to fund the new phone is not necessary.

15. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Kept my SE. Returning the black 7 256gb. Just doesn't excite me to be worth nearly $1k.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why are you giving Uncle Sam an interest free loan? Increase your withholding allowances and keep the money in the bank.

17. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't.

We claim tax exempt. Other than FICA and state taxes nothing is taken out of my paycheck. At the end of the year I pay the tax for our number of exemptions.

EIC, Additional Child Tax Credit and student loan interest deduction gives us a refund. I'm the only one working so we rely on the refund for additional things.

19. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

There isn't many instances where you'd do something with your old phone that you can't do better with the new one.

I'd say sell it and keep the money separate for a tech fund. Then if you do need a backup phone a few years from now should you lose or break your new one, you'll have plenty of money to buy another new one.

Holding onto it is just wasting money. As a backup, AppleCare+ is $129 plus an incidence fee, but holding onto your old phone just in case is literally costing you $400 to $500 or more!

20. Koobs macrumors regular

Koobs

21. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Part of the reason is because carriers are doing yearly upgrades. So what happens that potential buyer went to the carrier because it made more sense to get a new phone every year. $275 is almost one year of payments on a new phone. On top of that the market is really slowing down. Smartphones are damn near everywhere and you don't need the fastest processor or the best camera.

22. Ternary macrumors regular

Another incentive to keep older iPhones is to reminisce about their design and older iOS versions. For best results, rewatch the Apple event when your older iPhone was announced, along with the associated tech buzz.

23. rain111, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

rain111 macrumors 6502a

rain111

I still have the ones I bought with their Boxes.

Original iPhone - Original Color
    iPhone 3GS - Black
    iPhone 4 - Black
    iPhone 5 - Black & Slate
    iPhone 6+ - Space Gray
    iPhone 6s+ - Rose Gold
    soon iPhone 7+ - Jet Black

24. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

I usually sell my old phone but I'm keeping my 6+ for now. It's jail broken and I can't seem to completely part with it & go through the hassle of selling. I like the idea of keeping it as a back up phone.

25. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

It's a $400 to $500 backup plan. You'd be better off with AppleCare or just pocketing the money and buying a new one if the current one breaks. After two generations of not selling the old one you'd be able to cover it easily if that happens. And you'd revert to using the newest model versus going back to an old generation.