Does anyone know what I can do about my lower back pain?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hieveryone, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Just thought I’d ask. Hoping for something “magical.” After all, this is an Apple forum :)

2. gymratjudy macrumors member

Lower back pain normally means weak abs and/or tight hamstrings. I recommend a hot shower and stretching while you are in it. Sort of try to reach for the ceiling sort of stretch. Once you get out, stretch the hamstrings by laying on the floor and alternating pulling your knees towards your chest. Follow up with alternating between a heating pad and an ice pack on the area. Works for me.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have a massage (from a qualified massage therapist) every week or so when I am home; it works wonders on my back and shoulder pain.

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Knowing the source is important because prevention and treatment can be different critters. But I wholeheartedly agree with @gymratjudy core work helps to reduce common lower back issues.

5. Christoffee macrumors 6502

Christoffee

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I had back pain for over two decades. Finally quit sugar and my pain went away almost instantly. Also, losing weight and working out, specially your core, can help. YMMV

7. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

I too have lower back pain. Recently, it became a little too much, so i rotated my mattress, turned the AC off at night and took a break from the gym. It has improved a lot. Warm showers and a heating pad helped as well.

I suspect that my 'core strength' (the trunk), is low too, which is something I need to address for a long term solution.

8. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Pain is one of those very nebulous things. Treatment absolutely depends on cause. A lot of things can present themselves as back pain, even a heart attack. See a doctor.

9. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Probably look at your posture. When you sit do you sit up straight, have a well supporting chair, take regular breaks from your desk and do regular stretches?

I see a chiropractor regularly as I have scoliosis in my neck. I highly recommend seeing one if its a long term issue. If its a short term thing, then have you done anything differently in the last few days (or repetitively?).

10. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Omg thank you all for the replies

I plan on going through all of them in detail when I’m completely free and can focus and learn, which I haven’t done yet.

—————————————————-

When you say you gave up sugar, what does that include?

Like is wheat bread ok? Or like fresh fruit? (not the ones with syrup)

I’m guessing by giving up sugar you mean like orange juice, cake, white pasta (maybe even wheat pasta?), cookies, etc (I’m getting hungry lol).

11. Ruggy macrumors member

It depends as others have said. There's been research to show that a lot of lower back pain is actually due to infection. I don't know how you go about having that diagnosed or how they treat it but apparently a very high percentage is caused by infection.
    If you have the sort of pain that moves from one side to another, or where you have episodes then the McKensie method really is magic.
    I was so depressed with years of pain and treatment and I tried the exercises and in a few days I was almost better. It's really simple and it really worked for me. You should look it up for yourself though.
    Generally, I'm not into anything that I think is magic or quackery, but in a few minutes I could feel the differnece.
    I also had a really good physio that gave me some exercises I have to do at least 3 times a week and they are pretty much like twerking. You have to rotate your pelvis forward and up and then backward and up and gradually, it stengthens and loosens the pelvis which can get stiff and pull on the lower back causing pain. You feel the range of movement increasing after a couple of days. You basically have to decide to do it for the rest of you life and to be honest, I haven't really had a problem for the last three years since I started doing that.
    But she also examined my posture too and gave me some good advice on that. You'd be surprised how often people get pain from how they sit on a chair, or how they sleep (Sleeping is very bad because you are relaxed and it's easier to put something out sleeping badly than trying to lift something heavy).

One of the commonest problems is people driving with a wallet in the back pocket. It causes back pain and sciatica. Doctors call the treatment a, 'walletectomy'.

I do still put my back out from time to time but you always know when that happens because you sort of feel locked. Both McKensie and the twerking type exercises can really help to put them back in again and when you rotate your pelvis really deeply, you can hear a click sometimes.
    I expect other strengtening exercises help too as others have said. I have seen the benefits. I have been really hurt in stretching and aerobics classes though as sometimes the teachers are crazy!

I've seen chiropracters, physios, osteopaths....So many over the years. I once even went to casualty (who offered me painkillers). For the most part, they don't do much but then you find one every so often that's absolutely brilliant.
    But my overall advice with professionals is:
    Don't trust anyone with your back that is selling crystals, candles or aroma oils in the waiting room.
    Don't trust anyone that tries to sell you a course of treatment at a discounted price. Ten tickets or a family rate.
    And don't trust anyone that tells you they can also help your colds and bronchial congestion with manipulation.

And while we're at it: water doesn't have a memory.

The very best of luck. There are solutions out there but back pain is so depressing, tiring an saps the will.
    I really feel for you.
    Take care

12. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

The MacRumor Forum Medical Center is not real.:p:D:rolleyes:

13. TheTruth101 Suspended

Go to sleep looking up, not face down.

I am 6'3, 43 years old. I had lower back pain A LOT. Went to doctors, chiropractors, pills, everything! Nothing worked. For some reason, someone told me was my sleeping position. I had so much pain I was not able to tie my shoes and I am 220 lbs.

I realized I had a belly and I was sleeping face down, that was aching my back. I started to sleep face up, even for the first 10 minutes. Then sleep on a side a bit but never letting my entire belly flat. In 3 days the pain was GONE and never again.

I got an Ikea mattress too, is like $120. Is a bit rigid and kind of flat. A year later I still perfect! That is the magic you are looking for. Sleeping position. No extra workout, nothing.

14. tdhurst macrumors 601

tdhurst

Yoga, a good mattress, and a resolve to stop sitting for so long.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I went full Atkins so I also gave up all carbs. I gave up soda and candy, the obvious ones. No juice no pasta etc etc. Also didn’t eat fruit or anything else with natural sugar for a few months. I’ve cheated a few times lately so I’m back on just meat and broccoli.

16. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Good for you. I'm really struggling. I did well for a few months, but then my occasional carbs became daily carbs. Time for another big reset.

17. GanChan macrumors 6502a

That's my term for most medical treatments. :D

18. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

That's good general advice, there's a lot of back issues in modern human beings due to the way we sit, sleep, eat, move. You really have to be proactive, get into good preventative habits.

Though like someone said, depending on how chronic it it, your age, etc., you might want to get your head around it with some real medical advice.

We go low/no Monday - Friday (unless it's some kind of special occasion, vacation, travel), and we've managed to really get into an easily repeatable groove, even when we come off a week in the Keys, we're right back on it.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

See a doctor, I'm pretty sure medical staff will be able to help you more then strangers on the internet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

You’d be surprised. Doctor isn’t going to say cut out sugar. He’s going to order tests firsts and maybe X-rays or MRIs....

21. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I have yet to try the massage route. Just the idea of someone putting their hands on me makes me feel a little uncomfortable, BUT that's just silly and I ought to give it a try.

Is there a specific way you get the massage? Like is there a name for the massage I can tell my future massage therapist?

And also, what all qualifications should I look for in my massage therapist? Like is there a degree or certification they should have?

Thank you!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2018 ---
    What about turning the AC off at night you think might have helped you? I keep my AC at like 60 at night and have 2 fans blowing from each side...

22. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

So from I understand, at least for some, on-going management is important? Not like a one and done and you're fixed?

I used to sit in an office chair for 8 hours straight for nights on end without getting up or even moving much for that matter, which is supposedly not a good idea.

I just REALLY miss the days when I was young and could pretty much do anything and still be as fit as a fiddle.

Eat whatever and not gain weight, sit for HOURS straight and no pain, jump and run without worry about my knees, and so on :(

23. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I honestly think that two fans blowing cold air on you can’t be helping.

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

The joy of old age! Still I hear getting old is better than the alternative.

My main problem is remembering my body can't do what it used to. Over do it one day, regret it the next!

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My massage therapist was a word of mouth recommendation from a neighbour - who herself had lived in the east for some years; from the therapist's perspective, I also had to come recommended (by our mutual friend).

The therapist herself is Swedish, and has studied eastern philosophies and massage techniques. I did not cross examine her - she came recommended and I have found her excellent.

Suffice to say that I have been availing of her skills for the past five and a half years when we are both around at the same time.