Does anyone like their iMac?

HappyMonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
I really want an iMac (27 inch, 2.7 CPU) After going through this forum for the past couple of days I'm now not so sure.

Potential problems
1. Dirty screen from inadequate sealing of the case,yellow tinge etc
2. Wifi dropping out
3. Noisy hd

Anything else I missed?

the dirty screen issue is a deal killer for me.im not prepared to fight with apple to fix it or pull it apart and fix it myself. What percentage of users do you think have these problems?

So convince me to buy an iMac please. Any good news stories?

Should I get a Mac mini instead?

Main uses are stock market trading and programming. I'm a 20 year Windows user and ex I.t professional

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
I really want an iMac (27 inch, 2.7 CPU) After going through this forum for the past couple of days I'm now not so sure.

Potential problems
1. Dirty screen from inadequate sealing of the case,yellow tinge etc
2. Wifi dropping out
3. Noisy hd

Anything else I missed?

the dirty screen issue is a deal killer for me.im not prepared to fight with apple to fix it or pull it apart and fix it myself. What percentage of users do you think have these problems?

So convince me to buy an iMac please. Any good news stories?

Should I get a Mac mini instead?

Main uses are stock market trading and programming. I'm a 20 year Windows user and ex I.t professional
For what you're doing, Mac mini's probably enough.

The number of iMac problems you see here is miniscule compared to the number of problems you see on Windows. Since you're an IT professional you shouldn't have most of those problems anyway.

And also Apple Care

Orion27

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2003
Why don't you drive over to the nearest Apple Store and test drive one?
Personally, I really like my iMac ( Dec. 2011 ). I don't have any of the issues you speak of. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
What percentage of users do you think have these problems?
The percentage of people seeing problems is most likely very small.

The mini is a pretty good computer, as well. Either choice would certainly do what you need it to do.

We have a mini at home as well and it's a great little computer.

Dpock

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Would a mini work with a 24" iMac that has a dead internal HD (meaning as a monitor)?

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
No problems with mine. I love it. Best computer I've owned and I'm in IT so I've owned (and even built) quit a few computers.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
We have 3 iMacs across various family members and while the oldest (circa 2008) has started to have some yellowing it doesn't bother the primary user. No issues with with the 24" 2009 or the 27" 2010. The 2010 is the best Mac I've owned in the past 10 years of Mac ownership. From outstanding screen real estate, the ability to handle OS X and a virtual Windows or gaming under Windows 7 bootcamp and support for connecting my Alienware gaming laptop to use the iMac as a monitor... it is by far the most versatile Mac I've even seen.

Now if Mac laptops supported input so they could be used as an external screen connected to a powerful iMac that would make a 17" MBP a contender.

Cheers,

HappyMonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Now thats a nice bit of positivity!

Thanks SR20DETDOG for the links. I missed those.

Looking through the threads I have seen a few issues. As someone else mentioned people will always complain is something is not right but rarely post to tell of good experiences.

I went to the apple store in Sydney Australia yesterday. I spoke to one of the staff members and he said he had no knowledge of screen issues and if there every were any apple would address the issue. This lack of acknowledgement made me think he was either clueless (he says he reads MacRumors) or trying to hide any issues.

So, yes Im still keen to buy an Imac and hope Im not in the small percentage of users who have an issue.

More happy customer stories please. Or complaints...

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
I have a 2011 21" iMac but:

1) screen is not "dirty"
2) wifi connects all the time
3) I would not know the iMac is on if the screen was not on it's that silent

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I went to the apple store in Sydney Australia yesterday. I spoke to one of the staff members and he said he had no knowledge of screen issues and if there every were any apple would address the issue. This lack of acknowledgement made me think he was either clueless (he says he reads MacRumors) or trying to hide any issues.
Or, he was told to give that answer by his boss. I'm sure there's plenty of training not to acknowledge issues with Apple stuff, because saying, "Yeah, some have yellow screens, some have dust under the glass, some have bad drives, and all have more trouble cooling than a system with better airflow" won't sell iMacs as well as, "I don't know of any issues! It's insanely great!"

HappyMonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Yes I dont really expect them to say 'we have a few problems with the imac'

From my reading of apple forums there appears to be a culture of not acknowledging problems from the apple crew until there are thousands of complaints and forums are reporting the problems all the time. This doesnt fill me with confidence.

I have an Ipad2 (love it) and iphone3g and 4g so I know and like some of their products. I have experienced after warranty expired issues with the iphone 3g. eg Making an appointment and getting another iphone 3g replaced with a refurbished 3g in which the wifi didnt work AGAIN. The next refurbished replacement fixed that problem.

So based upon the good reviews I have seen on this thread Im willing to buy an imac 27inch. Wish me luck ;) Im sure I will love it also

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Mine's great, but for the fact I can't easily get into it to swap in an SSD.

With a young family, I'm sure some folk can relate to why I don't have the time, space or energy to go digging deep inside the beast.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
From my reading of apple forums there appears to be a culture of not acknowledging problems from the apple crew until there are thousands of complaints and forums are reporting the problems all the time. This doesnt fill me with confidence.
It's more like, Apple won't acknowledge a problem until they've found a solution, and even then only to those who experience the problem. But it's true what they say - few people just wake up one day and decide to post they're not having any problems. The percentage who actually do have issues is quite low.

When someone does have an issue, at least in my experience Apple bends over backwards to make it right (again, if they know what to do). For example, my wife's iPad 2 got stuck in an extended stay in customs, so they refunded her smart cover that had already arrived. Then the iPad finally came, and it was a unit with light leakage from an improperly sealed screen. In the 3 weeks it took us to get over to the Apple Store, she managed to drop it and crack the top of the glass. Apple still swapped it out for a new one from their secret guaranteed light leak free reserve stock.

Michael383

Contributor
Mar 17, 2011
So based upon the good reviews I have seen on this thread Im willing to buy an imac 27inch. Wish me luck ;) Im sure I will love it also
Congratulations on your decision! Enjoy your new iMac.

I have a 2011 21.5" iMac and haven't had any of the potential problems you mentioned. In fact my iMac is the quietest desktop computer I've owned.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I had a 2006 iMac that needed replacement last year and opted for a Mac mini instead of the iMac. I regretted it. By the time I added the external drive, monitor, speakers, and other peripherals, I had a mess. And the performance was just not where i needed it for some games. So the mini is on my TV now and gets very little use. I like not love the new iMac. For me it is an aesthetics thing, but the performance and reliability are flawless so far. I just don't care for the aluminum and black glass look.