Does anyone like their iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HappyMonkey, Jan 23, 2012.

1. HappyMonkey macrumors newbie

I really want an iMac (27 inch, 2.7 CPU) After going through this forum for the past couple of days I'm now not so sure.

Potential problems
    1. Dirty screen from inadequate sealing of the case,yellow tinge etc
    2. Wifi dropping out
    3. Noisy hd

Anything else I missed?

the dirty screen issue is a deal killer for me.im not prepared to fight with apple to fix it or pull it apart and fix it myself. What percentage of users do you think have these problems?

So convince me to buy an iMac please. Any good news stories?

Should I get a Mac mini instead?

Main uses are stock market trading and programming. I'm a 20 year Windows user and ex I.t professional

2. srxtr macrumors 6502a

For what you're doing, Mac mini's probably enough.

The number of iMac problems you see here is miniscule compared to the number of problems you see on Windows. Since you're an IT professional you shouldn't have most of those problems anyway.

And also Apple Care

3. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

4. Orion27 macrumors member

Why don't you drive over to the nearest Apple Store and test drive one?
    Personally, I really like my iMac ( Dec. 2011 ). I don't have any of the issues you speak of. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

5. dizmonk macrumors regular

Waited a month for my 2TB 21.5" i7 and I love it!

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

The percentage of people seeing problems is most likely very small.

The mini is a pretty good computer, as well. Either choice would certainly do what you need it to do.

We have a mini at home as well and it's a great little computer.

7. tootall macrumors regular

8. Dpock macrumors member

Would a mini work with a 24" iMac that has a dead internal HD (meaning as a monitor)?

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I love my 27" iMac. I have zero complaints.

----------

No, there's no way to use an iMac as an external monitor like you describe.

10. imahawki macrumors 6502a

No problems with mine. I love it. Best computer I've owned and I'm in IT so I've owned (and even built) quit a few computers.

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

We have 3 iMacs across various family members and while the oldest (circa 2008) has started to have some yellowing it doesn't bother the primary user. No issues with with the 24" 2009 or the 27" 2010. The 2010 is the best Mac I've owned in the past 10 years of Mac ownership. From outstanding screen real estate, the ability to handle OS X and a virtual Windows or gaming under Windows 7 bootcamp and support for connecting my Alienware gaming laptop to use the iMac as a monitor... it is by far the most versatile Mac I've even seen.

Now if Mac laptops supported input so they could be used as an external screen connected to a powerful iMac that would make a 17" MBP a contender.

Cheers,

12. HappyMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Now thats a nice bit of positivity!

Thanks SR20DETDOG for the links. I missed those.

Looking through the threads I have seen a few issues. As someone else mentioned people will always complain is something is not right but rarely post to tell of good experiences.

I went to the apple store in Sydney Australia yesterday. I spoke to one of the staff members and he said he had no knowledge of screen issues and if there every were any apple would address the issue. This lack of acknowledgement made me think he was either clueless (he says he reads MacRumors) or trying to hide any issues.

So, yes Im still keen to buy an Imac and hope Im not in the small percentage of users who have an issue.

More happy customer stories please. Or complaints...

13. Akack macrumors 6502a

I have a 2011 21" iMac but:

1) screen is not "dirty"
    2) wifi connects all the time
    3) I would not know the iMac is on if the screen was not on it's that silent

14. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Or, he was told to give that answer by his boss. I'm sure there's plenty of training not to acknowledge issues with Apple stuff, because saying, "Yeah, some have yellow screens, some have dust under the glass, some have bad drives, and all have more trouble cooling than a system with better airflow" won't sell iMacs as well as, "I don't know of any issues! It's insanely great!"

15. HappyMonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I dont really expect them to say 'we have a few problems with the imac'

From my reading of apple forums there appears to be a culture of not acknowledging problems from the apple crew until there are thousands of complaints and forums are reporting the problems all the time. This doesnt fill me with confidence.

I have an Ipad2 (love it) and iphone3g and 4g so I know and like some of their products. I have experienced after warranty expired issues with the iphone 3g. eg Making an appointment and getting another iphone 3g replaced with a refurbished 3g in which the wifi didnt work AGAIN. The next refurbished replacement fixed that problem.

So based upon the good reviews I have seen on this thread Im willing to buy an imac 27inch. Wish me luck ;) Im sure I will love it also

16. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you and your new iMac will get along wonderfully.

Enjoy!

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

27" iMac i7 2GB graphics 16GB RAM quiet, fast and reliable :)

18. Cripps macrumors regular

19. thestickman macrumors regular

20. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Mine's great, but for the fact I can't easily get into it to swap in an SSD.

With a young family, I'm sure some folk can relate to why I don't have the time, space or energy to go digging deep inside the beast.

21. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

People here whine to much. My 27 iMac eats everything for lunch. It is the fastest thing I have owned. The people here represent probably 1/10 of 1% of iMacs with issues

22. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

It's more like, Apple won't acknowledge a problem until they've found a solution, and even then only to those who experience the problem. But it's true what they say - few people just wake up one day and decide to post they're not having any problems. The percentage who actually do have issues is quite low.

When someone does have an issue, at least in my experience Apple bends over backwards to make it right (again, if they know what to do). For example, my wife's iPad 2 got stuck in an extended stay in customs, so they refunded her smart cover that had already arrived. Then the iPad finally came, and it was a unit with light leakage from an improperly sealed screen. In the 3 weeks it took us to get over to the Apple Store, she managed to drop it and crack the top of the glass. Apple still swapped it out for a new one from their secret guaranteed light leak free reserve stock.

23. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Congratulations on your decision! Enjoy your new iMac.

I have a 2011 21.5" iMac and haven't had any of the potential problems you mentioned. In fact my iMac is the quietest desktop computer I've owned.

24. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

I also have the 21.5" 2011 iMac an I absolutely love it. No problems at all.

25. JBazz macrumors 6502

I had a 2006 iMac that needed replacement last year and opted for a Mac mini instead of the iMac. I regretted it. By the time I added the external drive, monitor, speakers, and other peripherals, I had a mess. And the performance was just not where i needed it for some games. So the mini is on my TV now and gets very little use. I like not love the new iMac. For me it is an aesthetics thing, but the performance and reliability are flawless so far. I just don't care for the aluminum and black glass look.