Does anyone NOT jailbreak their iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brayhite, Jun 27, 2010.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I'm getting my first iPhone with the iPhone 4, but I'm not (completely) new to OS. After skimming through countless threads on here for years (or at least since March 2008 when I got my first MBP) and finally getting the to ask myself question: is jailbreaking the phone really worth it? I'm not really for modding any type of original software provided with anything, but I've read numerous times that an iPhone is best when jailbroken. I guess I'm just paranoid about breaking warranties with AppleCare/Squaretrade, completely ruining the phone's usefulness or bogging it down with malware, etc. One reason I like the iPhone is because of the curated AppStore that provides a security blanket, but JB'ing an iPhone seems to go completely against that.

I'm not going to be an idiot and download anything advertised for the iPhone, but I also don't care to JB it if it's not really going to enhance my experience with it. So my question again is if it's really worth JB'ing, especially with iOS 4, or is iOS 4 going to work well enough?

And if there's a thread about this already, sorry. I searched and after seeing a page full of everything but a thread devoted to this, I decided to create my own.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I used to Jailbreak my old 3.1.3 iPhone, however now I have upgraded I don't feel the need. iOS fills the gaps that I had to fill with Jailbreaking.

3. Wailord macrumors 6502

I'm 100% content with iOS4. I'm not like some Apple fanboys, either, that are like LOLAPPLEDOESNTLIKEITSOITSEVIL... I just don't see a point. I had it jailbroken on 3.1.3, realized there was no real point, re-jailed it, and iOS4 is excellent.

4. hunter x az macrumors member

The allure of piracy and free apps is too strong for most < 30yr old users to avoid, so yeah I'd say most in that demographic crack it for the free apps. The "functionality" excuse is just that, an excuse. :p

5. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

So all in all, don't worry about it? There were a few additions to iOS 4 that some posters said rendered their favorite qualities of the JB'd iPhone 3GS useless, but others still preferred some of the apps and what they could do to the hardware to improve the experience. But no real reason anymore, eh?

JB'ing an iPhone 4 won't improve antenna quality will it? Just a shot in the dark.. (that's a complete joke)

6. attanasi0 macrumors newbie

^I might only be 19 but LockInfo, Wi-fi Sync and SbSettings are pretty damn useful.
    so is installous...

My point here being that the jailbreaking of the iPhone can in fact be useful.

7. dmx macrumors 6502

The only reason I would consider JBing now is for 3G Unrestrictor, but I haven't decided if I will yet.

8. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I do not, and will not jailbreak. I did on an older phone, and had nothing but performance issues. Lag, crashes, glitches, constant restores, re-jailbreaking, and process of elimination to find the culprit... Nothing but headaches, for me anyway.

I need my phone to work at it's best, so I choose to use it as intended.

9. iLeoMarc macrumors regular

Yeah same here, wonder how facetime works with that. My guess is not so well.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

With iOS4, I don't see the need other than tethering.

And now I'm looking at another solution for tethering.

11. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

12. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I got my iPhone 4 on Thursday to replace my 3G. I've always been just a little too paranoid to play with my cellphone like that so I just jailbroke my 3G yesterday- mostly to satisfy my curiosity to run mini vMac. Now I'm very new to this and have much to learn about how to properly use cydia but thus far i haven't seen anything about it that I really care for. It runs slower, pops up error messages all the time, and theres nothing intuitive about it. it's certainly more of a project then I expected. Not the straight forward 'miracle cure' people act like it is in my opinion.

I got mini vMac to work, which is pretty cool to show people, but that's it.

I am interested to see how it works from a technology standpoint but I don't think I'd ever open up my primary phone like that. iPhone 4 and iOS 4 is pretty spectacular, and at this point I see no specific benefit to jailbreaking.. But maybe that's because I'm a noob:):)

13. attanasi0 macrumors newbie

You can tether without jailbreaking, pretty sure it's in General -> Network
    Then you can tether via USB or Bluetooth. The only reason i can see a link between jailbreaking and tethering would be MyWi or whatever it was that makes your iphone a hotspot...

14. iDabble macrumors regular

i've JB my old phones but never kept it that way for more than a couple weeks. it just bogs the phone down, plus then you're always having to play catch up with the updates. although i enjoyed being able to play NES games on my iphone, i'm content without jailbreaking

15. Built macrumors 68020

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

jailbreaking doesnt void anything and doesnt have any "spyware" the repo owners will take anything bad down. tho there are not api restrictions like in apples app store. which is why i jb and lots of cool stuff.

17. Tee Hee macrumors member

For some reason my 3GS on IOS4 is a bit more sluggish than when it was on 3.1.2JB...

18. alex1089 macrumors newbie

I've had about 5 different iPhones. All were jailbroken because I needed the unlock. Now I have an iPhone 4. And I like it but really miss the jailbreak. Apps such as bitesms, sbssettings, custom email/txt sounds and maybe a theme for some variety are a must.

I've experimented more then enough with various apps. So i already know what slows down my phone and what doesn't.

19. Pathfinder3 macrumors member

I've jailbroken iOS4 on my 3G. Like someone stated earlier, I really like and use LockInfo. SB Settings is also a must for me and being able to mod the message received sounds. I also enjoy the creativity of themers, with their UI, SB layouts, icons, ect. I'm not running Winterboard now, but I am using Shrink for the icons (looks sweet at 80%). Lastly, I do prefer Categories over the native folders.

20. markthrash macrumors 6502

markthrash

Only reason I would possibly consider having my older brother (jailbreaking GOD) jailbreak my phone would be for text tones and maybe custom colors on the text bubbles. I seriously cannot believe text tones are not available yet. :(

21. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

I had a jailbroken iPhone since the release of the first iPhone. To begin with for the unlock but even when I didn't need that I still jailbroke the 3G and 3GS.

I don't use many jb apps as I think they can slow down the OS but some utilities like SBsettings are extremely useful.

I mostly jb to customise my icons and the look of my OS.

22. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

That's bullshxt. There's a lot more functionality to a jailbroken phone. Ios4 is good and all, but is deffinatly still lacking. Let's not kid ourselves. I had only minor ill effects from jailbreaking which came in the form of springboard crashes every once in a blue moon. No lag, no glitchiness for me on a 3GS.

23. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Rubbish. If you could not get free apps by jailbreaking, you wouldn't do it. Same reason why people hack their PSP. "to run homebrew" they all cry...grabage. It's for piracy and you know it.

24. lathode macrumors member

Well enough for what? You can do more jailbroken. Personally I'm waiting a while to see how well jb i4 runs once it's done.

That's going to be a "new" feature in iOS 5! Can't wait, so innovative!

25. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

Without biting, iOS4 still isn't anywhere near as good as a jailbroken 3.x - this alone is reason enough to jailbreak.