Does anyone's screen NOT turn pink in natural light?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thelookingglass, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Does your new iPad exhibit a pink tint when you're in lots of natural light?

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    64.1%
  1. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Yes, I know screen tint issues have been discussed to death on here. I'm talking about a very specific issue here. My screen is generally fine, but when I'm in my car or otherwise in a place with lots of natural light, the screen turns noticeably pink. It's especially noticeable when contrasted against the iPad's white bezel.

How many of you are experiencing the same?

2. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

For the nine people who voted no ... really? No pink whatsoever when you view your iPad under natural lighting conditions (i.e., in your car, on your patio, etc)?

The title of this thread and the title of the poll aren't consistently worded, so I wanted to make sure.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

I get the pink hue when in my car. At home under natural light it's fine. I wonder if it has anything to do with the UV protection offered by our car windows. You know like those transitions glasses don't don't work when you're in your car?!

4. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

The car's not the issue in my case. I get the same effect when standing on my patio. It's definitely related to one of the layers on the screen and the way it handles natural light.

5. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

Mine stays yellow, even under natural light :( :D

I'd love to get a pink one. Or a white one, someday... :eek:

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

For those showing pink screens in outdoor lighting, do you have white iPads? I read somewhere that white iPhones had a different screen treatment to account for glare from the white front. Would imagine this could apply to white iPads.

7. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting, but yes. I do indeed have a white iPad. I wonder if that truly is the issue here.

8. Dan14 macrumors regular

9. The Special One, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

The Special One macrumors member

Pink Screen blues....

I am on my third white Verizon model. All of them turned noticeably pink under natural light, and have a slight pinkish tint under artificial light. I believe this to be inherent in the screen of the product.

The third one at least has a relatively uniform screen. The first two were blotchy messes. I am keeping the third. Great product marred by a screen that wasn't ready for mass production. I have an original I Pad and my daughter has an I Pad 2. Neither have had a single issue. Sigh.

10. number84 macrumors 6502

mine's white as well. anyone with a black one with the same issue? i'm not that concerned since most of my use is indoors under artificial light anyway, but would be curious to know if there was a difference in how they made the screen based on bezel colour.

11. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have a black AT&T 64 gig model and I just checked again. No pink, no yellow, no splotches. The bottom 1/4 (when used in landscape mode with the Home button on the right) did have a bit of yellow 'dusting' when I first got it. It has cleared up now. I do still see it a bit when reading an iBook in portrait mode but that's about all.

I was comparing my new iPad to my iPad 2 when I first got it. There was quite a bit difference. Screen on the new one was a lot 'warmer' and had the dusting. But in the last month it has gotten whiter. I know most of you will say I'm just 'getting used to it' but I can still compare them and I know my screen is now better.

I wouldn't put up with a bad screen. The iPad is basically just a big screen and if that part doesn't look right it spoils the entire experience. I'm not buying 'that's just the way all the screens are'. Had mine not been very good I would have returned it once. If the second was still bad I would have just gotten a refund and gone back to my iPad 2. Way, way too much money to just 'settle'.

12. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

My "Pinky" is a white Verizon 64 LTE. Even screen, though. I'm living with it...:eek:

13. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

I've let a post on the other thread. Check Apple Store today. Most display units (black & white) are pinky ones. More similar to iPad 2... Some are bad in the homogeneity section, other are better.

No one is as good as an iPad 1st gen panel.

14. iko. macrumors newbie

Exactly the same! It was yesterday when I was using it for the first time inside the bus. I knew this iPad (black model) was a bit pink but not that much.

Inside my house I can see that if I look to the screen from the left in portrait mode is greenish, looking from the right pinkish. This Retina Display has something of an hologram.

15. Kyllle macrumors 6502

I have a black iPad and haven't had any of these screen problems. Only issue I've had is with the wifi, but it's not bad enough to take it back 13 times like some people on this forum.

16. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

I love my uneven tint on my iPad I have an array of colors that is fit for a clowns show, come on apple fix this issue

17. thelookingglass, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

So I took my iPad in to the Apple store. Showed them pics of the issue, told them couldn't reproduce the problem inside the bright lights of the store (100% true ... I'm convinced even subpar screens look good in there). No real questions asked, swapped mine out. Great service the whole time.

New one is also a white iPad. Absolutely no pink or green tints whatsoever. Uniform brightness. Only flaw is slight yellowish in the upper left, but I'm willing to live with that. Showed the Smartypants, but he said it'll be tough to find a perfect screen. He was super nice already, so I didn't want to press the issue. Given that some users on here have been able to get rid of the yellow tint with some screen burn-in, I'll take my chances with this one. The not-quite-pink-but-not-quite-white while indoors and the "hey look, im pink" outdoors was driving me nuts.

Moral of the story, if you have pink it's absolutely a defect and you should swap it out.

UPDATE: just can't win with the new iPad. Disappointed to say the least. Now that I've been able to play with the new unit, ive found that it looks incredibly yellow where my old one looked pink. Brightness is more uniform than my old one, but everything looks yellow in certain lighting. Oh well. I'm not going to bother exchanging anymore. Hopefully this technology matures enough that next year we won't have to go through this.

18. iko. macrumors newbie

19. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

Good question. I've only had my new iPad for 6 hours, but I'm finding something very bizarre. First, with the brightness at 100%, there is no perceptible yellow tint (at least to my eyes). The screen looks gorgeous. Whites look white. Slide the brightness down to 50% or below, however, and the screen gets a bit more yellowish. I don't understand enough about the science of LED technology or the human eye to make any educated comments on this phenomenon - just stating what I see. I don't know if perhaps it's my eyes that are getting accustomed to the screen or if it's something that the screen itself is doing.

In the car earlier I was quite disappointed with how yellow the screen looked. Now at home, sitting next to my iMac, the screen looks just fine. It's a little bit warmer than my iMac's screen, but I wouldn't call the tint yellow.

I need a little bit more time with the machine, but as of now I'm enjoying this replacement much more than the original. Brightness is very uniform, no dim patches. And certainly no faint pink/green splotches.

20. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I had this exact same thing on two iPads, both of which I returned. In darkness or subdued interior lighting they looked white. In the car, or in front of a window, they took on a pink tint. Any natural light at all caused them to become pinkish. Lying in bed on Sunday morning with the bright sunshine bouncing off the white wall behind me: pink.

This is why I took them back. FWIW Both had the black bezel and were 32GB wifi models.

TBH I think ALL iPads might have this problem but the fact is — how can I put this — few people leave their house very much, so don't spot it. :rolleyes: People just don't use the iPad outside. Lots of people in this forum are hard-core geeks who consider natural light to be a dangerous thing.

21. thelookingglass thread starter macrumors 68000

Good to hear from someone with a black iPad. But, I can say with absolute certainty that this is not a problem that affects all iPads. The replacement iPad i got today does not look pink at all outdoors. It's yellow. lol ...

22. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Honestly I refuse to think that this is a real problem

23. NTeggerdine macrumors member

I don't get any type of color on my iPad 3 screen it stays the same in all lighting

24. The Special One macrumors member

It's a problem if you paid almost $900 and you have a craptastic screen that is pink and and green. If not, then yeah you are correct, it's not a problem for you.

25. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

We are not talking about the yellow tint issue here. Mine is Perfect, uniform, no dead pixels, no light bleed, no yellow tint, but yes, under sunlight the white appears a bit pinky. Doesn't look like an Hw defect to me. You know, a monitor, made of reflective glass, natural light, who knows what's going on. There must be a reason why pro put those dark covers around their studio monitor and do not work in garden.