Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your new iPad exhibit a pink tint when you're in lots of natural light?

• Yes

Votes: 52 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 93 64.1%

• Total voters

The Special One

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2012
Nieither does my iPad 1 or my daughter's iPad 2. But I have received three pinky New iPads. The first two were also blotchy messes. This screen still needs to get the bugs worked out of it.

The Special One

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2012
We are not talking about the yellow tint issue here. Mine is Perfect, uniform, no dead pixels, no light bleed, no yellow tint, but yes, under sunlight the white appears a bit pinky. Doesn't look like an Hw defect to me. You know, a monitor, made of reflective glass, natural light, who knows what's going on. There must be a reason why pro put those dark covers around their studio monitor and do not work in garden.

I know we are not talking about a yellow tint. I also know the first two pinky iPads I received were also blotchy green and red messes. Just not the Apple experience that I'm use to and clearly defective. The third is also pinky, but at least serviceable. If you think all of that is not a problem for a screen advertised as "Resolutionary"....oh well.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Yes, I know screen tint issues have been discussed to death on here. I'm talking about a very specific issue here. My screen is generally fine, but when I'm in my car or otherwise in a place with lots of natural light, the screen turns noticeably pink. It's especially noticeable when contrasted against the iPad's white bezel.

How many of you are experiencing the same?

mind does, in both of my cars that i have noticed, one has 15% tint, the other i just bought so it has no tint. But i think almost all auto glass now days is treated for some sort of UV protections even with out tint Ill check outside again later on my break.

EDIT* its also more noticeable when the brightness is turned down..

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I know we are not talking about a yellow tint. I also know the first two pinky iPads I received were also blotchy green and red messes. Just not the Apple experience that I'm use to and clearly defective. The third is also pinky, but at least serviceable. If you think all of that is not a problem for a screen advertised as "Resolutionary"....oh well.

I just don't understand if you have those problems ALWAYS or under the specific settings stated by the OP.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I previously had a pink iPad and it seemed less pink in natural light. My new iPad screen is perfect so there is not pink in either lighting.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
A few things to add to my story (two iPads, both had pink tints in natural light but not in darkness or subdued artificial lighting):

1. It got worse if I wore my glasses. Just standard mild prescriptions of astigmatism (which is why I sometimes wouldn't wear them -- I only wear them if I'm getting eye strain). No polaroid coating but there is an anti-scratch coating.

2. Turning up the brightness helped eradicate it but not completely. It was most noticeable on 50-70% brightness. But that would often again mean eye strain because I was boosting the brightness to get rid of the pinkness.

And this video might be relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78GdcXCM9nk

girluknowitstru

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
UV protection on windows makes screen pink-ish.

I had the same thing happen to me in the Dubai Airport. The windows in the terminal there are heavily coated in UV protection and as a result ALL of my apple-prodcut screens looked pink. I origionally thought something had happened when I went through secuirty x-rays, but was reassured by the airport lounge staff that it was the filtered light comeing through. They have a lot of poeple ask the same question.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
My 1st iPad (3rd gen black), had a perfect white screen inside and outside, but had dust under screen so went straight back and changed it. Long story short, my 3rd iPad, (black model) has the pink tint that's more noticeable outside.

It's caused by the different types of glass used, which makes sense as it changes hues in daylight. I wished I kept the 1st ipad though as it had the best screen, but have decided to stick with this one as I don't want to risk getting a worse model.

I have got rid of the pink tint by jailbreaking and installing color profiles.

Very happy now :)

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Yes, I know screen tint issues have been discussed to death on here. I'm talking about a very specific issue here. My screen is generally fine, but when I'm in my car or otherwise in a place with lots of natural light, the screen turns noticeably pink. It's especially noticeable when contrasted against the iPad's white bezel.

How many of you are experiencing the same?

I use my iPad outside in the yard & on my porch daily, no pink screen here.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
I've gone through a total of three iPads. One of them turned pink outdoors. Had it swapped out at the Apple store, no questions asked (and this was after the 14-day return period). Of course, I also showed them a few pictures I'd snapped of the screen turning pink.

Oblivion3333

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
My 1st iPad (3rd gen black), had a perfect white screen inside and outside, but had dust under screen so went straight back and changed it. Long story short, my 3rd iPad, (black model) has the pink tint that's more noticeable outside.

It's caused by the different types of glass used, which makes sense as it changes hues in daylight. I wished I kept the 1st ipad though as it had the best screen, but have decided to stick with this one as I don't want to risk getting a worse model.

I have got rid of the pink tint by jailbreaking and installing color profiles.

Very happy now :)

Can you still upgrade to iOS 6 seeing as you have jail broken it?

I just wish they would install colour profiles as standard.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
Can you still upgrade to iOS 6 seeing as you have jail broken it?

I just wish they would install colour profiles as standard.

Won't be able to upgrade to ios6 until jailbreak is available if I want to keep color profiles. Not too bothered at mo because 6 won't be released for a few months yet.

MattWeed9

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
Mine does have a yellowish hue to it when the brightness is low in natural light. I have not returned it and don't consider it a defect of the product. There is to many variables to consider. Most of my portable devices do not do well in the sun, so the fact i turn it up to 75% brightness and it is fine works for me. I never really use it out doors anyways.

bunnyhero

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
i just got a new ipad a few days ago: white, 16GB. the display has a slight pink tinge, especially in daylight. under fluorescent lights it's much less noticeable, except for the bottom and right edges (when held in portrait), where there is still a pink tinge.

i'm still not sure if i will return it, based on reading other people's reports about displays, and the return cycle... mine seems like it might not be so bad. i'll see how much it bothers me in a few days.

yesterday i went into an apple store and also a best buy and looked at the display ipads. the ipad 2 units all had perfect displays, colourwise. the new ipads had a lot of colour tint variation when held side-by-side (purple, greenish). one in best buy was extremely pink, and this was at night, under store lights.

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Mine is ok. Had it out in the bush on the weekend, didn't notice any issues..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.