Does Apple check if you are a college student?(online)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddany, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ddany, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

ddany macrumors member

Hey,
    I just wanna ask you guys if Apple will check it if I am a college student,when I order an MBP online?

I've read some threads about it,and there were different answers.

So anyone has experience

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, they check a random sampling of orders. Are you willing to commit fraud for a small discount?

3. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

This is what ruins it for everyone else. Eventually enough people do it... then they stop offering it.

4. The Man macrumors 6502

Nobody should answer the OP question, and this thread should be closed.

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

6. hamlin macrumors regular

Seeing as you need to put in the College/Uni you go to, yes they will obviously check to see if you go there. Otherwise everyone would do it...

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Im pretty sure they go off your college email and it has to match an email @X.edu that they have on file for the college you picked.

8. Blu101, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010

Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Keep in mind it's not only for students. It also applies to school teachers (I think employees in general as well), or parents of students. Do you qualify?

If not, you can always find a student or parent of a student to buy it for you. There's no rule against them gifting their purchase away ;) and you simply register it in your name when you first turn it on. Make sure you keep a copy of the receipt and if someone asks for a warranty repair or something, just explain it was a gift from so and so.

PS: if you know someone who works at an Apple store, they can get you a friends and family discount, which is something like 15% off, perfectly legit. You can also buy from amazon, which saves you almost as much as the education discount, with no sales tax + free shipping. And there are other sites that offer discounts on Apple products too (macmall, etc.). Google search is your friend.

9. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I put in my old school and got all the way up to the checkout screen with no further check, and my e-mail was not a .edu account. I didn't buy it that way, I was just testing it, but you can search and select any school in the country..

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

no

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

So your saying they give $100-$200 off just because you pick the educational store...

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yep. You can even buy it. Then Apple do a random selection from those and contact you to get copies of your documentation before shipping.

13. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I go to college so I don't have to worry, but they've never asked me before.

I simply choose my school, and check out. I use my gmail email address.

There is no "Enter your example@school.edu"

Not saying OP should do it, just stating what I know.

14. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Yes.

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Well I had to send them a scan of my student ID card.
    I ordered on the phone and here in Europe it is a 12% discount which ist about 250 € off a 15" BTO. You can only order on a phone for this discount and I just made a picture with my digital camera and sent him the picture by mail.
    Off course the name on the card has to match the name on the bill but in theory anybody can order for you.
    Every student can buy one discounted item a year and most students at least in Europe don't have any Apple product which means it is really easy to find one who can get you a MBP for a discount.
    It is not illegal to resell the Notebook immediately afaik.

16. ddany thread starter macrumors member

I have even heard that a guy walked into an Apple store and nobody asked him to show his ID or anything... He got a new MBP with a discount ,because he said he is a college student.

I am not saying that I am going to risk anything to get -100 or 200$ but if it is "available", why not?

17. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

yes.
    for the fun of it I picked a school I had never herd of, and used a hotmail i made for the purpose, no problem

18. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Sounds like someone is trying to commit fraud

19. jdaniel macrumors 65816

I dont think there is a law for apple fraud LOL what on earth do you guys do for a living LOL..........

Apple can choose to sue you, to claim the money but no one can prosecute you for "apple fraud", they can also charge the amount if you purchased with a credit card....but you cant go to jail/or be prosecuted....for this "fraud" LOL jebus

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There does not need to be a law for Apple fraud. Just plain straight old fraud is illegal. Even attempted fraud is illegal.

21. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I should note that I go to an eligible school, I just did what I did to test it out.

22. ddany thread starter macrumors member

I will not commit any FRAUD lol... I will not even attempt it ...
    I will order from Amazon.
    So just keep calm,you Apple police guys!:p

23. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

I plan on buying a new mbp about December 10th. I Graduate from Uni Dec. 6th.

I don't feel bad about it....

Probably gonna go ahead and get a masters anyway.

24. jdaniel macrumors 65816

fraud in itself has to have a basis for prosecution find me a prosecutor who wants to prosecute someone for posing as a student to get a discount...you guys watch too many movies..