Does apple need to increase the ppi Retina Display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Doctor11, Dec 21, 2013.

1. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Does apple need to increase the ppi Retina Display? I am starting to feel that the next iPhone needs a higher ppi. Yes retina display is clear but there are times I feel it could be better. On iOS where those circles are that show you your cellar signal if ones not full it doesn't look so good. Retina Display is 326 ppi but the Samsung Galaxy s4 has a ppi of 441. Do you think apple needs to increase the number of pixels per inch?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'd be fine with a bigger display at the same ppi. a 720p display at the current density would be 4.5 inches. it's a good size for the iphone.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Id rather have an an extra hour or two of battery life... Than wasted pushing more backlight through ever tinier pixels,

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

indeed I concur this would be ideal!

^ that automatically comes with the larger screen size even at the same thickness, battery technology, and A7 processor chip technology, the battery capacity would be increased roughly 700-1000-mAh at best.

5. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I think it already looks great. Cant really tell the difference between a gs4 and my 5s.
    Actually the retina does look better.

6. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

7. zmon macrumors member

It'll probably be 1080p at best on the 6. Maybe we'll eventually see 4k on the 7 or 8. Screen size does need to increase though, and I'm sure it will for the 6.

8. nw9 macrumors regular

If the next iPhone is larger in size then yes I think the resolution should increase to either maintain the same ppi or increase in ppi. Some people can't see the difference in ppi but I can when the ppi becomes too small. I don't want Apple to go less than the current ppi. If it doesn't affect battery life or performance too much then yes more ppi would be good, but I'm okay with the current ppi on the iPhone 5.

9. elfy macrumors 6502

No it doesn't. It's already higher than it needs to be. The human eye can't differentiate between pixels at the size they are now so an increase would have literally no visible difference.

And the screen size doesn't need to increase either in my opinion. It's a phone. It needs to fit comfortably in a pocket. This obsession with bigger and bigger phones is getting ridiculous.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It would be great.

I'm not impressed by androids 1080 displays. They are just pumping specs to seem better than competitors.
    iPhone DPI is enough, if they are going to release a bigger screen I just hope for a DPI non lower than that.

11. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Hmm.. I can clearly see the pixels at the signal strength circles. These are not really round. The same at the stopwatch circles/numbers.

12. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yes but i am starting to feel certain things aren't as clear. Its no where near as bad as my PC monitor where i see every pixel but i think if apple took the ppi to 400 that would be good.

And I hope apple keeps the 4 inch display. I like using my phone in one hand.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Are you sure this is not because of lazy app developers?

Fun article on ENOUGH PIXELS ALREADY.

14. The Doctor11, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

100% sure! Look up at the signal thing on an iOS device. The empty circle just isn't clear.

Attached Files:

15. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Sorry but that picture is not as clear as it should be. I'm not sure why. But just look for you self if you ever see a circle is not filled. And if your playing a game and you pull down and you see that down arrow that pulls down the notification center that's not clear too.

16. elfy macrumors 6502

Are you holding the phone at the kind of distance you'd normally hold it when using it, or are you holding it inches from your face? Because that's the only way I can see what you're seeing. And that's not how you use a phone.

17. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I see it holding it a normal distance from my face and my vision is not so good. And if you see it and you are holding it to close to your face then its still bad because you should be able to hold it where your most comfortable.

18. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If your vision is not so good, then it's probably not the phone's fault it's not clear.

Looks file to me. I personally don't want a higher PPI or a larger display. I just want a little more battery lift.

19. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I see clearly up close its when things get farther away i cant see so i know its not me

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You can CLEARLY see pixels at the signal strength circles ????????? :confused:

OMG, superman is a Macrumors forum user :eek:

What about OCD in this forum ... :rolleyes:

21. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have the same eye sight problem, and I have glasses because of it. Up close I am fine, things far away I can't see as good so I need glasses.

22. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I think they will increase the ppi hopefully next year. The original Retina Display started in 2010 with iPhone 4 so hopefully they will upgrade.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Don't believe the apple hype. Current retina isn't sharp enough to be truly indiscernible to our vision.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-retina-isnt-enough-feature/

24. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

After using a HTC One for about 6 months with its 4.7", 1080p, 469ppi display. I have to say, it was incredible. Apple just isn't there yet, but I hope they are soon..

25. elfy macrumors 6502

Just going by my own experience. I've used an iPhone 4 for three years and haven't once noticed individual pixels while using it, unless I hold it two inches from my face. My eyes must be broken.