Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
You can CLEARLY see pixels at the signal strength circles ????????? :confused:

OMG, superman is a Macrumors forum user :eek:

What about OCD in this forum ... :rolleyes:

Pssst!!!!! Don't tell anyone.

Of course I mean not individual pixels but the complete sharpness is just missing. The circles are not circles to me. But the stopwatch numbers are a better example. Look at them 0'00'00. These zeros are not that sharp.
All this is also because of iOS 7's new font but it's there.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
They don't need to but I'm sure they will just to keep dumb consumers happy that only look at the spec sheet.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
If they increase the size they should at least match the 326ppi they have now... If they wanna make it a better ppi I'll take it

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
No it doesn't. It's already higher than it needs to be. The human eye can't differentiate between pixels at the size they are now so an increase would have literally no visible difference.

And the screen size doesn't need to increase either in my opinion. It's a phone. It needs to fit comfortably in a pocket. This obsession with bigger and bigger phones is getting ridiculous.

You are a prime example of how people become victims of Apple's amazing marketing machine. The whole "definition" of retina is a made up marketing campaign. By Apple's definition, they will NEVER release a screen with higher than retina PPI. But we all know that Apple will eventually release a higher density screen which will then, according to their retina definition, make no sense. And trust me, if Apple were to double the pixel density on the iPhone you WOULD notice.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
YES
Apple is behind in lots of specs now. They have bad screen resolutions, no customizable features, they block certain programs from running on the ios software, and they kinda put stupid things as a priority, not things customers want. Like how they want to make their devices slimmer, but say you have the iPod touch 5g. The camera sticks out and makes it unstable on flat surfaces because they want it slim, but if they just make it slightly thicker (as thick as the camera part) it would be stable but they would also have more internal room for a larger batter adding at least another 45 minutes of battery life.

----------

Also look at the screens on the galaxy or HTC one... 441ppi

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
YES
Apple is behind in lots of specs now. They have bad screen resolutions, no customizable features, they block certain programs from running on the ios software, and they kinda put stupid things as a priority, not things customers want. Like how they want to make their devices slimmer, but say you have the iPod touch 5g. The camera sticks out and makes it unstable on flat surfaces because they want it slim, but if they just make it slightly thicker (as thick as the camera part) it would be stable but they would also have more internal room for a larger batter adding at least another 45 minutes of battery life.

----------

Also look at the screens on the galaxy or HTC one... 441ppi

I like phones to be thin.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
THe 4s wasnt fat. adding 1.5mm to the 5 would be .5mm less than the 4s...

Ok so you say that adding 1.5 is nothing and say the 4s is fat. The 4s and 5s have 1.9 mm between them. But if 1.5 is nothing and and you only want to take away .5mm from the 4s doesnt that still make it fat?

----------

Back to the forum do you think apple needs to increase the ppi of retina display?

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Does apple need to increase the ppi Retina Display? I am starting to feel that the next iPhone needs a higher ppi. Yes retina display is clear but there are times I feel it could be better. On iOS where those circles are that show you your cellar signal if ones not full it doesn't look so good. Retina Display is 326 ppi but the Samsung Galaxy s4 has a ppi of 441. Do you think apple needs to increase the number of pixels per inch?

I don't see why it needs to be improved past the point where the human eye can't perceive the difference. Since my eyes are no longer what they once were I'm happy with the current displays. I'll never be able to see the difference if they increase the ppi in the future.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't see pixels or anything but I can clearly tell there are more clear/crisper screens on the market now.

A coworker of mine has an HTC One and it looks really good.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I really, really don't think we need higher DPI. I can't make out ANY pixels unless the screen is a couple of inches from my face, like others have said.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Go to this screen you can clearly see the pixels on the side. CLEARLY

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 100

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I think it is fine the way it is. I'd rather have a larger screen than a higher ppi.

A larger screen would automatically need a higher resolution ... and since they would be engineering that then they would like to go even higher not just to the same PPI

However, the reason Apple Screen looks more pleasant than higher PPI Android devices sometimes is because of the typefaces and Anti-Aliasing done systemwide ... Anti-aliasing (smooth vs jagged edges) was removed from Android starting ICS ... even on lower ppi I still prefer the way iOS renders fonts ... Android with higher PPI ends up with really sharp edged (not jagged) fonts which just stick out too much IMO.

Apple Needs to go higher : NO
Apple wants to go higher : MAYBE
Apple Should go higher : I HOPE
Apple Will go higher : Oh god please Yes

elfy

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
You are a prime example of how people become victims of Apple's amazing marketing machine. The whole "definition" of retina is a made up marketing campaign. By Apple's definition, they will NEVER release a screen with higher than retina PPI. But we all know that Apple will eventually release a higher density screen which will then, according to their retina definition, make no sense. And trust me, if Apple were to double the pixel density on the iPhone you WOULD notice.

I love when people on the internet decide what other people are, despite not knowing them. As I already said, basing it on my personal experience more than anything but you just go ahead and ignore that.

----------

I'd guess that's more to do with how that image is rendered rather than an inability to display it, otherwise surely all diagonal straight lines would look like that?

I could be wrong.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Hmm.. I can clearly see the pixels at the signal strength circles. These are not really round. The same at the stopwatch circles/numbers.

My signal circles are crystal clear. perfectly round, and clear as a bell.

----------

What happened to ur circle argument? they look great in this pic. And the stepped edge of this graphic is not because of pixel size. Cmon.

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
I'm not sure they *need* to do anything. An increase in screen size would likely be accompanied by an increase in pixel count anyway. I'll be honest though, the 5S screen is behind the competition's and continues to fall back further. Brother just got the Nexus 5, and it's screen is considerably better than my 5S. Watching TV shows on the train is not the same experience; mine feels gimped. Some of these Android phones are just more crisp, have better viewing angles, and seem to look more "fluid" than mine. It's hard to explain, and the difference isn't "blow you away" big, but I do notice it.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If the next iPhone is larger in size then yes I think the resolution should increase to either maintain the same ppi or increase in ppi. Some people can't see the difference in ppi but I can when the ppi becomes too small. I don't want Apple to go less than the current ppi. If it doesn't affect battery life or performance too much then yes more ppi would be good, but I'm okay with the current ppi on the iPhone 5.

I suppose no one likes a small ppi. Personally, I'd like a more bigger ppi.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
A larger screen would automatically need a higher resolution

Why would it automatically need a higher resolution? The iPad Air and retina Mini have the same screen resolution and come in different sizes. The retina mini actually has a higher PPI than the air.

----------

What happened to ur circle argument? they look great in this pic. And the stepped edge of this graphic is not because of pixel size. Cmon.

His circle argument was specifically about the empty circles, not the filled ones. Admittedly, the empty circles do have a little jaggedness, but that is for the same reason that the edges on the graphic he posted have jagged edges.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
My signal circles are crystal clear. perfectly round, and clear as a bell.

----------

They looked great cuz they were full.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.