Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Ok so you say that adding 1.5 is nothing and say the 4s is fat. The 4s and 5s have 1.9 mm between them. But if 1.5 is nothing and and you only want to take away .5mm from the 4s doesnt that still make it fat?

----------

Back to the forum do you think apple needs to increase the ppi of retina display?

No I stated the 4s IS NOT FAT. And nobody even used to complain the 4s was fat...who cares...

shifty27

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
NO. The screen is fine as it is (I have had a HTC One + Samsung Galaxy S4 for 3/4 months each. Didn't notice much difference in pixel terms.

What apple needs to do is get record breaking battery life next iPhone out. No-one is crying out for another ghz increase in cpu speed. I'm sure the majority of users would just love more battery life or am I mad?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
No I stated the 4s IS NOT FAT. And nobody even used to complain the 4s was fat...who cares...

I care

----------

NO. The screen is fine as it is (I have had a HTC One + Samsung Galaxy S4 for 3/4 months each. Didn't notice much difference in pixel terms.

What apple needs to do is get record breaking battery life next iPhone out. No-one is crying out for another ghz increase in cpu speed. I'm sure the majority of users would just love more battery life or am I mad?

Battery life would be nice but to me I would want more pixels more.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
As a former s4 owner I can verify that anyone claiming the ppi difference is visible is falling victims to the placebo effect. Period. There is a color difference but clarity is just as good. This density war is pointless.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
As a former s4 owner I can verify that anyone claiming the ppi difference is visible is falling victims to the placebo effect. Period. There is a color difference but clarity is just as good. This density war is pointless.

That maybe true for some people but that's a pretty bold claim for everyone based on your vision.

20/20 is considered "normal". It's also the BARE MINIMUM for fighter pilots. I have 20/15 (well I did 10 years ago probably worse now). So unless you have the best vision of anyone ever then it's a moot point having a statistic of 1.

HTC one like I mentioned earlier looks sharper to me. And maybe it is a placebo to some extent maybe not. Regardless it looks better due to either pixel density, colors, and/or size.

The current ppi on a iPhone is more then adequate for me, but that doesn't mean it is for everyone or it couldn't be better.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Btw there is a problem with resolution.
iOS is not Android, they have defined resolutions available , like 640x960 (iPhone 4/4s) , 640x1136 (iPhone 5/5c/5s), 1024x768 (iPad 2/Mini) and the latest 2048x1536 (retina iPads).
What resolution are they going to use in a 4.7" iPhone 6 (for example) ?

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
That maybe true for some people but that's a pretty bold claim for everyone based on your vision.

20/20 is considered "normal". It's also the BARE MINIMUM for fighter pilots. I have 20/15 (well I did 10 years ago probably worse now). So unless you have the best vision of anyone ever then it's a moot point having a statistic of 1.

HTC one like I mentioned earlier looks sharper to me. And maybe it is a placebo to some extent maybe not. Regardless it looks better due to either pixel density, colors, and/or size.

The current ppi on a iPhone is more then adequate for me, but that doesn't mean it is for everyone or it couldn't be better.

News flash: if you're nearsighted things are actually REALLY CLEAR up close. Fighter pilots need 20/20 to have good vision at a DISTANCE. So unless you're holding your phone 20 feet away it doesn't really matter what your vision charts at.

Holding the two phones at a normal distance you absolutely cannot say one has greater pixel density than the other. It only comes into play when you're practically touching your nose to the damn thing and if you're stressing about individual pixels at a proximity you'll never actually be OPERATING it at then you're falling victim to a "spec battle" rather than actual usage.

If you make the PPI higher, all it's going to do is make things look a tiny bit clearer when you press your face against it. It is absolutely NOT going to help with clarity AT ALL when it comes to holding it at a normal distance. Remember the PPI is actually higher on both devices than the MBPr (the 15 has a PPI of about 220, which is around HALF of the S4). Are you going to tell me the MBPr should DOUBLE its density?

It's placebo effect. Put the two phones on a table or have someone hold them at a normal distance and there is no way to differentiate it. All that is different is the color quality (the S4 has more "pop" IMO, which makes it look prettier).

----------

Btw there is a problem with resolution.
iOS is not Android, they have defined resolutions available , like 640x960 (iPhone 4/4s) , 640x1136 (iPhone 5/5c/5s), 1024x768 (iPad 2/Mini) and the latest 2048x1536 (retina iPads).
What resolution are they going to use in a 4.7" iPhone 6 (for example) ?

"Retina" refers to a given pixel density at a specific usage distance. On phones it's about 320, on laptops around 220. So a 4.7" phone would have whatever resolution would give it 320ppi. Simple as that. As Steve Jobs once pointed out, when you have a device 10-12" from your face, you can't see pixel density any higher than about 300.

A 4.7" diagonal would be 321ppi if they used 800x1280 (standard laptop resolution turned 90 degrees), which is Retina level.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
News flash: if you're nearsighted things are actually REALLY CLEAR up close. Fighter pilots need 20/20 to have good vision at a DISTANCE. So unless you're holding your phone 20 feet away it doesn't really matter what your vision charts at.

Holding the two phones at a normal distance you absolutely cannot say one has greater pixel density than the other. It only comes into play when you're practically touching your nose to the damn thing and if you're stressing about individual pixels at a proximity you'll never actually be OPERATING it at then you're falling victim to a "spec battle" rather than actual usage.

If you make the PPI higher, all it's going to do is make things look a tiny bit clearer when you press your face against it. It is absolutely NOT going to help with clarity AT ALL when it comes to holding it at a normal distance. Remember the PPI is actually higher on both devices than the MBPr (the 15 has a PPI of about 220, which is around HALF of the S4). Are you going to tell me the MBPr should DOUBLE its density?

It's placebo effect. Put the two phones on a table or have someone hold them at a normal distance and there is no way to differentiate it. All that is different is the color quality (the S4 has more "pop" IMO, which makes it look prettier).

----------

"Retina" refers to a given pixel density at a specific usage distance. On phones it's about 320, on laptops around 220. So a 4.7" phone would have whatever resolution would give it 320ppi. Simple as that. As Steve Jobs once pointed out, when you have a device 10-12" from your face, you can't see pixel density any higher than about 300.

A 4.7" diagonal would be 321ppi if they used 800x1280 (standard laptop resolution turned 90 degrees), which is Retina level.

Do you know what 20/20 means using the Sneller Chart means?

20/15 vision means you can see things at 20ft as clear as someone with "normal vision" can see them at 15ft. This applies to everything, all around better vision. Fighter pilots need 20/(20 or less) aka standard or better, which is farrrrr from uncommon. 20/10 isn't uncommon but not rare.

That's all besides the point. I'm sorry you cannot see a difference like myself and many others in this thread can. But you are still trying to force your experience on others.

Let's be realistic here. You are basing your experience on too many variables. 1. Your eyes. 2. The distance you hold your device from your face. 3. Just yourself.

Seeing pixels and noticing differences in clarity are two totally difference things.

For example, I can not see pixels on my 56" LCD sitting across the room when it's in standard definition. However I can immediately tell you if I'm watching SD or HD. I can even tell a difference between 720 and 1080p.

Technically at the distance I sit from my TV a pixel is smaller then my iPhone at 1 1/2 - 2 feet. Yet somehow I can see a difference in SD, 720, and 1080. Can you not regardless of distance too the TV?

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Do you know what 20/20 means using the Sneller Chart means?

20/15 vision means you can see things at 20ft as clear as someone with "normal vision" can see them at 15ft. This applies to everything, all around better vision. Fighter pilots need 20/(20 or less) aka standard or better, which is farrrrr from uncommon. 20/10 isn't uncommon but not rare.

That's all besides the point. I'm sorry you cannot see a difference like myself and many others in this thread can. But you are still trying to force your experience on others.

Let's be realistic here. You are basing your experience on too many variables. 1. Your eyes. 2. The distance you hold your device from your face. 3. Just yourself.

Seeing pixels and noticing differences in clarity are two totally difference things.

For example, I can not see pixels on my 56" LCD sitting across the room when it's in standard definition. However I can immediately tell you if I'm watching SD or HD. I can even tell a difference between 720 and 1080p.

Technically at the distance I sit from my TV a pixel is smaller then my iPhone at 1 1/2 - 2 feet. Yet somehow I can see a difference in SD, 720, and 1080. Can you not regardless of distance too the TV?

Yes, I'm aware of the Sneller chart, the idea is that the second number is how far away a person with "perfect" vision would be to see an object with the same clarity as the testee at 20 feet. I'm well aware, and fully admit to needing some intense corrective lenses. Are YOU aware of the fact that it starts to collapse at close distances?

Also, speaking of lenses, they do exist. With my contacts in I have 20/10 vision. So... how's that again about my bad vision?

As for SD to 720 to 1080, yes you can tell that, but realize that on a 56" TV the difference in PPI is HUUUUUGE between 720 and 1080. As in, 720p is 26ppi and 1080p is 36ppi. That's a MONSTROUS increase because you're dealing with REALLY low resolutions in comparison to screen size. Small things will start to smush together in a blur even at 1080p on a huge screen because the pixels are REALLY spread apart. You can't use the retina definition at that size. I can even tell 720p versus 1080p on a 37" screen from a comfortable distance, because the PPI is pretty damn low. 720p is less than 30ppi on big screens, and no matter how far away that is you'll be able to tell the difference.

What's gonna happen is eventually they're going to start cramming 4K resolution into phones and people like you are going to claim that you can tell 1000ppi versus 1200ppi on a phone.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Does apple need to increase the ppi Retina Display? I am starting to feel that the next iPhone needs a higher ppi. Yes retina display is clear but there are times I feel it could be better. On iOS where those circles are that show you your cellar signal if ones not full it doesn't look so good. Retina Display is 326 ppi but the Samsung Galaxy s4 has a ppi of 441. Do you think apple needs to increase the number of pixels per inch?

If nobody published the PPI #s of smartphone screens, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's all about perception.

I've had plenty of samsung friends who said the retina display looks nice and i've had many iOS friends who said samsung screens look nice; i doubt either had any idea with the exact PPI numbers were.

I for one personally don't mind the screen. HD videos are in HD, pictures are crisp and clear, can't complain. high PPI is only necessary in larger screens.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
New York
If nobody published the PPI #s of smartphone screens, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's all about perception.

I've had plenty of samsung friends who said the retina display looks nice and i've had many iOS friends who said samsung screens look nice; i doubt either had any idea with the exact PPI numbers were.

I for one personally don't mind the screen. HD videos are in HD, pictures are crisp and clear, can't complain. high PPI is only necessary in larger screens.

All I'm saying is I think some things aren't clear and I want to get a higher ppi

sahnjuro

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
No, decrease its product's prices.

If Apple wants to achieve world domination, they really should reduce prices, but they won't because they gotten used to the fat profit margin of iPhones. So they will lose the marker control in time.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
It goes beyond being able to spot individual pixels or not, it's about the level of detail. Play a high quality Full HD video on a 1920x1080 phone and play that same video on an iPhone. While you won't be able to see the individual pixels on either phones, the 1080p phone will display a sharper and more detailed video. Will that video has to be down converted to 1136x640 and will undoubtedly look softer. It doesn't matter if you can't see the individual pixels on either phone, it will still look softer on the iPhone.

The iPhone's display is below HD standards and they should increase the resolution soon..... Now I know that a lot of people may not notice the difference between SD and HD, or DVD and Blu-ray, or streaming HD and Blu-ray, so the current display of the iPhone is perfectly fine because they don't look for these things. But for those people that can easily spot the differences, and HD iPhone display will be very good for them.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I want less PPI to be honest, my circles are all way too defined. I like a vintage look.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It goes beyond being able to spot individual pixels or not, it's about the level of detail. Play a high quality Full HD video on a 1920x1080 phone and play that same video on an iPhone. While you won't be able to see the individual pixels on either phones, the 1080p phone will display a sharper and more detailed video. Will that video has to be down converted to 1136x640 and will undoubtedly look softer. It doesn't matter if you can't see the individual pixels on either phone, it will still look softer on the iPhone.

The iPhone's display is below HD standards and they should increase the resolution soon..... Now I know that a lot of people may not notice the difference between SD and HD, or DVD and Blu-ray, or streaming HD and Blu-ray, so the current display of the iPhone is perfectly fine because they don't look for these things. But for those people that can easily spot the differences, and HD iPhone display will be very good for them.

Battery life for me is first and foremost. I would like the most resolution for a given screen size as long as battery life is not compromised.

Bishope1999

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2010
Battery life for me is first and foremost. I would like the most resolution for a given screen size as long as battery life is not compromised.
Well, I think part of that problem is that all these cell phone manufactures keep pushing for thinner and thinner phones. I think that if they weren't trying to make the phones thinner every time, it would allow them to add larger battery, also a slightly larger lens for the camera as well. So if they would be willing to make the phones a little bit thicker, you would get great battery life with current resolutions or greater resolutions.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Id rather have an an extra hour or two of battery life... Than wasted pushing more backlight through ever tinier pixels,

If those tinier pixels come with better screen sensitivity so we can better draw etc on the screens, I might be won over.

If they are just doubling the density to over wank folks like Samsung, nope

----------

It'll probably be 1080p at best on the 6. Maybe we'll eventually see 4k on the 7 or 8. Screen size does need to increase though, and I'm sure it will for the 6.

I believe the 5 series is 1080p. And I doubt the phones will ever be 4k. iPads maybe.

----------

Sure it is. And Marilyn Monroe is obese

----------

Battery life would be nice but to me I would want more pixels more.

Unfortunately the average person, who represents something like 98% of the market! feels battery life is more important than anything.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Nope, but if they switch to an IGZO display like the iPad Air, they could increase the resolution without impacting battery life, so they may as well do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.