Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_Andrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
Hey everyone, my apologies if this question has been asked before.
I need to service my 13 inch 2015 MacBook Pro. The computer is working fine, although I need to service the battery since its nearly 7 years old. Does Apple still service this machine or should I look for a 3rd party repair? :)

Ilzen&Mac

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009
Krefeld, Germany
Hey, I was able to replace a battery in my 15" MBP 2015 in Germany at an official Apple Service partner in May 22, so the official batteries are still there.

What has negatively surprised me though: The service informed me, Apple does not supply only batteries and therefore a whole unibody case with the keyboard (bottom lid not included) must be replaced all together… Not only I had to pay 150€ for that, I also didn’t even need a new body for the laptop, 5 years later it was still in a great condition. Not to mention that from the environmental side this is totally unfair to do if I try to keep using a long lasting quality device.

Had done it anyways though, maybe you will be able to get a more reasonable option from Apple! ;)

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Hey, I was able to replace a battery in my 15" MBP 2015 in Germany at an official Apple Service partner in May 22, so the official batteries are still there.

What has negatively surprised me though: The service informed me, Apple does not supply only batteries and therefore a whole unibody case with the keyboard (bottom lid not included) must be replaced all together… Not only I had to pay 150€ for that, I also didn’t even need a new body for the laptop, 5 years later it was still in a great condition. Not to mention that from the environmental side this is totally unfair to do if I try to keep using a long lasting quality device.

Had done it anyways though, maybe you will be able to get a more reasonable option from Apple! ;)

Pretty sure that’s standard for getting the battery replaced, they can’t just replace the battery.

Mac_Andrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
Pretty sure that’s standard for getting the battery replaced, they can’t just replace the battery.

I've seen the iFix it tutorials but since the battery is glued to the case I'm not risking it... Ideally I want an original Apple battery not a gimmick that's gonna fail on me after less than a year, or one that will swell and break the top case. :/

Reactions: kitKAC

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You didn't say where in the world you are.

In the USA, Apple will replace the battery for $199 -- IF they still have replacement batteries for the 2015 in-stock.

Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store anywhere close?
NOT a "3rd-party provider" -- I mean a REAL "Apple Store".

If so, make an appt with the genius bar RIGHT AWAY and take it to them.
Let them have a look at it and see if it qualifies for the $199 replacement.
For that price, you get:
- a new, Apple-labeled battery
- installation
- a short warranty.

You're not going to find a better deal than that.

If you DON'T have an Apple Store near, you might give Apple a call anyway.
They might be willing to send you a prepaid shipping box.
You ship it to them -- they repair it -- then they return it to you.

kdanielps

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2022
They Will. I just went thru this. $199. I was first told that part of the case would be replaced
and then told it would NOT be... that they'd replace just the battery. This at an Apple Store in California.
Unfortunately for me, I bought that used from MacSales - great place BTW. I refused to buy one of their butterfly keyboards at the time on a newer model
I opted to upgrade the SSD to 1TB..

Apple refused to actually replace the battery because the SSD had been replaced and not by Apple.
I knew of their policy but forgot that the SSD had been replaced.
The SSD had no connection to the battery issue. But they still refused.

Reactions: darwinboxselector

Mac_Andrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
OP:

You didn't say where in the world you are.

In the USA, Apple will replace the battery for $199 -- IF they still have replacement batteries for the 2015 in-stock.

Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store anywhere close?
NOT a "3rd-party provider" -- I mean a REAL "Apple Store".

If so, make an appt with the genius bar RIGHT AWAY and take it to them.
Let them have a look at it and see if it qualifies for the $199 replacement.
For that price, you get:
- a new, Apple-labeled battery
- installation
- a short warranty.

You're not going to find a better deal than that.

If you DON'T have an Apple Store near, you might give Apple a call anyway.
They might be willing to send you a prepaid shipping box.
You ship it to them -- they repair it -- then they return it to you.
Oh sorry I'm based in London, UK :)

Mac_Andrew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
They Will. I just went thru this. $199. I was first told that part of the case would be replaced
and then told it would NOT be... that they'd replace just the battery. This at an Apple Store in California.
Unfortunately for me, I bought that used from MacSales - great place BTW. I refused to buy one of their butterfly keyboards at the time on a newer model

Apple refused to actually replace the battery because the SSD had been replaced and not by Apple.
Oh no! I replaced the stock SSD with a Samsung one.... 🤦‍♂️ will I have any problems?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire

Interesting that this support article doesn't cover the 2015 MacBook Pro 15. It does cover the 13 as vintage though. The 2014s are obsolete.

Best thing to do would be to call a local store and talk to a person and ask them, and also ask them if they have the battery in stock.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area

Interesting that this support article doesn't cover the 2015 MacBook Pro 15. It does cover the 13 as vintage though. The 2014s are obsolete.

Best thing to do would be to call a local store and talk to a person and ask them, and also ask them if they have the battery in stock.
Vintage is 5 years since last distributed by Apple, obsolete is 7 years since last distributed by Apple. The 15" 2015 MBP was sold by Apple up to mid 2018, which is less than 5 years ago.

In any case, battery replacement is 10 years since distributed for sale (provided parts are available):

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 9.19.41 PM.png

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

Is this their policy - if you replace the SSD they won't service the battery?

daughter took laptop in for new battery and they said "other damage" and seem unwilling to replace just battery.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It's my understanding that if the battery is saying 'needs service' at least, then even if top case is part of the replacement, you should only be charged for the battery if the case is in acceptable condition.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It's my understanding that if the battery is saying 'needs service' at least, then even if top case is part of the replacement, you should only be charged for the battery if the case is in acceptable condition.

...and they won't do it if you'd simply like it done?
(battery at 82% -- but hoping to get a fresh one before they raise the prices by $50 soon)

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
...and they won't do it if you'd simply like it done?
(battery at 82% -- but hoping to get a fresh one before they raise the prices by $50 soon)
I think they can refuse to do it for the battery replacement only price if they deem it not necessary, but I think that comes to case by case basis.

Though that may just be devices that need a whole device swap like watches, but I have a recollection it could apply in general.

Last edited:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I had one replaced a few months ago from my local Apple Store. It was $425.00 ! Came with New Battery, New Track Pad & New Keyboard. They said thats the only way it comes.. Was worth it for me.
Was this a battery saying needs service, or just a request to have it replaced in general?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I had one replaced a few months ago from my local Apple Store. It was $425.00 ! Came with New Battery, New Track Pad & New Keyboard. They said thats the only way it comes.. Was worth it for me.

Oof

I love my 2015, but I'd honestly pass on most anything for it past that $199 battery replacement at this point.

Reactions: macsound1

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Oof

I love my 2015, but I'd honestly pass on most anything for it past that $199 battery replacement at this point.
I wouldn't blame you, I actually replaced the battery myself with a third party one for about 80 euros in my old 2015, just to have an 'ok' battery in it. Honestly wasn't that bad to do, just have to be slow and careful.

But this was replacing a swollen battery, so it couldn't be shipped to apple for repair officially.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Anyone remember what the advertised battery life was for the 2015's when new?

I sort of forget what should be expected

Mine has gone from 100% to 36% in 1:45 and I'm just browsing and using Apple Music on the couch

Trying to hang on for that rumored MBA 15" (I really hope that's a real thing)

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Anyone remember what the advertised battery life was for the 2015's when new?

I sort of forget what should be expected

Mine has gone from 100% to 36% in 1:45 and I'm just browsing and using Apple Music on the couch
Whatever it was I never got it, but check coconut battery to see how it compares currently to design capacity.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Whatever it was I never got it, but check coconut battery to see how it compares currently to design capacity.

I was wrong earlier -- Coconut says 87% of design capacity
Sheesh -- Sucky

If I could pop an NVMe of my choice into an M1 or M2 MBA, I'd probably be on one already..
Hard to stomach up around 2 grand just to get 16gb/2TB, especially to get a screen size downgrade

(such a massive rip on upgrade pricing)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.